JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm pretty new to firearm ownership. The primary reason I decided to become a gun owner was for home and personal defense. So my question is this. Though I intend to start working towards my concealed carry permit at some point soon, is it realistic to open carry until then?

The most likely scenario where'd I'd consider open carrying would be when I'm hiking or camping with my family. I understand that Oregon is an open carry state with some exceptions (specific cities and I believe one county disallowing it), but what is the actual viability of open carry in actual practice? Any reason to be concerned about open carrying when outdoors hiking or enjoying nature? For example, how many Oregonians are actually aware that Oregon is an open carry state? Is carrying a pistol in an outside the waistband holster while hiking or camping going to attract unwanted attention or potentially negative attention from people that don't realize that open carry is allowed and legal in Oregon? Any other reasons why open carry isn't practical?

While I do not live in Oregon...so take the following with a grain or two of salt.

I would say that open carry will be fine....in some areas.

How you"carry" yourself , when open carrying your handgun will make a difference in how you are perceived.
It wise to be mindful of the notion that when you do anything in public view with a firearm , you are now representing all gun owners.

With that said....
Open carrying in other areas , is a bad idea , due to many reasons.
Your mentioning of "unwanted attention" / "negative attention" being high on the list.

As stated above its all about the Location...and if I may add : know your "audience."
Andy

Is carrying a pistol in an outside the waistband holster while hiking or camping going to attract unwanted attention or potentially negative attention from people that don't realize that open carry is allowed and legal in Oregon?
Short answer, yes.

Long answer it can depend on location but more and more people are recreating outdoors and finding those obscure places to camp or hike. I hike and backpack a lot and most always conceal.

1) Open carrying while in the wilderness is usually ok but you'll want to check laws if you're in any type of state or national park

2) For open carrying in populated areas, take a look around and see if you see anyone else doing it. If you don't, odds are good that you'll be contacted by law enforcement if you decide to do it...even though it may be technically legal.

3) And just because it's legal doesn't mean it's a good idea. From a tactical and safety standpoint, open carrying is a horrible idea IMO. It's a big invitation to get robbed...assuming they don't just shoot you first and take your gun.

Location location location

You will get hassled in the Willamette Valley. No one will notice in Most of Eastern Oregon.

Especially these days.
Agree about the valley statement, with the exception of Tillamook State Forest.

Also, make sure you have a Level 2 or Level 3 holster so that someone cannot just take it from you.

Be careful with city ordinances too. In certain cities you are not allowed to open carry a loaded firearm without a CCW. The ammunition and firearm have to be separate. Stupid.. I know.. personally I would advise to stay away from open carry unless out in the woods. If you are a new gun owner I would highly suggest you train and invest in a good retention holster if you are going to walk down the open carry path. Situational awareness is a must.

Though I intend to start working towards my concealed carry permit at some point soon, is it realistic to open carry until then?
1) I agree with all the prior comments. It's tricky since you have a legal right to open carry, but those that you meet also have an ability and right to call law enforcement about you - again, that likelihood is location dependent - hiking trails in the Cascades forests = less likely, hiking trail at Multnomah Falls = very likely.

2) If you are looking to conceal carry eventually, then jump in as soon as possible and get your OR CHL. You can complete the prerequisite certification online through the Oregon State Sheriff's CHL course. I suggest putting your efforts into concealed since it gives you so many more carry options, and less public hassle. With legal concealed carry, you will know it's there, but when done right, 99% of everyone else won't know (the one's that do likely have a CHL too).

3) Also, since you describe yourself as a new firearms owner, I also suggest spending resources on a training/defense class that has in-person class time AND range time. Nothing like taking through questions like this OP and getting comfortable with your firearm. Good luck.

I'm pretty new to firearm ownership. The primary reason I decided to become a gun owner was for home and personal defense. So my question is this. Though I intend to start working towards my concealed carry permit at some point soon, is it realistic to open carry until then?

The most likely scenario where'd I'd consider open carrying would be when I'm hiking or camping with my family. I understand that Oregon is an open carry state with some exceptions (specific cities and I believe one county disallowing it), but what is the actual viability of open carry in actual practice? Any reason to be concerned about open carrying when outdoors hiking or enjoying nature? For example, how many Oregonians are actually aware that Oregon is an open carry state? Is carrying a pistol in an outside the waistband holster while hiking or camping going to attract unwanted attention or potentially negative attention from people that don't realize that open carry is allowed and legal in Oregon? Any other reasons why open carry isn't practical?
Generally, open carry is a bad idea. It scares soccer moms and then they join Moms Demand Action and then we get SB554 which makes YOU responsible for somebody else's criminal actions should they steal your guns.

Second, you give up any tactical advantage, and make yourself a target. This applies to populated areas including populated trails in the metro areas.

Out on the USFS or BLM, you should be fine. Most people outside of the metro areas will not even bat an eye at your piece.

But get your CHL.

Drive a car : Wear your seat-belt... Ride a motorcycle: Wear a helmet... Spend time out in the woods: carry some protection even if it's just bear spray.
Open carry in populated areas is just NOT cool, legal or not. Being "out in the woods" or out in remote areas without some kind of protection is just not smart especially with kids and/or loved ones and don't forget the dog.

Don't forget about the county ordinances. I believe Multnomah county has a no guns in public law on the books.
Last I heard Multco was to open carry loaded must have a CHL. Open carry unloaded okay. o_O
But-then who knows what new laws have come down the sewer pipe since we started keeping the permits?

Drive a car : Wear your seat-belt... Ride a motorcycle: Wear a helmet... Spend time out in the woods: carry some protection even if it's just bear spray.
Open carry in populated areas is just NOT cool, legal or not. Being "out in the woods" or out in remote areas without some kind of protection is just not smart especially with kids and/or loved ones and don't forget the dog.
There are some places where OC in populated areas won't even earn a second glance. Prineville, Junction City, Burns, Madras, those small- to medium-sized towns where most people own guns... That said, it's generally a bad idea, I agree.

I've also seen OC in Downtown Phoenix, AZ. Still a fairly gun-friendly state but sadly changing quickly as Californians flee the dumpster fire they voted for in that state they ruined...

OP's current primary focus = hiking/camping with family.

Good responses.

God forbid you have a situation where you need your firearm to defend yourself or family, but if it happens and you don't have your firearm because you feared the attention or hassling that might occur because of open carry, the gut-wrenching agony of not being able to defend your family because of that inconsequential concern, will never dissipate.

In your situation, I concur with @when_DM_smiles. Take action today. Get the permit.

I generally concur that open-carry in modern American communities typically results in unwanted impact and attention.

But in the boonies, I wouldn't think twice.

Note to self: if need milk, not Troutdale Safeway. :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads