Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon resident possibly moving to WA?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by mallard8767, Jun 29, 2011.

1. mallard8767

mallard8767 Portland Member

Hey all,

So I'm considering a move to WA for a job I recently started there (not paying income tax would be nice).

I'm wondering, are there going to be any problems with me taking my firearms with me? I know you cant sell firearms over state lines but what if I'm just bringing them with me? Do I need to visit a local FFL? I don't have any class 3 weapons or anything like that... just the stuff you can normally buy in OR (trying to be somewhat vague sorry).

I know I'm going to have to transfer my CCL, re-register my vehicle (and pay a tax), and change all of the addresses listed at my bank, insurance, etc but I was hoping my firearms would be a bit easier : )

Thanks
    Jonathan

2. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

You can just take them with you. No problems or hoops to jump through.

3. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

I will be moving to Washington also. What about sbr's? How does it work beings that in Washington they are illegal?

4. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Can't take an sbr.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Firearms

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  5. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

Thanks drew.

6. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Like Drew said, just pack them and move them like anything else you plan on moving.

You will need a new CCL for WA (easy) and then do a change of address on your OR CCL ($15).

Then say goodbye to all of your OR friends because once you cross the river they are convinced you have moved to another country and it requires vacation days to make the trek to see you. ;)

We made the switch 5 years ago. Asside from the silly NFA rules and frustrating interstate firearms sales I would never go back.

7. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

I'd like to move to WA but can't because of their "silly NFA rules." :(

8. Kimber Custom

Kimber Custom Vancouver, WA Bronze Vendor Bronze Vendor

Just means you need to get your FFL and become a manufacturer like Coctailer ;) Sure it's expensive, but you're worth it :D

Abiqua and (deleted member) like this.
  9. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

Well, the NFA rules never really bothered me. I've had the chance to shoot full auto - but that was on the taxpayer's dime. I can't afford to feed one on my own, but it wasn't enough fun to make me want to move.

As for a SBR - eh....never needed one.

I know some guys like these toys, and that is fine, I'll support your right to have them and vote appropriately. This is just one of those areas guys need to think about when the look into jobs and all.

10. oldtomcat

oldtomcat woodinville WA New Member

Jonathan thanks for the Tip how ever I am very new to this place and am having an awful time with the lay out. as far as PM and some others It Could be a little more Old Fart Friendly!!I coud not even get back to what the Gun was that I was asking about But I must have been interested or I would not have suffered the Pain of trying to get your attention. Now that said if you would not mined I would realy like to see a picture of what you were selling also I have a very close friend and a son down there.
    Thank you
    Oldtomcat AKA Larry S
    PS once again I could not find the PM!! when I needed It

11. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

Hey oldtomcat, Washington State is good, after awhile you will be glad you made the move. I think right now you are from other side of the fence, but after not paying state income taxes and visiting your local sheriff and seeing how easy it is to get a carry permit,your mood will brigten. Welcome to Washington. Spad

12. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

wait tell you get the sticker shock when you register your car.Or the tax you pay when you bring a new gun in..

PS why do you think people from WA. come to Oregon to make large purchases.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  13. chariot13

chariot13 Near Eugene/Springfield Well-Known Member

I wonder would he be able to sale the lower & get a new lower designated as a pistol or one thats never been assembled & use that for the existing upper? Obviously never placing a stock on the new lower but instead a pistol buffer tube. Seems like you could since theres no numbers on the upper, its just the lower.

14. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Must be a typo as there isn't a CCL in WA, it's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). I'm not sure you can do an address change on your OR CCL either as it's a non-resident license and no longer "shall issue".
    As far as the "frustrating interstate firearms sales", that's Federal Laws, not WA's.