JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't have an answer or the solution, but I don't see one coming anytime soon. I am truly disappointed in the leadership in Oregon, my home state, a state I've spent my entire life in, a state I thought actually cared about my rights. It is clear, they do not. This is another sad day in Oregon.

I actually do have a solution:

1. Stop trying to be the Lobbyist buddy, I read so many post where people have a man crush on these organizations.
We need to wake up and tell these lobbyist we want money spent and used a certain way, not on their friends and family elections.

2. Lobbyists should be told not asked , told we want air time and billboards up north spelling out the truth of bills.
One such lobbyist spent 10K on a family members election imagine how much air time and billboards that would pay for ?

3. STOP by all mighty God calling then rallys, they should be protests . Using words like rally is passive, enough already have protest on the state capital after you see these laws pass. Protest also tend to get air time good or bad they help.

4. Tell the lobbyist to get on the ball and start drafting laws with law makers every year and then advertise them big time. Democrats fill up sessions with their laws why in the hell are we not holding them up? Even these Senators ignore it. Pro-Gun Senators like Kim Thatcher promised to push pro-gun laws in her election, she worked on one since elected.

5. Write pro-gun senators and tell them you want them fighting for our rights win or lose we must be pushing. Listening the
Thatcher and Kruse this year was like watching two kids get beat up after school. They are too passive on fighting.

Now before anyone rushes to judgment these ideas are not new, and other states where Democrats have majority have had success by educating the public. I read today a letter from Thatcher about how unfair Democrats are, where is she when they we need fighting? Where are any of these Senators on TV or Radio ? Lars does get some air time sometime with our Senators and OFF but you are preaching to the choir on his show we need out of the box thinkers. Trump won because he fought period, win or lose he fought and said never surrender and got out and made a big noise . I could have heard crickets chirp with these new bills.
Start holding lobbyist accountable on how they spend their money. Every lobbyist has public records showing how they spend some of the money from what I have seen its unacceptable when we are losing rights like we are.
Tell pro-gun law makers to get off their arse and work all year to educate.
I know everyone says everyone complains and no ideas. I have many ideas even unity and at times people strike the ideas down and go back and watch the same ole same ole take rights away year after year.:(
As was said perhaps some day we will wake up and see whats going on and how we fail.
To some the 2nd Amendment means nothing, in fact all laws circle this right. Without it we end to have any serious voice.
Get up and tell people in power you want your voice back NOW!!

Collectively; I think we are gonna sit back and let it all happen to us...

There may be fire in our individual hearts for our God-given rights, the Bill of Rights, and for 2a, but I just don't see where our collective strength is; we are evidently unwilling to accept the unholy alliances; unwilling to effect change.

Support my premise; where in the heck was the NRA when Senator Boquist put forward his gun grabbing bill? Where we're all the high dollar TV ads huh? The big orgs are well-trained to take our money..

One by one, our Individual Rights are going to fall.

So, now we have to speak less of our minds because who know what word will trigger the "protective" measures.

So, now we have to speak less of our minds because who know what word will trigger the "protective" measures.
Although I took just your final thought, the entire post rings true... But this, this is where we are now, being further controlled by the state...

And when we resist, we will be subjected to the new controls that violate the Second and Fourth Amendments of the US Constitution...

It feels more like 1938 Germany than 2017 United States of America...

Eventually, we will become an enemy of the State...

How can this be Constitutional?

I don't know how it is even remotely Constitutional. I imagine it will, eventually, get overturned in court. But God help the people caught in the gears of that monstrosity until it is.

What makes you think they CARE if it's Constitutional?

Sad, but true.

I read on SIG forum where Oregon was called the northernmost county of CA.

With regard to shooters' rights, I can see why.

The Sig forum fellow isn't exactly right concerning the laws.

California has, arguably, the most draconian weapons laws on the books. A few states, like New Jersey and New York, come pretty closed. But in terms of the scope, the sheer number of statutes, and the degree of the insanity of their gun laws, Cali "wins," imho.

Oregon, up until very recently, had some of the most free laws in the country concerning firearms.

Examples:
  • Pretty much anything Title I and Title II is legal, provided the latter items are registered with the Feds. In Cali a lot of Title I guns are banned and all Title II guns (except AOWs) are verboten for the average person.
  • There is no magazine magazine capacity limit in Oregon. In California it is 10-rounds.
  • Oregon is a "shall issue" CHL state and has been since 1989. Californication is a "may issue" state and the answer in most jurisdictions is an instant "no".
  • There is no handgun registration in Oregon. California has had one in place since 1991.
  • Oregon has no long gun registration. California has had one in place since 2014.
  • Oregon has no "assault weapon" laws, but California has had one for a long time.
  • Open carry is legal in most of Oregon. In the Eureka state, it is heavily restricted.
  • Oregon has no waiting period. California has a waiting period of 10 days for all firearms.
  • In Oregon, there is no laws against .50 BMG rifles. In the Golden state they are outright banned.
  • And there are a dozens other more minor, obscure laws in California covering trigger devices, ammunition, carry, storage, transfer, safety test, etc., that has no counterpart in the Beaver state.
Alas, with the turn towards more BS gun laws here, that may change. :(

Last Edited:
So today was interesting, after getting riled up at morning news I packed some ammo and headed to the range to blow off some steam before work. When I got to work my mission was to spread the word about this bs, but to my utter surprise I didn't have to inform many as quite a few people are already talking about this bill. Some co workers who are NOT gun owners knew about this and they were not pleased I'm not sure if social media is spreading the truth about this or what but if the snowball continues Brownstain and the OR reps may have finally crossed the line... Please everyone get your neighbors, co-workers, friends, and anyone who will hear you out informed this offensive to our natural born rights cannot continue. :s0160:

I don't know how it is even remotely Constitutional. I imagine it will, eventually, get overturned in court. But God help the people caught in the gears of that monstrosity until it is.

Sad, but true.

The Sig forum fellow isn't exactly right concerning the laws.

California has, arguably, the most draconian weapons laws on the books. A few states, like New Jersey and New York, come pretty closed. But in terms of the scope, the sheer number of statutes, and the degree of the insanity of their gun laws, Cali "wins," imho.

Oregon, up until very recently, had some of the most free laws in the country concerning firearms.

Examples:
  • Pretty much anything Title I and Title II is legal, provided the latter items are registered with the Feds. In Cali a lot of Title I guns are banned and all Title II guns (except AOWs) are verboten for the average person.
  • There is no magazine magazine capacity limit in Oregon. In California it is 10-rounds.
  • Oregon is a "shall issue" CHL state and has been since 1989. Californication is a "may issue" state and the answer in most jurisdictions is an instant "no".
  • There is no handgun registration in Oregon. California has had one in place since 1991.
  • Oregon has no long gun registration. California has had one in place since 2014.
  • Oregon has no "assault weapon" laws, but California has had one for a long time.
  • Open carry is legal in most of Oregon. In the Eureka state, it is heavily restricted.
  • Oregon has no waiting period. California has a waiting period of 10 days for all firearms.
  • In Oregon, there is no laws against .50 BMG rifles. In the Golden state they are outright banned.
  • And there are a dozens other more minor, obscure laws in California covering trigger devices, ammunition, carry, storage, transfer, safety test, etc., that has no counterpart in the Beaver state.
Alas, with the turn towards more BS gun laws here, that may change. :(

Do not take this the wrong way, but, are we are headed into the same situation as california and as some other states are. To me, one more step against gun owner ship, and any kind of gun confiscation is just that, one more step toward total gun confiscation. All it takes for a dam to fail is one small crack, starting to leak, over time, unless stopped and repaired could cause a total failure. This is where we in oregon are headed, outside anti gun money backing anti gun politicians ends up equaling more and more gun control. Lets face it, ''they'', the anti 2nd amendment groups want all they can take from us. And now, oregon is starting to tally up more losses, than ''wins''.

We will see how the NRA responds to this. I

Not at all I do not approve of this in any way. They are slowly making law abiding citizens into criminals. Lets see what the NRA does if anything like they did on SB941.
Wow. For a second there I read your response to mean that you don't like what your comrades did but it's the NRA's fault for letting it happen.

Inquiring minds want to know:
All you people who have been complaining about the NRA not helping, did you take time off to be at the hearing??
"Golly gee, I didn't know about it . . . whine, whine . . . I was awfully busy . . . I had to mow the lawn . . . someone else should be watching out for my interests etc. etc."

Sheldon
I retired yesterday (from a 40-hour gig in downtown Portland). Now, I'll be far busier than ever with a self-imposed honeydew list of home improvements. But with a flexible schedule that I control.

One big benefit will be the opportunity to drop into Salem whenever I can and voice my opposition to the career political hacks actively pushing their anti-gun Senate Bills through without due process or any opposition. All under the thinly veiled agenda of destroying the Second Amendment, incrementally, piece by piece, until law abiding gun owners become de facto criminals. Even if I don't have any profound statements to add to those hearings as they take place, I believe a show of numbers is important, too. So I'll attend whenever I can. Hell, I might even learn something about the process.

While I've hated for years seeing these sneaky political things taking place when I'm stuck at work (and without my vote), I've tried to do my part by mailing and emailing the various State officials to add numbers to those who oppose progressive gun-control measures.

Guys and gals, PLEASE, let's pay attention to what's happening in Salem while we're stuck doing other things. Speak up! Send those emails! Show up when you can! Learn what's happening, and, specifically, who is taking actions bent upon Oregon following California (or worse yet, taking the lead) in making gun ownership complicated, overly regulated, limited, and eventually illegal. Make no mistake, that is their goal!

A few months ago, OR SB 797 & SB 868 were due to be rushed through in Salem while we were all at work. There was much ruffling of feathers and clucking here on NWFA in the days leading up to that. Alas, the proponent of that bill made some procedural mis-step and it was put aside, that day. Here online, I saw some crowing about how clumsy Floyd Prozanski was for allowing his measure to fall through the cracks, as if our side had finally won. "He's so inept, he beat himself at his own game," a bumbling, harmless buffoon. Then half a day later - cue the crickets chirping. Not another word!

Sadly, that was just a temporary delay to Floyd and his buddies. Their reminder to be more careful next time. They will NEVER give up. They will prepare with added diligence and make damn sure that whatever they're shoveling will actually pass next time. That was a mere hiccup, and Floyd's mission continues with renewed vigor. There's a saying that "rust never sleeps." It's certainly true when it comes to those dedicated to destroying the Second Amendment. Corrosive damage is always at work - slow, steady, incremental and inevitable.

If you can't be in Salem, please find ways to weigh in with phone calls, mail, emails, etc. OFF provides some pretty good info on what is happening, who's pushing the agenda, and who's on our side to fight it. I'm not shilling for another website. I'm just trying to remind everyone that there are clever politicians spending every moment of every day working on the ultimate agenda of making our guns, ammo and accessories illegal - and turning those who own them into criminals. We need to hold a harsh light to these hacks and make it clear that we oppose them - in any way we can.

Last Edited:
Wow. For a second there I read your response to mean that you don't like what your comrades did but it's the NRA's fault for letting it happen.
The NRA collects dues maybe it's about time they did something for that money besides giving free guns away and having banquets. By the way several democrats voted against this as well. I will refrain from the name calling.

Excellent let's see what they do. Lets see if they pick up the legal challenge.

Blanket statements and stereotypes are not supporting the cause. Grouping everyone into one bucket is not going to work. Use the help where you find it.
It is part of the official party line I do believe. If you look it up, gun control is part of the party platform, which kind of means the bucket is the one the democrats labeled as democrat.

It is part of the official party line I do believe. If you look it up, gun control is part of the party platform, which kind of means the bucket is the one the democrats labeled as democrat.
It may be a plank of the Democratic party but I would bet that there are some democrats like myself that believe in the 2A. I would also state that because I am a Democrat doesn't mean I vote party line. I am no fan of many democrats, Kathleen Brown is just one of them. I voted primarily republican. I am not a one issue voter and never will be. I will say this however if Trump and his secretaries.are examples of the Republicans I think I will be voting along the lines of a third party for sometime. I vote for who supports my ideas best and frankly feel like I don't have a party I belong to.

Idaho is sounding better and better. Screw Oregon Politicians. The I5 corridor makes laws for the entire state and people are just exected to roll over. Tyranny. What part of " shall not be infringed" does that "law" fall under? And how does that protect people?!

Just remember the latest infringement of our Civil and Constitutional Rights here in Oregon was brought to us by a Republician, just another RINO in Salem...

Unfortunately there are RINO's that want to take our rights... But there are also DINO's that are trying to protect them...

Voters need to do their own due diligence to vote for those that stand in the gap and protect our rights and our constitution... Period... Forget about party lines, neither party is worthy of blind party line votes...

If we don't do our due diligence and protect our rights and constitution with the tanasity the opposition displays, there won't be anything left to hand down to our children and grandchildren....

What a sad situation that's shaping up to be....

I have always tried to be a law abiding citizen and do the right thing. I am beginning to think at times that breaking the law is actually the right thing. If we keep getting our rights stepped on maybe I will at sometime become a criminal which means that everything I have worked for may be forfeited. I have not decided to go there yet.

It may be a plank of the Democratic party but I would bet that there are some democrats like myself that believe in the 2A. I would also state that because I am a Democrat doesn't mean I vote party line. I am no fan of many democrats, Kathleen Brown is just one of them. I voted primarily republican. I am not a one issue voter and never will be. I will say this however if Trump and his secretaries.are examples of the Republicans I think I will be voting along the lines of a third party for sometime. I vote for who supports my ideas best and frankly feel like I don't have a party I belong to.
You can't really be a 2A supporter when you support a party that seeks the destruction of the 2A as part of its official policy. That might be a matter of personal cognitive dissonance, but support for a party that supports gun control is support of gun control.

You can't really be a 2A supporter when you support a party that seeks the destruction of the 2A as part of its official policy. That might be a matter of personal cognitive dissonance, but support for a party that supports gun control is support of gun control.
True dat. I've been moaning for over half a century about having to choose between two horrible parties that both espouse hard-line agendas, neither of which I can fully endorse. Hot-button items like foreign policy, trade, immigration, taxes, abortion, guns, religion, etc., etc., etc., force most voters to compromise in at least one area, perhaps several. Casting any vote in a two-party system infested across the board with corrupt, greedy, paid-for, egocentric idealogues and puppets is the very definition of picking the lesser of two evils.

Inquiring minds want to know:
All you people who have been complaining about the NRA not helping, did you take time off to be at the hearing??
"Golly gee, I didn't know about it . . . whine, whine . . . I was awfully busy . . . I had to mow the lawn . . . someone else should be watching out for my interests etc. etc."

Sheldon

What bothers me a LOT more is people who vote for the people who do this to them. Yes it would be nice if everyone would take a membership in one of the places fighting. Great if more would show up and or work to fight. What would do FAR more is to stop voting for these idiots. EVERY gun owner who stays home or throws their vote away, voted for the same people they are now screaming about. They vote them in then complain about what they do to them.

You know the great thing about America is that opinions are free thank you for your insight and opinion but in my opinion your wrong. There are enough hosed up items on each party to write volumes. Because I am member of a party does not mean I agree with everything that party stands for. To say different is ignorant.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top