JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Yesterday I received a solicitation from the Oregon State Sheriff's Association asking that I send them $30 to be an "Honorary Member". Today I sent back their enrollment form in their envelope with 'Yes' crossed out and 'No' written in. I also included the following handwritten letter:

Sheriff Myers,

I have received your mailing soliciting funda for the Oregon State Sheriff's Association. Normally I would be inclined to support Law Enforcement in general and your organization specifically.

However, your organization's recent failure to stand up for the Second Amendment rights of the citizens you serve with a strong condemnation of gun control measures currently proceeding through State and Federal Legislative Bodies has caused me to no longer consider supporting your group.

Please remove my name from your mailing list and stop sending me solicitations until such time as you reconsider your stance on citizen's rights to keep and bear arms.

Respectfully,

Greg
Turner, Oregon​

I encourage all of you who received a similar mailer to do the same :)

I got the same solicitation in the mail with a kind message from Wash Co. Sheriff Pat Garrett to donate funds to help Oregon Sheriffs. I, for a minute, considered making a donation, but then I remembered his letter outlining his stance on the second ammendment. As I recall ol' Pat seemed to waffle a bit in his support. Well guess what? I seemed to waffle some when it came time to pull out the wallet and make a contribution........

Geez, I give you guys another route to write letters of protest and make elected officials feel some small measure of pain in their pocketbooks and you turn it into a thread about waffles. And chicken fried steak. Who eats steak with their waffles anyhow?

:eek:ffwall::s0064:

In case anyone isn't familiar with what the Oregon State Sheriff's Association did (or didn't do, as the case may be) in regards to gun rights, here's the applicable OFF Alert:

While numerous Oregon Sheriffs (and actually, sheriffs nationwide) have made it clear that they will oppose any attempts by the Obama administration to ram through dangerous and unconstitutional gun grabs, the Oregon Sheriff’s Association, as a group, has decided to take a dive.

In an email to Oregon’s sheriffs, the President of the OSA, Jason Myers, of Marion County, said the following about gun rights:

“After a very robust conversation on this issue it was the consensus of the Sheriffs present that our Association should not take a formal stance on this issue. At this meeting it was also agreed that I should reach out to US Attorney Amanda Marshall to notify her of our Association position and intent by the Sheriffs present to work collaboratively with our Federal partners’ agencies.”

This is a very troubling and dangerous position. The county sheriffs are the supreme law enforcement officers in their jurisdiction. For Myers to speak for all sheriffs and say they won’t “take a stance” on this issue and will “reach out” to the Feds who are working overtime to eliminate your rights is nothing short of frightening. The Sheriff’s Association, as an organization, has climbed in bed with the tyrants who want to disarm you and your family.​

02.06.13 Gun Rights Update - Oregon Firearms Federation

Gentlemen, gentlemen.

If you've going to waffle, you need to waffle with peanut butter.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go to Safeway and get some.

In case anyone isn't familiar with what the Oregon State Sheriff's Association did (or didn't do, as the case may be) in regards to gun rights, here's the applicable OFF Alert:

While numerous Oregon Sheriffs (and actually, sheriffs nationwide) have made it clear that they will oppose any attempts by the Obama administration to ram through dangerous and unconstitutional gun grabs, the Oregon Sheriff's Association, as a group, has decided to take a dive.

In an email to Oregon's sheriffs, the President of the OSA, Jason Myers, of Marion County, said the following about gun rights:

"After a very robust conversation on this issue it was the consensus of the Sheriffs present that our Association should not take a formal stance on this issue. At this meeting it was also agreed that I should reach out to US Attorney Amanda Marshall to notify her of our Association position and intent by the Sheriffs present to work collaboratively with our Federal partners' agencies."

This is a very troubling and dangerous position. The county sheriffs are the supreme law enforcement officers in their jurisdiction. For Myers to speak for all sheriffs and say they won't "take a stance" on this issue and will "reach out" to the Feds who are working overtime to eliminate your rights is nothing short of frightening. The Sheriff's Association, as an organization, has climbed in bed with the tyrants who want to disarm you and your family.​

02.06.13 Gun Rights Update - Oregon Firearms Federation
Where can I find out where my county sherriff stands with out actually asking him personally?I live in lake co. btw.

Stuffing waffle!!

DSC_0024.jpg

I would simply ask them, in fact would be nice if there was a petition to get the OSSA to release their position since they are asking for public funds.
However not supporting the OSSA is silly based on one statement by the organization and not the Sheriffs themselves.
The OSSA, did not say they would do or not do anything and that needs to be addressed before suggesting a boycott.

They had an opportunity to take a position and chose to publicly take no position. Additionally, they chose to make public that they would contact the Feds and pledge to help enforce Federal restrictions.

Failure to oppose is silent support. Pledge to help enforce is actual support.

What could be clearer?

My email to myers: " Sheriff Meyers, I am a Marion County resident and voter. Your recent actions with the OSSA are dead wrong. You have a duty to uphold the constitution and protect the citizens of your county. Potentially allowing the federal government to violate our 2nd amendment rights and agreeing to continue to collaborate with the federal government couldn't be more contrary to the principles on which this nation was founded. We are a republic which means the states have more power than the federal government. The county sheriff is supposed to be the highest law enforcement officer in the land, not any federal officer. Do what is right and support us. Sign on with the other sheriffs of this nation that are standing up for their citizens. I feel strongly enough about this for you to lose my vote if your actions are not corrected."

My email to myers: " Sheriff Meyers, I am a Marion County resident and voter. Your recent actions with the OSSA are dead wrong. You have a duty to uphold the constitution and protect the citizens of your county. Potentially allowing the federal government to violate our 2nd amendment rights and agreeing to continue to collaborate with the federal government couldn't be more contrary to the principles on which this nation was founded. We are a republic which means the states have more power than the federal government. The county sheriff is supposed to be the highest law enforcement officer in the land, not any federal officer. Do what is right and support us. Sign on with the other sheriffs of this nation that are standing up for their citizens. I feel strongly enough about this for you to lose my vote if your actions are not corrected."
will be interesting hearing his reply.

I can't, in good conscience, give another dime to anything that should be paid for but isn't because PERS keeps asking for more and more money to fund the same type of scam that would land a private citizen in prison. Getting very tired of politicians, and now sheriffs, holding out their hands while threatening to do even less of the job they have already been given taxes to do.

I can't, in good conscience, give another dime to anything that should be paid for but isn't because PERS keeps asking for more and more money to fund the same type of scam that would land a private citizen in prison. Getting very tired of politicians, and now sheriffs, holding out their hands while threatening to do even less of the job they have already been given taxes to do.
Your off track on the pers comment. Pers has been villified over the years. Many fixes have already been put in place. Oregon's pers is one of the most well funded public retirement plans in the nation. Pers doesnt ask for more money, state law determines what the employers contribution rates to be. These rates have nothing to do with retiree benefits. The public has been misled into believing there is mismanagement and seemingly criminal activity. The fixes were put in place ten years ago. This means a least 1/3 of those in tier 1 have retired. Those retiring now continue to see substantially reduced retirements from what they were promised. The tier 1 pool will continue to get smaller and eventually be gone. While the statesman urinal loves to print these huge numbers in their articles and create what looks like an emergency, there really isnt an issue.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top