JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
unloaded in a locked box out of reach. And it better be on the approved list of handguns. So nothing with more then a 10rd mag etc. The California DOJ web site has a few dozen pages of silly laws you can read up on.

Checkout Handgunlaw.us section on California.

RV/Car Carry Without A Permit/License
You must have a Permit/License to carry a loaded handgun in any vehicle.
The transportation or carrying of any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person by any citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or is temporarily within this state, and is not within the excepted classes prescribed by Penal Code Sections 29800 or 29900 or Welfare and Institutions Code sections 8100 & 8103, provided that the following applies:
Handgunlaw.us
1. the firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment,
2. and when the firearm is carried by the person to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose, the firearm must be contained in a locked container while being physically carried. (Penal Code § 16850)
Traveling with Firearms in California (From the California Attorney General)

HANDGUNS
California Penal Code section 25400 does not prevent a citizen of the United States over 18 years of age who is not lawfully prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, from transporting by motor vehicle any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person provided the firearm is unloaded and stored in a locked container.
The term "locked container" means a secure container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment. For more information, refer to California Penal Code Section 25610.

I just moved from CA last year. You might as well not take any guns with you. They'll be useless unloaded and locked out of reach. Take a bat and a knife.

P.S. You will hear arguments on wether or not you can have your magazines loaded. Technically that isn't loading the weapon, but better safe than sorry when it comes to firearm related incidents with CHP or other CA law enforcement. Check out the www.calguns.net forum for loads of other info on how to transport firearms in CA.

"You don't need a gun in California, just a bottle of Patcholi Oil, and a fake Deadlocks wig" everyone will stay twenty feet Away from you, Up Wind, and try to leave your presence, Unless you where a flower behind your Right Ear, then they will think you are a Guru, and they will PROTECT you, with their Own bodies, and the Bra-less women, will be wrapping said bod(ies) around yours very tightly....

philip,

DAMHIK :D

Sad but true. Love or hate California, I lived there for 25 years serving my country, grew some roots and felt a need to vacation back there this past summer. It's been over a decade.

Observing their silly*ss laws (most of which came into existence since I came home to Portland), I was prepared to keep a 1911 in a locked box in the back of my car, and Cali-compliant 8-round mags separately in the front. Hardly emergency equipment in that ridiculous configuration.

As the departure date for my 2-week multi-destination roadtrip drew closer, I agonized about what I'd do with a pistol in that damn box every time I took in ball games (bordering on cavity-search security), hikes, beaches, golf courses, monuments, caves, bases, or tourist attractions. Leave it in a car every time I did something? Guns get stolen from cars, and I know a few guys - in California - whose rather unremarkable stolen rides were stripped to the frames.

I took some serious knives, a bludgeon/flashlight, and some pepper sprays for everyone, and went without a firearm. Did I feel naked? Yup!

I hate seeing "those who despise personal freedoms" get their myopic way in such a big, beautiful state. (I rashly used the term "liberals" in another post and was promptly corrected. Which, actually, sort of made my point.)

Support, second-guess or criticize, that's what I did... and survived.

Anyhow, Grant, I hope you're able to enjoy your journey, whatever you decide regarding your sorely limited self-defence options.

I'd like to take my loaded, IWB carried Kimbers to CA if we ever go back to visit friends as well as an AR or KT SU-16C. Guess I'll leave the AR and SU-16C at home and take my Win 1300 12 GA. After all, a shotgun is what Biden says we need. (Yes, I know he says a double barrel one, but mine has 12 rds of Aguila ½ size ammo).

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

I'd like to take my loaded, IWB carried Kimbers to CA if we ever go back to visit friends as well as an AR or KT SU-16C. Guess I'll leave the AR and SU-16C at home and take my Win 1300 12 GA. After all, a shotgun is what Biden says we need. (Yes, I know he says a double barrel one, but mine has 12 rds of Aguila ½ size ammo).

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"
Biden wouldn't admit to what he said about shotguns.

you can have a non-roster firearm in CA if driving through or visiting, you just can't buy it there or sell it while there...

the magazine ban is the big clincher though.. technically if you disassemble the magazine in pieces (and preferrably separate them into different bins) they are no longer a magazine with capacity as they are just rebuild kits...

but as mentioned, this is good only if you're driving through, if you're driving to CA, there's no point...

I took my xd40sc with me on a road trip once... it was at my bedside at the motel overnight stops but it went into a locked container when I went back in the car...

"You don't need a gun in California, just a bottle of Patcholi Oil, and a fake Deadlocks wig" everyone will stay twenty feet Away from you, Up Wind, and try to leave your presence, Unless you where a flower behind your Right Ear, then they will think you are a Guru, and they will PROTECT you, with their Own bodies, and the Bra-less women, will be wrapping said bod(ies) around yours very tightly....

philip,

DAMHIK :D

You spent too long in the 60's, kalifornicatia never left it. :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads