JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This kind of thing is a daily occurrence here now (actually several times a day). Just listen to the 5-0 radio app to hear police band. Just this week they closed down 5 blocks of stark street by 205 mall and I think police shot the crazy guy who was wielding 2 knives and threatening poeple. There are numerous homeless camps around 205 mall area. Police fatally shoot man near Mall 205 in Southeast Portland

If you listen to the police band, over 90% of what the police deal with are homeless/druggies, and these crazies are often violent. They are given free bus tickets from CA, NM, AZ and when they get here they stay due to infrastructure/people willing to keep them here. I need to start videoing the ones I see cuz most poeple won't believe how bad it is.
I would..after 23 years of L/E nothing surprises me..:s0151:

Sounds like someone needed to smash her face in.. at least she'd learn a lesson.. the current system just catches and releases these types all the while not paying out what victims are owed. The law is set up to protect people like her.

What really pisses me off are the enabling do-gooders giving bags of clothes, blankets, food, etc only to have the worthless rummage through maybe take a few things they want then leave the rest of crap to rot and add to the mess.

We have oodles of those here... if one dares to mention any kind of tough love, you are endlessly villainized!! (sp?)

This is precisely why I don't panhandle in Oregon.
Break a few things.......they get all bent out of shape.

If you're on the corner performing with a cup out for donations, is it still panhandling?

Yes, yes it is.
You envision yourself as a guitar virtuoso with a golden voice but in reality
you sound like worn out brake pads strumming the strings on Venetian blinds.

Well, I need a 1st and 2nd tenor and a baritone in order to sing... so there is that... we've been known to hang out on street corners, but never ever with a donation hat or cup out!!! :)

This kind of thing is a daily occurrence here now (actually several times a day). Just listen to the 5-0 radio app to hear police band. Just this week they closed down 5 blocks of stark street by 205 mall and I think police shot the crazy guy who was wielding 2 knives and threatening poeple. There are numerous homeless camps around 205 mall area. Police fatally shoot man near Mall 205 in Southeast Portland

If you listen to the police band, over 90% of what the police deal with are homeless/druggies, and these crazies are often violent. They are given free bus tickets from CA, NM, AZ and when they get here they stay due to infrastructure/people willing to keep them here. I need to start videoing the ones I see cuz most poeple won't believe how bad it is.

Is the download for cellphones ? Do you have a link ? My scanner is a 40 + year old bearcat .

There ARE legitimate buskers out there. My personal experience is not a fair representation because I know way more musicians than most.

But, they DO exist.

Also, they play nicer neighborhoods where people have money and want to sip and be entertained. You won't find them on the corner of Stark and 205.

I wonder if some form of indentured servant-hood needs to be brought back for those that cause such damage but cannot ever pay.

I was a landlord for awhile, and a bad tenant skipped out on nearly $10,000 worth of rent, and fled the state, basically a skip-trace situation. Years later, I've been unable to ever recover and never will so I ate 10 grand in loses which caused me severe economic harm. This often creates ripple effect, to where the injured party then can't pay and so forth.

Seems to me a Court should have some authority to hold a person in place until they repay or provide services (landscaping, snow shoveling, cleanup, get a job and garnish significant wages, whatever can be agreed upon) until debts are paid in full.

At MINIMUM these people should be put to work for the public good. Snow shovels and trash bags and poop-cleanup duty at $1 per hour.

The era of doing economic harm to someone innocent person and then skating because you're too poor to pay needs to end.

I wonder if some form of indentured servant-hood needs to be brought back for those that cause such damage but cannot ever pay.

I was a landlord for awhile, and a bad tenant skipped out on nearly $10,000 worth of rent, and fled the state, basically a skip-trace situation. Years later, I've been unable to ever recover and never will so I ate 10 grand in loses which caused me severe economic harm. This often creates ripple effect, to where the injured party then can't pay and so forth.

Seems to me a Court should have some authority to hold a person in place until they repay or provide services (landscaping, snow shoveling, cleanup, get a job and garnish significant wages, whatever can be agreed upon) until debts are paid in full.

The era of doing economic harm to someone innocent person and then skating because you're too poor to pay needs to end.

Also a former landlord. How on earth did you let someone get $10k into your pocket for rent? Was it commercial property??? Or a judge that just wouldn't enforce eviction orders???

As far as indentured restitution, I can see both benefits and concerns... yeah, it be nice to be paid what I lost due to damage and skipped rent, but if the country starts looking like Old England or the Middle Ages, I don't think anybody is going to want that. Not sure the answer is there.

I think that as landlords, we know the risks involved, or we SHOULD. What I found was that I had to stay right on top of my renters or they would be damaging my property, or trying to skip or be late with rent. Long distance managing didn't work, and professional managers really didn't work. I had one place that had animals they weren't supposed to have, and another that had 3 families living there (when I told them they were breaking the terms of the contract, they had the others sleep in cars out back, and a camper in front... uh, NO!!) One couple had to be chased for rent EVERY MONTH! I charged a $50 late fee, but it was hardly worth having to post notice on them every month, so we evicted them. When the judge asked why she didn't pay her rent, she said "I don't know". Got tired of it and sold all our rental properties.)

Also a former landlord. How on earth did you let someone get $10k into your pocket for rent? Was it commercial property??? Or a judge that just wouldn't enforce eviction orders???

As far as indentured restitution, I can see both benefits and concerns... yeah, it be nice to be paid what I lost due to damage and skipped rent, but if the country starts looking like Old England or the Middle Ages, I don't think anybody is going to want that. Not sure the answer is there.

I think that as landlords, we know the risks involved, or we SHOULD. What I found was that I had to stay right on top of my renters or they would be damaging my property, or trying to skip or be late with rent. Long distance managing didn't work, and professional managers really didn't work. I had one place that had animals they weren't supposed to have, and another that had 3 families living there (when I told them they were breaking the terms of the contract, they had the others sleep in cars out back, and a camper in front... uh, NO!!) One couple had to be chased for rent EVERY MONTH! I charged a $50 late fee, but it was hardly worth having to post notice on them every month, so we evicted them. When the judge asked why she didn't pay her rent, she said "I don't know". Got tired of it and sold all our rental properties.)

Rent was something like $1800. Guy was a veteran with a wife and several kids and a job, and VA benefits, so I assumed he was a good risk. After 1-2 months delinquency, they "promised" they'd have the money to get caught up. I gave them leniency, which in hindsight was a poor decision but probably a better risk than a vacancy in the winter on a high-rent property. But it was off-season to rent it out (military town) so I was in a tough decision. Either evict them and be guaranteed to get nothing while it sits vacant, or gamble that they would actually pay. At month 3-4 when it was clear they were not going to pay we gave them the required 30 days. So it was about 4-5 months ... i.e. nearly $10 grand. We secured a judgment in court for the full amount, but it's worthless to someone insolvent who doesn't care and skipped the state. It was a rough time for me and that was financially crippling at that time.

Rent was something like $1800. Guy was a veteran with a wife and several kids and a job, and VA benefits, so I assumed he was a good risk. After 1-2 months delinquency, they "promised" they'd have the money to get caught up. I gave them leniency, which in hindsight was a poor decision but probably a better risk than a vacancy in the winter on a high-rent property. But it was off-season to rent it out (military town) so I was in a tough decision. Either evict them and be guaranteed to get nothing while it sits vacant, or gamble that they would actually pay. At month 3-4 when it was clear they were not going to pay we gave them the required 30 days. So it was about 4-5 months ... i.e. nearly $10 grand. We secured a judgment in court for the full amount, but it's worthless to someone insolvent who doesn't care and skipped the state. It was a rough time for me and that was financially crippling at that time.

There was a time when property speculation was so rampant that people ignored the basic rules of owning rental property. One of those rules was of course, no mercy, ever! Another was to always have enough cash on hand or rather in a holding account to see the property thru any possible vacant periods. When rent is $1800/mo and vacancy can be up to six months, a low mortgage payment would help. Better yet is outright ownership. But ownership is a long term investment plan that rarely exists with today's highly leveraged buying patterns. It's a huge risk for the average person to delve into and yet all the gurus were pushing "flex" mortgages that did nothing except get people into trouble.

I feel your pain!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads