JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many preference points do you need to secure an Oregon pronghorn tag?
Not the worst unit, not necessarily the best... just curious how many it took to get what you got?

also, I'm curious if anyone has ever drawn a tag in the Trout Creek Mountains for buck deer (Hunt 168A)? How many points...?

Not the worst unit, not necessarily the best... just curious how many it took to get what you got?

also, I'm curious if anyone has ever drawn a tag in the Trout Creek Mountains for buck deer (Hunt 168A)? How many points...?
Good question. I've applied for a few years and had no success.

Don't know about Trout Creek, but was unsuccessful in Desolation for deer this year. Usually do Ukiah. Might go anyway with cougar tags.

Got spike only in Ukiah again though - hopefully there'll be meat in camp again this year :)

To anyone who responds - thanks for the chance to learn new things.

Koda

To the best of my knowledge and understanding of ODFW rules there is no such thing as a guarantee tag based on points in Oregon. Preference points just get you a better chance in the lottery. I put the link to ODFW rules below. The best thing to do to figure out your odds which ODFW does a good job also listed that link below. My group rotates to make sure we spread out the bull tags so we look at points and odd every year.

ODFW Controlled Hunt Preference Points
ODFW Controlled Hunts

Koda

To the best of my knowledge and understanding of ODFW rules there is no such thing as a guarantee tag based on points in Oregon. Preference points just get you a better chance in the lottery. I put the link to ODFW rules below. The best thing to do to figure out your odds which ODFW does a good job also listed that link below. My group rotates to make sure we spread out the bull tags so we look at points and odd every year.

I missed my tag with 3 points which means next year with 4 points I should be guaranteed based on this year drawing but that depends on how many people with more points or the same as me apply.
upload_2017-6-21_11-26-1.png

ODFW Controlled Hunts

Koda

ODFW Controlled Hunts
Yep. Thanks! This the way to go. let's all talk more. And listen.
To those of you fortunate enough to draw tags - how many years did it take you?
We've been trying Malheur now for a few years with no luck.

Last Edited:
11-12 years for Steens.
Now not to rub it in, lol, but I pulled Mine in 2.
I can't say how or why, but it was my second 14 inch I shot there.
I saw a giant during deer season there. Like pushing 19 inches.

11-12 years for Steens.
Now not to rub it in, lol, but I pulled Mine in 2.

i was told 17 points. i also know some state workers who got it first time. yes, they work for odfw.

----

this is all good to know, just gives me a random ballpark. I have 9 points for pronghorn, and 6 points for buck deer. I was mentioning to my hunting partner that as we continue to apply each year we should be ready to... actually draw a tag. Some years we've collected preference points when we forsee our year being busy and with work schedules.... but as we acquire preference points we should hopefully get one soon.

I do know that there is a percentage of tags that are allocated for anyone regardless of points so its always possible to draw a hard tag at any given time. I think it was set up that way so everyone does have a chance each year.

(we didn't get anything this year...)

16 Antelope points, been putting in for Juniper..... no tag again this year.
16 Elk points, been putting in for Mt. Emily..... no tag again this year.

Anybody got a good recipe for preference point stew?

----

this is all good to know, just gives me a random ballpark. I have 9 points for pronghorn, and 6 points for buck deer. I was mentioning to my hunting partner that as we continue to apply each year we should be ready to... actually draw a tag. Some years we've collected preference points when we forsee our year being busy and with work schedules.... but as we acquire preference points we should hopefully get one soon.

I do know that there is a percentage of tags that are allocated for anyone regardless of points so its always possible to draw a hard tag at any given time. I think it was set up that way so everyone does have a chance each year.

(we didn't get anything this year...)
dude which deer tag do u apply to? and are u applying as a group? by a group i mean 5 or more people? we RARELY dont get our buck tags. we have a group of 8 that all apply. it only takes 1 person to draw it for all of us to get it...

dude which deer tag do u apply to? and are u applying as a group? by a group i mean 5 or more people? we RARELY dont get our buck tags. we have a group of 8 that all apply. it only takes 1 person to draw it for all of us to get it...

I only have 1 deer hunting partner. We have been collecting preference points because of work schedules but we are talking about applying for a controlled hunt now that we have points. What Im debating is to apply for a hard to get hunt or something easier. Ive always been curious and wanted to hunt the trout creek mountains for deer.

I only have 1 deer hunting partner. We have been collecting preference points because of work schedules but we are talking about applying for a controlled hunt now that we have points. What Im debating is to apply for a hard to get hunt or something easier. Ive always been curious and wanted to hunt the trout creek mountains for deer.
u want a chance at huge buck? mt emily

edit: lots of huge bucks in the chemult unit too

u want a chance at huge buck?

Not necessarily a trophy buck, but love the open country and that part of the state. Haven't been there in years and want to go back. another thing I'm factoring in is that at my age I will probably never be able to acquire enough points to go for a hard to get hunt again... thats why I was curios what others got... so say if it takes 17 points to get lucky, Id have to keep applying for up to another 11 years.

I'll take a look at other areas like Mt Emily though.

Ive had 2 pronghorn tags, the last one in 2002. Then there was several years where I didnt hunt. Since Ive been back into it, I immediately started collecting preference points every year. I drew a buck tag for the Desolation unit about 5 years ago.

anyways. It looks like the meager points I have now are not close enough to count on... My hope is to draw one premium buck hunt and at least one more antelope hunt in my lifetime.

Half a dozen will get you an mediocre tag now, but the points are creeping up. Look at Wyoming for antelope. It's not that far, a lot of fun hunting the plains.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top