JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
All,

If this information has already been posted elsewhere, feel free to delete this post. I didn't see an easy form to contact the Oregon House rules committee, so here is a list of email addresses. The bill will be considered tomorrow, so if you haven't written already, please do so! Here is the list of addresses:

[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]

Here is the text of the email I wrote (feel free to correct me if there are any mistakes)

Members of the Oregon House Rules Committee:

My name is (YOUR NAME HERE) and I strongly oppose any expansion of Oregon's failed background check system.

Forcing law abiding citizens to undergo a background check for every transfer does nothing to prevent criminals from buying guns illegally. Even when felons are denied firearms they are NOT held accountable, so nothing in this legislation has any impact on them at all. In addition, this system creates a de-facto registry of gun owners because the 4473 background check forms are kept by dealers for 20 years. These sort of registries have already led to state sponsored confiscation in New York and California. I do not want to see this happening in Oregon.

This law also creates many new ways that law abiding gun owners can be punished for actions that harm no one. It creates complex rules that can be easily misunderstood, and it will turn many law abiding gun owners into criminals. Why can I give a gun to my nephew, but my adult son cannot give a gun to his cousin? Why should I have to run a background check on a friend I have known for 25 years? Why can't I lock up my friend's guns for him if he goes on vacation?

Finally, it is important to note that this law would not have stopped any of the major tragedies that inspired it. The Sandy Hook shooter killed a law abiding gun owner (his mother no less) and stole her guns. Jared Loughner passed a background check before shooting Gabrielle Giffords. The shooter at the Aurora, CO movie theater passed a background check.

I cannot support this kind of "feel good" legislation, particularly when it has been shown to be ineffective time and time again. This legislation is flawed at it's core, and will do nothing to prevent crime. It will only harm the law abiding and greatly overburden the heavily taxed background check system we have in place.

One measure that I would support would be a bill that placed a marking on the back of the Oregon drivers license that shows if a person is a felon. This would create an easy way that private sellers can determine if a person can legally possess firearms. It would help gun owners follow existing laws rather than imposing harsh new penalties attached to a confusing set of bureaucratic rules.

Vote no on any expansion of background checks.

My last E-mails to anyone but my own Rep on SB-941. A lot softer tone than what I really think. They are going to Ram this through no matter what so I'm hoping they relent a bit and make it less cumbersome.

SB-941 in it's present form is an overreach from what was being claimed that the majority of people of Oregon want, a Background check for all Sales!

Throwing in a requirement for Friends/ Girlfriends to go through a Background Check/ transfer procedure is not what gun owners who were for Background Checks wanted or expected and I think you know that.

Lending or safekeeping a Firearm between friends should be allowed. How about fixing this Bill if not getting rid of it all together.

All you are doing by passing this Law will be to alienate legal gun owners and put everyday gun exchanges that used to have a "Bill of Sale" at least, in the Shadows with the criminals.

Something you are trying to avoid I thought.

My Name and address

I did my best to explain my concerns without resorting to vitriol. One of my personal concerns is that I don't think many of these politicians really understand why we are calling this a registration bill. I'm not sure the explanation will change any minds, but it's important that they understand the unintended consequences of this bill.

Sent emails to all of them. Let's hope they will listen.
It's encouraging to see all the New Members getting involved Politically! If this Bill passes I hope the New guys keep at it like the rest of us have been.
With increased involvement/numbers waking up Politically, maybe we have a chance to change things around in Oregon.

It's encouraging to see all the New Members getting involved Politically! If this Bill passes I hope the New guys keep at it like the rest of us have been.
With increased involvement/numbers waking up Politically, maybe we have a chance to change things around in Oregon.

Well, not exactly a new member, but I don't post often.

Done, Thanks.

To: Honorable Rep. XXXXXX

A substantial amount of inaccurate information has been provided in committee on this issue on the behalf of nationwide gun control organizations. Your staff has been informed of this but have chosen to ignore it. Many of the statistics were wrong and some are a complete non sequitur and they are not germane to the issue.

I call on you to reconsider, because the information will come to light in the future. While I do not support any version of SB941, you should at least consider the compromise legislation from the minority which focuses only on the topic of background checks without the other infringements. At least it is being sold as it is without hidden consequences. It is cleaner and everyone should be able to vote for against it knowing its contents.
Process matters in the making of laws, because confidence is needed in the long run in order to maintain trust in our government. I have lived in a lot of states and I have been in 20 countries. I smell lingering corruption on this issue with a variety of agendas, so do not just ride the band wagon.

Not everyone will be held accountable, but many will be.

Good luck in your deliberations because you will be asked in the future about the secondary items in this legislation.

Regards, ;)

I just hit these guys two times in the last 20 minutes. CeaseFire is calling out the troops tonight! Please everyone do what you can do to stop this legislations--emails, attendance and or phone calls. tkdguy

I'm assuming everyone who has the time to be on here has a few minutes to spare to at least send out a few Emails with at a minimum, a copy and paste No on SB941 response.
Plenty of examples here, nobody will gig you for plagiarism:cool:

Last Edited:
Dear Honorable Committee Members,
I respectfully urge your no vote on SB 941 and any "universal background check" bill. This bill in its current form has been subject to misinformation by its sponsors and does nothing to prevent criminals from obtaining guns.

The small chance that it would prevent a criminal from obtaining a gun through a private sale does not justify the harm and onerous conditions that the bill's provisions would subject otherwise law-abiding citizens to.

If it is about preventing criminals from obtaining firearms through a private sale, then why are current Concealed Handgun License holders not exempt? CHL holders already have been subjected to an extensive criminal background check.

I am a law enforcement officer, yet under the current bill I could not give my firearms to a trusted friend for safekeeping without a background check.

I am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor. I lend rifles to 4h clubs for use by youths who might not otherwise afford a rifle or ammunition. Under the current bill I would have to lend them the rifle before each range session and take possession of it after each range session. Why cannot trusted, vetted 4h leaders take possession of these rifles for the season without a background check? The same goes for youths who might not have a rifle for hunting season. It is impractical to give the rifle during each day's hunt, only to have to take it back at the end of the day. Why can I not lend a rifle to a trusted friend for the duration of a hunting season or longer (not for only the duration of a hunting activity) without a background check?

Has anyone considered the increase of traffic on Oregon's background check system? The chance of an error where either a law abiding citizen is denied or worse yet, the chance that an otherwise prohibited person is approved increases with the increased work load of the system.

There is already a voluntary background check system in place for those who wish to utilize it.

Why the emergency clause? If this bill is worthy of the light of day, shouldn't Oregon's citizens be allowed redress through ballot measure? Is this not the very definition of democracy?

Lastly, I am a Law Enforcement a Officer. My Sheriff, Glenn Palmer, has gone on record as opposing the bill and has further stated that, as it is unenforceable, by definition he has no intention of enforcing it. I share in that conviction. I will not abuse the powers afforded me as an Oregon Peace Officer in enforcing an unenforceable law.

Punish criminal actors, particularly if they use a firearm in the commission of an unlawful act. Invest in mental health treatment programs.

Do not make criminals of Oregon's citizens. Defeat this ill conceived, poorly written bill.

Respectfully,
Xxxxxxxx
Firearm Safety Instructor
Range Safety Officer
Law Enforcement Officer

Canyon City, Oregon

Sent from my iPad

Dear Honorable Committee Members,
I respectfully urge your no vote on SB 941 and any "universal background check" bill. This bill in its current form has been subject to misinformation by its sponsors and does nothing to prevent criminals from obtaining guns.

The small chance that it would prevent a criminal from obtaining a gun through a private sale does not justify the harm and onerous conditions that the bill's provisions would subject otherwise law-abiding citizens to.

If it is about preventing criminals from obtaining firearms through a private sale, then why are current Concealed Handgun License holders not exempt? CHL holders already have been subjected to an extensive criminal background check.

I am a law enforcement officer, yet under the current bill I could not give my firearms to a trusted friend for safekeeping without a background check.

I am an NRA Certified Firearms Instructor. I lend rifles to 4h clubs for use by youths who might not otherwise afford a rifle or ammunition. Under the current bill I would have to lend them the rifle before each range session and take possession of it after each range session. Why cannot trusted, vetted 4h leaders take possession of these rifles for the season without a background check? The same goes for youths who might not have a rifle for hunting season. It is impractical to give the rifle during each day's hunt, only to have to take it back at the end of the day. Why can I not lend a rifle to a trusted friend for the duration of a hunting season or longer (not for only the duration of a hunting activity) without a background check?

Has anyone considered the increase of traffic on Oregon's background check system? The chance of an error where either a law abiding citizen is denied or worse yet, the chance that an otherwise prohibited person is approved increases with the increased work load of the system.

There is already a voluntary background check system in place for those who wish to utilize it.

Why the emergency clause? If this bill is worthy of the light of day, shouldn't Oregon's citizens be allowed redress through ballot measure? Is this not the very definition of democracy?

Lastly, I am a Law Enforcement a Officer. My Sheriff, Glenn Palmer, has gone on record as opposing the bill and has further stated that, as it is unenforceable, by definition he has no intention of enforcing it. I share in that conviction. I will not abuse the powers afforded me as an Oregon Peace Officer in enforcing an unenforceable law.

Punish criminal actors, particularly if they use a firearm in the commission of an unlawful act. Invest in mental health treatment programs.

Do not make criminals of Oregon's citizens. Defeat this ill conceived, poorly written bill.

Respectfully,
Xxxxxxxx
Firearm Safety Instructor
Range Safety Officer
Law Enforcement Officer

Canyon City, Oregon

Sent from my iPad
Very nicely crafted.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show