JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey everyone,

Sorry if these questions have been answered 1000x already. I'm not trying to be lazy; I'm not the best at digging up old information on forums.

1. What's the best way to satisfy the "proof of handgun training" portion for an Oregon CCW permit? I've seen physical classes, an online class from the sheriffs dept, etc.

2. Would a ccw permit from another state be accepted as "proof of handgun training" assuming that state required firearms training in order to issue a ccw?

3. If there is a class I'm required to take, any recommendations? I'm living here in Woodburn (Marion county, OR) so anything from Portland to Salem isn't an issue.

Thanks everyone!

If you were new to guns, I'd say definitely say take a class that offered practical shooting experience. But given that you worked and shot at Buds, (that's very cool) if I were in your shoes I'd just take an online course and read up on OR CC laws. You're lucky. There are mercifully few restrictions on where you can carry in OR. Read up on WA too if you stray north. It's more restrictive here. No "21 and over" areas and no schools are the two things you need to watch for in WA.

If you were new to guns, I'd say definitely say take a class that offered practical shooting experience. But given that you worked and shot at Buds, (that's very cool) if I were in your shoes I'd just take an online course and read up on OR CC laws. You're lucky. There are mercifully few restrictions on where you can carry in OR. Read up on WA too if you stray north. It's more restrictive here. No "21 and over" areas and no schools are the two things you need to watch for in WA.

Thanks for the feedback brother! Definitely not new to firearms. I'll have to look into one of those online courses. I'll read up on Oregon CC laws; I grew up here but moved away before I was old enough to have a CCW. Also, I had no idea about the WA regulations thanks for the heads up. That's great info to have; I head up to Vancouver/Amboy pretty often to see friends and go hiking out at Gifford Pinchot NF.

Working at Buds was great! It's a small company believe it or not; I would have enjoyed working there longer but there wasn't a lot of opportunities to move up in the company. Either way, I got to spend some time shooting everything I could ever want; full auto, suppressed, SBRs, etc. It was a blast! ;)

You may want to consider Oregon/Utah combo class. That Utah permit gets you a load of other states, including Washington. Utah is cheap to re-up too. Wifey just got her notice and it's only $15.00, every four years I think.

When I moved back here to OR I used this: Online Training

It worked just fine. I agree if someone hasn't had much experience a face to face class is the way to go.

If a vet your DD214 WILL WORK.
my son used his after coming home from Iraq.

My understanding is just being in the military won't work. You need to show specific handgun training.

To the OP: since you are new to firearms, I would recommend the NRA Basic Handgun 1 class. One day with good overviews. Mostly classroom with a bit of range time. I took it before I purchased a handgun and glad I did. The certificate from this class works in getting the Oregon CHP.

+1 on the Oregon/Utah class. I took it and is well worth the time. It is a great way to spend a Saturday and gives you the opportunity to ask questions that you may have. It also opens you up to get other states in the process. The class I took I think was good for 32 states if you jump through all the hoops.

1) Online class
Oregon Sheriffs' Association

2) Shaun Curtain (check calendar in link)
<broken link removed>

3)Clackamas County Public Safety CHL class
Classes & Clinics

Of the three Clackmas County would be the most thorough.
And any questions can be answered by someone that could be cuffing you if you do the wrong thing in the wild. :D

I took the Shaun Curtain class for Oregon/Utah.
I think Oregon/Arizona gives you even more states.
He gives classes all over, so check his calendar in the link.

@Kaskadian

It is your responsibility to know the laws.
How do you learn best? Reading - like a book? Watching videos - like U-Tuby? From an instructor?

I don't have any issue with someone meeting the minimum to get the permit. So don't read my comment that way. The less I have to do with the Government the better. Same for everyone.
If you have a permit from some where else, take the online course, get the paper and you are good to go.

But you need to know the laws.

My recommendation for Oregon - won't help you with the permit - will help with real life
Is OFF Oregon Firearms Federation
And get the book (and duh, study it)
Oregon's Gun Laws. A guide for gun owners in the Beaver State.

My understanding is just being in the military won't work. You need to show specific handgun training.

Yep, at least when I did it...DD214 was insufficient by itself unless there was a handgun proficiency award on it . I had show a MOS award certificate with a description of the training which proved handgun training within the MOS.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads