JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Does anyone know the correct story on these? A friend got what he thought was a citation for not having one last Sunday at the Twin Lakes parking lot. The amount was for $5.00. He called the Forest Service and was told "It's not really a citation and there are no repercussions for not paying it" Also a few years ago I was going to park in an area where the permit was needed and did not have one and was questioning a FS employee about it and I got a conflicting information. I did some checking into it and I found some information about it referencing it was referred to as a 'Discovery' plan in that they wanted to see how many people would actually purchase one but in fact was not LEGALLY required. Anybody know the the REAL story?

This site is worth a gander. Passes Oregon/Washington BLM

GF and I were planning a hike 2 weeks ago, and I started moaning about all the Oregon, Washington, interstate, Federal, Discovery passes required at various places. She pointed out that a certain degree of reciprocity exists depending on where you go and what you already have.

By the way, we both realize that boat ramps, trailheads and parks all need upkeep, which costs money. But it can get a bit ridiculous trying to sort out where you'll get a ticket without a pass, and where you won't, especially if you're up and rolling before Big-5 opens to sell you one. Some websites warn about "substantial penalties," and I'd probably obsess about that while I hiked.

My experience at State and National parks in Oregon, at least for boat ramp fees, has been that there is either a drop box or a booth where a parking fee is required. You're absolutely correct about the different types of agencies running different facilities.

Does anyone know the correct story on these? A friend got what he thought was a citation for not having one last Sunday at the Twin Lakes parking lot. The amount was for $5.00. He called the Forest Service and was told "It's not really a citation and there are no repercussions for not paying it" Also a few years ago I was going to park in an area where the permit was needed and did not have one and was questioning a FS employee about it and I got a conflicting information. I did some checking into it and I found some information about it referencing it was referred to as a 'Discovery' plan in that they wanted to see how many people would actually purchase one but in fact was not LEGALLY required. Anybody know the the REAL story?

Once you figure out is it was state or federal, check these folks out for more info. Western Slope No Fee Coalition The Federal Program has had judicial review all but close it down, last I heard the forest service was illegally trying to get pass money at places they should not be demanding it. There are places where they can collect it, so research carefully first. In either case, Kitty at West Slope is doing a great job making that overreaching big government crap go away, and can use all the help she can get.

The best solution is to defund the ba**ards as much as we can. Good luck.

Once you figure out is it was state or federal, check these folks out for more info. Western Slope No Fee Coalition The Federal Program has had judicial review all but close it down, last I heard the forest service was illegally trying to get pass money at places they should not be demanding it. There are places where they can collect it, so research carefully first. In either case, Kitty at West Slope is doing a great job making that overreaching big government crap go away, and can use all the help she can get.

The best solution is to defund the ba**ards as much as we can. Good luck.
That's a cool site.

My point was specifically directed to the NW Forest Pass which has been around for several years but only seems to be required in areas where the need for it is posted. One area is at the new boat ramp at Wickiup adjacent to the Twin Lakes area as I outlined. The only reason I brought this up was because of the 'ticket' my friend got which turned out to not be a ticket at all. A quick Yahoo of 'Northwest Forest Pass' led me to a site Annual Northwest Forest Pass (National Forests in Washington and Oregon ONLY) in the Discover Your Northwest Online Store
which told me all I need to know, especially this part:

We are a 501(c)(3) nonprofit social enterprise based in Seattle, and are licensed to operate in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, California, and Montana. We passionately believe in the people-value of Northwest public lands and are dedicated to ensuring that our public lands are places of education, recreation, and inspiration for everyone. We are proud to be partners with the National Park Service, U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Bureau of Reclamation, Army Corps of Engineers, City of Seattle Parks and Recreation, and Washington State Parks.

It appears 'Discover your Northwest' is special interest group with no specific legal ability to enforce the purchase of the NW Forest Pass.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top