JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Basically I'm looking to do some backpacking this summer and I want to know what all is needed to hunt squirrel way up in the boonies. I don't have a hunting license, I'm assuming I will need to get one. Do squirrel have a specific season? Do they have some kind of tag that i need to purchase?

Just a hunting licence, no tag!:s0155:

OPEN SEASON: Aug. 25 - Nov. 7
BAG LIMIT: 5 squirrels daily.
POSSESSION LIMIT: 15 in possession.
OPEN AREA: All units west of the eastern boundary of the Santiam, McKenzie, Indigo, Sprague and
Interstate units. Exception: No bag limit or closed season in that part of the Rogue Unit south of Rogue Rvr
and S Fork Rogue Rvr and north of Hwy 140.
OPEN SEASON: Sept. 8 - Oct. 14
BAG LIMIT: 3 squirrels daily.
POSSESSION LIMIT: 6 in possession.
OPEN AREA: White Rvr and Hood units.
<broken link removed>

WESTERN GRAY SQUIRREL Any rifle; handgun; shotgun; muzzleloading firearm; or long, recurve or compound bow.
ODFW Weapons Restrictions
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/OARs/72.pdf

The season is open on my deck in Hillsboro where the little buggers have been chewing on it! You may not want to discharge a firearm in my neighborhood, but I would entertain other options. :s0114:

Everyone shoots them Year round in the woods despite a "season". Most of the "Hunters" around White River during the regular season are shooting the limit plus some and every other form of squirrel around.

squirrel-hunting.jpg

LOL...sorry, random pic that had me laughing when I seen it pop up on google.

Everyone shoots them Year round in the woods despite a "season". Most of the "Hunters" around White River during the regular season are shooting the limit plus some and every other form of squirrel around.

And they are risking having their guns vehicle and hunting rights taken by the state for how ever long the court determins. If you break the law expect to pay.

Just because they don't get caught doesn't mean they won't or can't.

And when you shoot any game animal out of season you are a POACHER

And they are risking having their guns vehicle and hunting rights taken by the state for how ever long the court determins. If you break the law expect to pay.

Just because they don't get caught doesn't mean they won't or can't.

And when you shoot any game animal out of season you are a POACHER

Life doesn't happen without risks. Unless you think you're one of those special kids that don't end up dying because you followed someone else's rules in life. Got some news for you, you'll pass just the same as the guy that lived life his way. That's my Burger King commercial, have it your way or don't. I really don't care what you do.

The only squirrel (tree-type squirrel) that is legal to shoot in Oregon is the Silver Gray Squirrel (which is what the above-mentioned regs address). "Pine Squirrels" (actually Douglas Squirrel) is the most common tree squirrel in Oregon (the little red/gray ones with yellow bellies) and are protected under Oregon's "Watchable Wildlife" law, along with Chipmunks and Golden Mantle Ground Squirrels (look like a bigger Chipmunk).

FYI: Douglas Squirrels don't taste very good anyway, and Silver Grays are excellent fare. Probably owing to each species' choice of food.

i agree with Spitpatch, the Silver Grays are delicious :)
but honestly when you're out in the Cascades on the 6th day of your hike, and have been eating MRE's & random dehydrated foods for those 6 days, anything fresh tastes like you're eating at a 5 star restaurant..

The very definition of "palate" is what tastes good to a certain individual. Pine squirrels don't taste good to me. Now: I will certainly agree that one's "palate" can be influenced by external factors. My agreement here may have been influenced by being at an 8-day drop camp for Dall Sheep 100 miles above the arctic circle, and with the menu planned precisely, having the bush plane delayed by 4 days. Uder those conditions, one's "palate" expands quite noticeably.

Also keep in mind, that season is just for Western Grays.
Eastern Fox squirrels are an invasive species, and have no season, or limit(OAR 635-056). Also more prevelant than Western Grays. They are more aggresive and push out the Western grays.
Shoot them all you want!
Taste just like western grays too.
Easy to identify: If it's a larger bushy tail squirrel, and has a red/tan belly, its an Eastern Fox.

Also keep in mind, that season is just for Western Grays.
Eastern Fox squirrels are an invasive species, and have no season, or limit(OAR 635-056). Also more prevelant than Western Grays. They are more aggresive and push out the Western grays.
Shoot them all you want!
Taste just like western grays too.
Easy to identify: If it's a larger bushy tail squirrel, and has a red/tan belly, its an Eastern Fox.

Yep typically you only see Eastern Fox in suburbs and cities though, so brush up on those archery and slingshot skills.

Here's the odfw guide. Note the protected flying squirrel is nocturnal and looks more like a mouse. The protected American Red is cousin to the Douglas but still fairly distinctive also. Douglas really does taste awful IMO.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/wildlife/living_with/docs/TreeSquirrels.pdf

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top