Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon State Parks Parking Pass

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by RVTECH, May 16, 2013.

1. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Does anyone know the correct story on these? A friend got what he thought was a citation for not having one last Sunday at the Twin Lakes parking lot. The amount was for $5.00. He called the Forest Service and was told "It's not really a citation and there are no repercussions for not paying it" Also a few years ago I was going to park in an area where the permit was needed and did not have one and was questioning a FS employee about it and I got a conflicting information. I did some checking into it and I found some information about it referencing it was referred to as a 'Discovery' plan in that they wanted to see how many people would actually purchase one but in fact was not LEGALLY required. Anybody know the the REAL story?

2. 1stIDFMP

1stIDFMP North of Salem, south of Portland Active Member

I don't believe Twin Lakes is a State Park, and a Forest Service Pass might be more applicable.

3. RVTECH

Your right, it's not and I was referring to the Northwest Forest Pass. The correct name came to me later in the day.

4. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

This site is worth a gander. Passes Oregon/Washington BLM

GF and I were planning a hike 2 weeks ago, and I started moaning about all the Oregon, Washington, interstate, Federal, Discovery passes required at various places. She pointed out that a certain degree of reciprocity exists depending on where you go and what you already have.

By the way, we both realize that boat ramps, trailheads and parks all need upkeep, which costs money. But it can get a bit ridiculous trying to sort out where you'll get a ticket without a pass, and where you won't, especially if you're up and rolling before Big-5 opens to sell you one. Some websites warn about "substantial penalties," and I'd probably obsess about that while I hiked.

5. PiratePast40

PiratePast40 Willamette Valley Well-Known Member

My experience at State and National parks in Oregon, at least for boat ramp fees, has been that there is either a drop box or a booth where a parking fee is required. You're absolutely correct about the different types of agencies running different facilities.

6. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

Once you figure out is it was state or federal, check these folks out for more info. Western Slope No Fee Coalition The Federal Program has had judicial review all but close it down, last I heard the forest service was illegally trying to get pass money at places they should not be demanding it. There are places where they can collect it, so research carefully first. In either case, Kitty at West Slope is doing a great job making that overreaching big government crap go away, and can use all the help she can get.

The best solution is to defund the ba**ards as much as we can. Good luck.

drew and (deleted member) like this.
  7. sheepdip

sheepdip Redland Well-Known Member

its all:bsflag: they are going to "FEE" us to death. cant even go out in the flipping woods without one permit or another anymore:bsflag:

PBinWA and (deleted member) like this.
  8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

That's a cool site.

9. RVTECH

My point was specifically directed to the NW Forest Pass which has been around for several years but only seems to be required in areas where the need for it is posted. One area is at the new boat ramp at Wickiup adjacent to the Twin Lakes area as I outlined. The only reason I brought this up was because of the 'ticket' my friend got which turned out to not be a ticket at all. A quick Yahoo of 'Northwest Forest Pass' led me to a site Annual Northwest Forest Pass (National Forests in Washington and Oregon ONLY) in the Discover Your Northwest Online Store
    which told me all I need to know, especially this part:

We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit social enterprise based in Seattle, and are licensed to operate in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, and Montana. We passionately believe in the people-value of Northwest public lands and are dedicated to ensuring that our public lands are places of education, recreation, and inspiration for everyone. We are proud to be partners with the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Army Corps of Engineers, City of Seattle Parks and Recreation, and Washington State Parks.

It appears 'Discover your Northwest' is special interest group with no specific legal ability to enforce the purchase of the NW Forest Pass.

10. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

So, plan ahead and buy one a day or so before you leave.