JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And I would add carrying abnormally or unconventionally might make even RATIONAL people uneasy.

Remember the 'tall, lankey stupid lookin' fella' I once posted about I saw OCing in a Bend pawn shop ? He had two revolvers in old leather holsters hanging forward on his belt (kind of like pointing at each other)

I described him as looking like a bad extra in a spaghetti western or a like someone from the 1920's defending his still against the revenuers.

Well, I am a very RATIONAL person and have no problem with OC but this person did make me a bit uneasy and I left the shop.

He had creepy, dead, narrow eyes and it was very obvious he was out to intimidate people.
There's an elderly gent I see fairly regular at Bi-Mart in Prineville. Boots, wide-brim hat, spurs, the whole nine, and yea a pair of six-shooters hanging from his old west leather gun belt. Looks like Ruger Blackhawks, can't tell if .44Mag or .45, but definitely big bore. Red bandana over his weathered face, which I gathered has been part of his wardrobe LONG before China unleashed a killer virus on the world. He looks as if he walked right out of central casting. Very Sam Elliott. Guessing he's punched more than his fair share of cows. I'm surprised when I walk out of the store not to see a horse tethered to the hitchin post. One day we were standing in adjoining checkout lines and he caught me admiring his shooting irons. He gave me a tip of his hat and I noticed his bullet loops were empty. "Where are your bullets?" I said. "Well sir, they're in the guns." I chuckled and said "well that's where they belong." He just nodded and looked straight on...

I don't think there was a nervous soul in that whole store...

Last Edited:
And I would add carrying abnormally or unconventionally might make even RATIONAL people uneasy.

Remember the 'tall, lankey stupid lookin' fella' I once posted about I saw OCing in a Bend pawn shop ? He had two revolvers in old leather holsters hanging forward on his belt (kind of like pointing at each other)

I described him as looking like a bad extra in a spaghetti western or a like someone from the 1920's defending his still against the revenuers.

Well, I am a very RATIONAL person and have no problem with OC but this person did make me a bit uneasy and I left the shop.

He had creepy, dead, narrow eyes and it was very obvious he was out to intimidate people.
We all like to think we are rational, even people that may be of the anti 2A persuasion. And don't take that as a slight. It's not. I mean it sincerely. I don't believe the mere presence of a firearm, is a reason to get worked up about. The manor of peoples actions and how they interact with said firearms, well, that's a whole other story. If a guy is mean mugging you with his hand on the grip as if its high noon, yeah, again, whole other story. But IMO, presence of a firearm is about as ominous as the presence of a hammer.

I don't believe the mere presence of a firearm, is a reason to get worked up about.
It wasn't the 'presence' of his firearms but what they were connected to is what I didn't care to be around.

I was hardly 'worked up' - heck I occasionally OC myself - but I look considerably different from this person.

I simply saw things I did not like about this person, nor did I care to listen to his incoherent ramblings so I left.

I believe if one is going to OC they need to dress and conduct themselves in manner corresponding with the environment they are OCing in.

Get a CCW. Then you don't have to worry about any of this. Or CONCEAL carry without a license and don't tell anyone. Either works. You do your own risk assessment and own the consequences IF you get caught. I should have to say this but I will - This isn't legal advise. Just my opinion. At the end of the day unless you're in the woods/rural cities, in my opinion open carry is stupid and does absolutely nothing positive for the 2A community.

I think when laws were changed in Oregon to make Oregon a "must issue" state with respect to CHLs, the laws were also changed in a way that made it harder to transport guns at all unless you have a CHL. For example, a gun in a car in Oregon is, as far as I know, a concealed weapon unless it is somewhere inaccessible, like in a trunk. And this became true even if the gun was unloaded. But not all vehicles have trunks. Up until then, an empty gun was not a concealed weapon. Only a loaded gun was a concealed weapon. And guns weren't considered concealed unless they were on or within reach of the driver and actually concealed rather than in plain sight. Even a gun in plain sight on the passengers seat or on the drivers belt is concealed from the point of view of a cop approaching the vehicle .

So if your vehicle had no trunk, and you had no CHP, how could you take a handgun to the range to shoot it? Or how could you take it along when hunting if there was no legal way to get it to the woods? I think the various subrules were designed to allow people with no CHP a legal way to transport their guns to ranges and hunting sites if they had vehicles with no trunks. When the laws were changed, I had a vehicle with no trunk. And as best I could figure it out, there was no way I could carry a handgun in my vehicle at all, loaded or emoty, unless I got CHP.

That was a long time ago, and there have been many changes in Oregon gun laws since. So don't take my word for it. And I'm not a lawyer either.

A few years back I asked the same question. I'm from CA and Or does not accept my CCW [ CA does not accept Or's either] We were looking at property in the Klamath falls to Grants Pass area. And I asked the question How is it going to be seen if I open Carry.
As it turns out an old guy pulling a 5th wheel with a revolver open carried does not even rate a second look! If I were going to stay an Or CCW would not be hard to get. DR

Going to start by saying open-concealed handguns whether legal or not carries many additional risks like litigation, incarceration, death.

I myself am rational and levelheaded, in my own mind. Other folks think otherwise and have said so.

I had purchased a used rifle from a gun shop in Sherman Oaks, CA. Walking it towards my parked car, was interrogated by a well-intentioned citizen. Assured him gun was unloaded, bolt was removed (in my pocket). After discussing safety with him, was permitted to proceed to my car to secure the gun. My fear: escalation to police interaction (people get shot for much less).

A few whiles later in Oregon, a gun-stealer murdered a stranger in Clackamas Town Center.

After reading all the wisdom at that time in NWF, I per-sued an Oregon Concealed Handgun License as well as Utah's Concealed Firearms Permit, taught by 540 Tactical with live-fire component.

Considering all the true and maybe not true information, I attended a course on lethal force offered by Andrew Branca, Lawyer. Lots of good information for me. I developed my philosophy of "retreat, dis-engage".

I purchased insurance to reduce financial exposure in case of a shooting incident, also legal defense assistance (call my lawyer).
Learned to "dress for the gun" subdued, avoid unwanted attention.
Carry a Glock 27 under my tee-shirt, dress shirt, sports coat, leather jacket, hidden from everybody. An extra magazine clip too.
Practice more than some folks do. Belong to Douglas Ridge Gun club.
Scan (just as we all do while driving) to get the big picture, keep my eyes moving, and always consider a way of retreat.

There is more to my processing a trip to Bi-Mart than what I wrote above.

A few years back I asked the same question. I'm from CA and Or does not accept my CCW [ CA does not accept Or's either] We were looking at property in the Klamath falls to Grants Pass area. And I asked the question How is it going to be seen if I open Carry.
As it turns out an old guy pulling a 5th wheel with a revolver open carried does not even rate a second look! If I were going to stay an Or CCW would not be hard to get. DR
Wait. What? You have a conceal carry permit from CALIFORNIA??????? :cool:

Obviously you don't live in Los Angeles County.

In my county[ Madera] the Sherrif will provide the initial CCW class free of charge! They encourage CCW here! DR
Wow. I knew some of the counties up north along with Orange County are known for rational issue CCW, good to know yours is as well. I'd hear -- in the irony of ironies -- the Sacramento County is also very reasonable w/ permits.

I was recently pulled over on my cbr motorcycle I gave him my license and ccw permit,
he asked if I was carrying I said yes he looked me over but couldn't tell where it was.
No ticket, I have been let go 6+ times in my car and bike in the last 5 years. Ccw is why I
think..

I was recently pulled over on my cbr motorcycle I gave him my license and ccw permit,
he asked if I was carrying I said yes he looked me over but couldn't tell where it was.
No ticket, I have been let go 6+ times in my car and bike in the last 5 years. Ccw is why I
think..
Very fortunately haven't been pulled over in some time, but I feel like I would mention my location so he doesn't wig out on me. Last thing I want is to go put my wallet back and have him think I was going for a potential weapon. I have a rather extreme lead allergy.

Well back when they didnt issue ccw cause of covid I asked the beaverton police, how do I exercise my right when Beaverton and portland disallow even open carry?

No response other than a very rude "we enforce it still" from the police sargent. After some back and forth, I did not get a reply when I said that the 2nd amendment is practically abolished there because i can't exercise it, defend my family and still be legal.

So I would not open carry in multnomah county and beaverton. If hiking on not so populated trails I would not really care to be honest.... or go hiking in washington, you can conceal carry without a license when hiking and camping (officer cited me that law and told me this and said im fine as long as I dont go into town lime this)

Other than that, you are SOOL around portland without a CCW, is my understanding.

Based on what you asked the LEO did not actually answer your question.
Well because I said "so there is no way for me to exercise my constitutional right in beaverton because there is an unconstitutional city ordinance and the sherrifs office is closed because of covid". "How can I protect my family and who is liable if something happens and I was denied my right to carry a firearm?"

He did not take that kindly saying it was constitutional but did not answer my question how I can legally exercise my right, correct. He didn't answer it because there was no right answer other than "youre right". And heaven forbid the police is in the wrong *eyeroll*

I asked about loaded rifle/shotgun in a car too which seems a grey area. The answer was "we encourage transporting firearms unloaded"

To answer the OP, make sure that you can open carry, with a loaded firearm, without having a CCL. You may have to "go hiking" with an unloaded gun strapped to your hip.

Echoed from previous posts, get your CCL and be done with it.

:s0155:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews