JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just so I dont get in trouble. is there any restrictions selling a Semi auto pistol to a WA resident? I know we need to use an Oregon FFL dealer to buy and sell in Oregon for a background check. I assume its a FFL transfer to WA FFL dealer. Just not sure with all the new crazy gun laws in WA.

That is my understanding as well. You would have to get pistol sent to WA FFL for buyer to complete the transfer up there with all the hassles of 1639 law.

Now if it was only a frame, you could take that across the border and providing you could find a WA FFL who would complete the transfer as a frame the buyer would not be subject to the 1639 laws to waiting period as handguns are.

Last Edited:
Just so I dont get in trouble. is there any restrictions selling a Semi auto pistol to a WA resident? I know we need to use an Oregon FFL dealer to buy and sell in Oregon for a background check. I assume its a FFL transfer to WA FFL dealer. Just not sure with all the new crazy gun laws in WA.
Supposedly if you can find a WA FFL who will receive a private party shipped handgun for transfer, you would not have to use an FFL to ship it from Oregon. Please correct me if I am wrong? I understand shipping options are limited in this situation.

1639 does not apply to any handguns. There are many other laws that apply to a WA resident purchasing a handgun. The handgun must be transferred to the WA buyer through an FFL dealer in WA. (I'm assuming the gun is not a C&R or the buyer does not have a C&R FFL).

WA law aside, federal law requires the transfer of a handgun, to a WA state buyer take place at a WA state FFL. Any purchase of a handgun in the USA requires that the handgun be transferred to the buyer in the buyer's state of residence.

You can ship or take it there physically.

Beyond that, not sure about WA state law anymore - I no longer live there and it has become complicated so I don't stay current on the new laws, so I can't comment on that aspect.

1639 does not apply to any handguns. There are many other laws that apply to a WA resident purchasing a handgun. The handgun must be transferred to the WA buyer through an FFL dealer in WA. (I'm assuming the gun is not a C&R or the buyer does not have a C&R FFL).
My mistake. Would it be fair to say that the same requirements for picking up a semi-auto rifle exist for handguns in WA (wait times, training cert, etc) but they existed for handguns prior to 1639?

Edit: after more research it looks like the waiting period is the only additional step for picking up a handgun in WA (assuming buyer doesn't have CPL)? Would this apply to AR style pistol as well or did they somehow get impacted by I-1639?

Last Edited:
have him meet you in Vancouver . you give to ffl, they do transfer and you go home with your cash. now if they get denied you would have to have them send it back to a ffl in Oregon. but once they give you the money your job is done.

Now if it was only a frame, you could take that across the border and providing you could find a WA FFL who would complete the transfer as a frame the buyer would not be subject to the 1639 laws to waiting period as handguns are.
NO this is a complete pistol. not a farme.
Supposedly if you can find a WA FFL who will receive a private party shipped handgun for transfer, you would not have to use an FFL to ship it from Oregon. Please correct me if I am wrong? I understand shipping options are limited in this situation.
are you saying not many FFLs wanting to deal with private party? great work on WA legislators making gun transfer one step harder. aka gun control.
Yes 1639 is the latest news worthy law, but I was not speaking to just that, I hear lately WA has new laws coming so I didn't know what the total rules/laws are currently
WA law aside, federal law requires the transfer of a handgun, to a WA state buyer take place at a WA state FFL. Any purchase of a handgun in the USA requires that the handgun be transferred to the buyer in the buyer's state of residence.
thanks, sounds good
have him meet you in Vancouver . you give to ffl, they do transfer and you go home with your cash. now if they get denied you would have to have them send it back to a ffl in Oregon. but once they give you the money your job is done.
even better yet quick and easy.

I am in the same situation as the OP. I was planning on using an Oregon FFL to ship to a Washington FFL. After talking to the Washington FFL, I am planning on shipping directly to him.

Is there an advantage in going through an Oregon FFL? What is required for a private individual to ship to a Washington FFL? I believe I just need a copy of the FFL.

I just legally purchased a handgun from an OR resident. I am a WA resident. Have them drive it across the border and
transfer the pistol at a WA FFL. If you ship it there will be additional costs of the OR FFL and shipping costs. No
sales tax only transfer fee. Now in WA you have a waiting period to pass background check even if you have a CPL.
I found a FFL that will hold the pistol (Tropics Loan and Jewelry) until the background check is clear. If you live in the
City of Vancouver it takes about a week. A Clark County resident takes over 3 weeks.

I am in the same situation as the OP. I was planning on using an Oregon FFL to ship to a Washington FFL. After talking to the Washington FFL, I am planning on shipping directly to him.

Is there an advantage in going through an Oregon FFL? What is required for a private individual to ship to a Washington FFL? I believe I just need a copy of the FFL.

Many Ffl's do not accept transfers from private parties. A ffl can ship Usps as opposed to fedex or ups which is a lot cheaper it cost me a total of about 50$ to have Tigard pawn ship a gun I traded into up to me in Washington

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews