JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"The owner of an outdoor gear retailer based in Columbia City is accused of selling counterfeit Leopold rifle scopes that he allegedly imported from China.

Mark Aaron Culp, founder and owner of CulMar Outdoors, made his first appearance in U.S. District Court in Portland Tuesday afternoon, accused of trafficking in counterfeit goods."

Rrrrright….because, everyone knows that Leopold rifle scopes are actually Made in China.

Aloha, Mark

"The owner of an outdoor gear retailer based in Columbia City is accused of selling counterfeit Leopold rifle scopes that he allegedly imported from China.

Mark Aaron Culp, founder and owner of CulMar Outdoors, made his first appearance in U.S. District Court in Portland Tuesday afternoon, accused of trafficking in counterfeit goods."

Rrrrright….because, everyone knows that Leopold rifle scopes are actually Made in China.

Aloha, Mark
Some are, some are made in Beaverton.

Aloha, Mark
...by a different factory. If that guy stays in the area, he'd better change his name. I'd recommend Mudd.

Well, the ones I have seen would be next to impossible to tell the difference. If Leopold didn't have the 800 number where you can call and check, I'd be out a few dollars. I think the seller was honestly mistaken. He just thought he'd gotten a good deal from his supplier. If I had not gotten an alert from my supplier I might have gotten burned too.

Interesting Big Brother went after this guy. Could there be any possibility of the fact that they alleged phony products were gun related? Therefore Second Amendment related? Any possibility at all?

My auto mechanic showed me some fake cheapo Chinese auto parts. They looks the same. They felt the same. The only difference is that they are slightly or greatly out of specification.

Material. Dimensions. Temper or heat treat. Hardness. He showed me how a tranny gear fit just a little bit too loose. Then HE DID a easy and quick Rockwell Hardness test. Very soft steel.

One of my Eoteck reflex rifle scopes proved to be a Chinese knock off. But ... Eoteck still accepted the product return to their factory during the recall by back. I also use and enjoy Leopold scopes.

Go figure.

The Chinesse have been counterfeiting lots of things for years. It's my understanding that they were American and other Countries money clear back during WW-2.:mad::mad::mad: So why stop now?

He made $3,728.50 in sales of the counterfeit rifle scopes to buyers in New York, Connecticut, California, Texas, Florida and Indiana, according to court records.

So he defrauded people and screwed up his life forever for a pittance. And the taxpayer gets to pickup the tab for his prosecution and incarceration. What a muppet.

I do not know much about scopes, just that supposedly a lot of good glass comes out of Asia. I wonder if American scope makers sell or have an agreement with a second line of products or blems that were never to be sold in the US.

There are lots of quality made Chinese products. The thing with making things in China is that they will make them to YOUR specifications and their price point. If you want something made cheap, they can do it. If you pay them to make something nice, they can do that too. Just like anywhere else. They make lots of low grade crap because that's what someone paid them to make.

I do not know much about scopes, just that supposedly a lot of good glass comes out of Asia. I wonder if American scope makers sell or have an agreement with a second line of products or blems that were never to be sold in the US.
Good glass comes from Japan. China can make good glass too if you pay for it, but cheap companies tend not to.
There are lots of quality made Chinese products. The thing with making things in China is that they will make them to YOUR specifications and their price point. If you want something made cheap, they can do it. If you pay them to make something nice, they can do that too. Just like anywhere else. They make lots of low grade crap because that's what someone paid them to make.
Pretty much. Barska and the like just want to get you a cheap scope. PA doesn't have the best glass, for their price its good, but they take quite a beating to break.

Good glass comes from Japan. China can make good glass too if you pay for it, but cheap companies tend not to.

Pretty much. Barska and the like just want to get you a cheap scope. PA doesn't have the best glass, for their price its good, but they take quite a beating to break.
'Years ago ive had some nice scopes that were made in Japan . Leopold always was spendy. They should never have a cheap line made in China .it confuses the quality of the brand name.

Aloha, Mark

Isn't everything??

Interesting Big Brother went after this guy. Could there be any possibility of the fact that they alleged phony products were gun related? Therefore Second Amendment related? Any possibility at all?

Most of these types of cases result from the REAL vendors complaining. Note that the case is from actions taken by the seller in 2015. Big Brother moves slowly.

I think I got screwed. My Vortex scope is Made in China and nothing good could possibly come out of China, right?

Not much made in the good ol USA any more. Take golf clubs for instance... no matter what is says on the brand, it is actually manufactured to the brand's specifications in China. Just the way things are today.

I actually would not be surprised to see any Made in China sticker on a name brand item... even a scope. I don't keep up with where Leupold has it's stuff made. Now if it was Nikon, that'd surprise me.

My auto mechanic showed me some fake cheapo Chinese auto parts. They looks the same. They felt the same. The only difference is that they are slightly or greatly out of specification.

Material. Dimensions. Temper or heat treat. Hardness. He showed me how a tranny gear fit just a little bit too loose. Then HE DID a easy and quick Rockwell Hardness test. Very soft steel.

One of my Eoteck reflex rifle scopes proved to be a Chinese knock off. But ... Eoteck still accepted the product return to their factory during the recall by back. I also use and enjoy Leopold scopes.

Go figure.

3700 bucks worth of scopes are not very many scopes .proacuting him is going to cost much more.

3700 bucks worth of scopes are not very many scopes .proacuting him is going to cost much more.

Yes well, that's not how we decide what to prosecute. What do you suppose prosecuting OJ for Nicoles murder cost?

At any rate, this guy grossed $3800 on sales. Net was xxx. His lawyer retainer will be so much more than he grossed!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads