JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

I'm just wondering if Oregon has any laws requiring me to register a Mosin Nagant rifle. I bought one at Big 5 and they made me fill out a ton of paperwork, and I've heard that gun shows will sell you the rifles for the same price, with no registry or background check required.

Just a fyi, I'm not a felon, nor do I intend to be one. I like the Mosin and I want to keep collecting them. And more importantly, I want to keep them off the map. Just in case.

Cheers!
Drame22

You don't have to do anything else as OR has no registration requirement for firearms.

You purchased the rifle from a dealer which is why you had the background check and probably some other stuff specific to them outside of the federal form. You're also supposed to go through a background check to buy a firearm at a gun show in OR. FTF transactions outside a gun show require no paperwork.

So even gun shows have to have paperwork?

I don't really feel comfortable with any government agency having a record of what firearms I have and where I live. If it is at all possible, I want no record whatsoever. How would I go about that in Oregon?

OR has no registration requirement for firearms.

FTF transactions outside a gun show require no paperwork.

He already answered your question: So for there to be no paperwork at all, unless the FTF seller required a bill of sale. And after seeing this thread, I would require a bill of sale.

I got a whiff of bacon... That's why I answered like I did.... Smells like jimmy's buddy. I don't do paperwork on any private sale, but when someone joins up and uses his first 3 posts to make sure his guns are untraceable, well looks a bit fishy to me. Or should I say porky?

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if Oregon has any laws requiring me to register a Mosin Nagant rifle. I bought one at Big 5 and they made me fill out a ton of paperwork, and I've heard that gun shows will sell you the rifles for the same price, with no registry or background check required.

Just a fyi, I'm not a felon, nor do I intend to be one. I like the Mosin and I want to keep collecting them. And more importantly, I want to keep them off the map. Just in case.

Cheers!
Drame22
What do you mean by a ton of paperwork? When I bought my Mosin from Big 5 I filled out the same paperwork that I filled out at other gun shops for other gun purchases and it wasn't a ton. What exactly did you fill out?

What do you mean by a ton of paperwork? When I bought my Mosin from Big 5 I filled out the same paperwork that I filled out at other gun shops for other gun purchases and it wasn't a ton. What exactly did you fill out?

Not sure about Big 5 because I haven't purchased from them.

I've seen companies have separate paperwork for the buyer to acknowledge the firearm condition and if its used is sold as-is. They basically use it to make you say they're not liable for anything that happens to the firearm or you.

Well to be quite honest, I joined this forum to specifically ask that question. And I hardly think it's 'fishy'. I believe very firmly that a fully armed citizenry is a necessity. Call me paranoid if you like, but historically, whenever there was a tyrant up and coming, the very first agenda was to disarm the populace and re-arm the police. That's why I don't want these guns registered. They will be packed into cosmoline, crated and stored. Hopefully, I'll never have to use them for anything but target practice or teaching friends how to shoot. I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

But a growing police state tells me sooner or later, there's going to be a fight. At least, every historical precedent suggests that. The police have never given me a personal reason to distrust them, but between the beatings, killings, lies and incompetence, they have proven they are willing enough to break the law themselves. Which in and of itself should be enough for civilians to get worried. Especially since at the same time civilians are being restricted from owning weapons, the police are getting military-grade hardware. SWAT teams are being used for routine warrants more these days, and people have been killed without even being guilty of anything. I'm not even going to touch the "Patriot" Act.

I don't think anyone but me should be aware of how many guns I own, or indeed if I even own one. Simply put, it's none of the government's business what I spend my money on, and if I can hide it, I will.

All those reasons, I hope explains my position a bit better.

That, and the bulk ammo prices mean I can fire away all day without sweating over the cost. And isn't that the whole point of having a gun? To go shooting! Take that beer bottles.

I don't remember exactly what paperwork. There were 4 sheets of it though, and one of them was a background check. I had to fill out my name and address, etc. I'm pretty sure most of it was just Big 5 policy, but it still made me feel a bit uneasy.

Ha, I don't need a fully-automatic anything. I DO want to build one of those Mosin pistols though, they look awesome! Can't remember what they're called....

Drame. The bad news is that they are going to use your posts on this forum to trace you and find out where you are so that they can confiscate your guns. (Tinfoil hat removed)

Seriously though, it is okay to want to buy guns privately, but the reality is that without background checks on private sales, the government has no idea what you have and don't have as far as guns go, unless you have class 3 stuff. They could find out what you bought from a dealer, but they would have no proof that you have them as soon as you leave the dealers shop. That is the danger of universal background checks.

Drame,

There is a paper trail for every gun sold. It starts at the manufacturer and works it way down. The ATF is very good at following these paper trails, and contrary to what alot of folks think this is not a high tech operation. Think of it like a bread crumb trail. The ATF refers to this as a trace. There is no gun registration in this country, only certain states. ( California has a Assault Weapons Database for example )

If you buy a gun at a FFL and it is used in a crime law enforcement will ask the ATF to perform a trace. The ATF follow this " trail " from the manufacturer to distributors, to big 5, to you. Some of us have guns that have switched hands many times since the last known purchaser was in possession of the gun, sometimes decades since. Sometimes these people are no longer living, this makes the ATF's job hard.

Just because you buy a gun from a private party doesn't mean .GOV can't find it. I for example would require you to fill out a form , check your ID that it matches the form, and require you have a CPL ( CHL in Oregon ). If the ATF performs a trace to me because you killed someone during a robbery, you can guess what I'm going to do with the paper you signed.

Here is a good article ;

For the folks that don't want to read it :

"There is a perception -- even among law enforcement agencies -- that if you send a serial number from a gun up here, that we plug it into a computer and the name of a gun owner pops out, as if there's a national registration system," says Charles Houser, who has been chief of the center since 2005. "There's no such thing."

Tracing guns is low-tech operation for ATF - CBS News

Welcome to the forum BTW !

I have no problems buying guns from FFL's, you shouldn't either. If you believe buying guns private party is better for your lifestyle and it's legal where you are, have at it.

Coming on here and asking how to buy untraceable guns raised alot of flags for some of us, myself included. Your dealing with as a whole, a group of the most law abiding in our society, contrary to what bloomberg and his pals preach.

The last gun I sold I had transferred through a FFL for my own peace of mind. If it was used in a crime after the fact it won't point to me. If I knew the person (friend, co-worker, relative) I wouldn't require it. Having a CHL would go a long way to easing my mind if selling to a stranger. I would still ask for a bill of sale.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top