JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

So I'm considering a move to WA for a job I recently started there (not paying income tax would be nice).

I'm wondering, are there going to be any problems with me taking my firearms with me? I know you cant sell firearms over state lines but what if I'm just bringing them with me? Do I need to visit a local FFL? I don't have any class 3 weapons or anything like that... just the stuff you can normally buy in OR (trying to be somewhat vague sorry).

I know I'm going to have to transfer my CCL, re-register my vehicle (and pay a tax), and change all of the addresses listed at my bank, insurance, etc but I was hoping my firearms would be a bit easier : )

Thanks
Jonathan

I will be moving to Washington also. What about sbr's? How does it work beings that in Washington they are illegal?

Can't take an sbr.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Firearms
Q: Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to lawfully transport such items interstate?
Yes, unless the owner is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20 to the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a) (4), 27 CFR 478.28]

Q: If an individual is changing his or her State of residence and the individual's application to transport the NFA firearm cannot be approved because of a prohibition in the new State, what options does a lawful possessor have?
NFA firearms may be left in a safe deposit box in his or her former State of residence. Also, the firearm could be left or stored in the former State of residence at the house of a friend or relative in a locked room or container to which only the registered owner has a key. The friend or relative should be supplied with a copy of the registration forms and a letter from the owner authorizing storage of the firearm at that location.

The firearms may also be transferred under the procedures referred to in "What are the required transfer procedures for an individual who is not qualified as a manufacturer, importer, or dealer of NFA firearms?" or abandoned to ATF.

Like Drew said, just pack them and move them like anything else you plan on moving.

I know I'm going to have to transfer my CCL

You will need a new CCL for WA (easy) and then do a change of address on your OR CCL ($15).

Then say goodbye to all of your OR friends because once you cross the river they are convinced you have moved to another country and it requires vacation days to make the trek to see you. ;)

We made the switch 5 years ago. Asside from the silly NFA rules and frustrating interstate firearms sales I would never go back.

Well, the NFA rules never really bothered me. I've had the chance to shoot full auto - but that was on the taxpayer's dime. I can't afford to feed one on my own, but it wasn't enough fun to make me want to move.

As for a SBR - eh....never needed one.

I know some guys like these toys, and that is fine, I'll support your right to have them and vote appropriately. This is just one of those areas guys need to think about when the look into jobs and all.

Jonathan thanks for the Tip how ever I am very new to this place and am having an awful time with the lay out. as far as PM and some others It Could be a little more Old Fart Friendly!!I coud not even get back to what the Gun was that I was asking about But I must have been interested or I would not have suffered the Pain of trying to get your attention. Now that said if you would not mined I would realy like to see a picture of what you were selling also I have a very close friend and a son down there.
Thank you
Oldtomcat AKA Larry S
PS once again I could not find the PM!! when I needed It

Hey oldtomcat, Washington State is good, after awhile you will be glad you made the move. I think right now you are from other side of the fence, but after not paying state income taxes and visiting your local sheriff and seeing how easy it is to get a carry permit,your mood will brigten. Welcome to Washington. Spad

wait tell you get the sticker shock when you register your car.Or the tax you pay when you bring a new gun in..

PS why do you think people from WA. come to Oregon to make large purchases.

Last Edited:
I will be moving to Washington also. What about sbr's? How does it work beings that in Washington they are illegal?

I wonder would he be able to sale the lower & get a new lower designated as a pistol or one thats never been assembled & use that for the existing upper? Obviously never placing a stock on the new lower but instead a pistol buffer tube. Seems like you could since theres no numbers on the upper, its just the lower.

Like Drew said, just pack them and move them like anything else you plan on moving.

You will need a new CCL for WA (easy) and then do a change of address on your OR CCL ($15).

We made the switch 5 years ago. Asside from the silly NFA rules and frustrating interstate firearms sales I would never go back.
Must be a typo as there isn't a CCL in WA, it's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). I'm not sure you can do an address change on your OR CCL either as it's a non-resident license and no longer "shall issue".
As far as the "frustrating interstate firearms sales", that's Federal Laws, not WA's.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top