JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm pretty new to firearm ownership. The primary reason I decided to become a gun owner was for home and personal defense. So my question is this. Though I intend to start working towards my concealed carry permit at some point soon, is it realistic to open carry until then?

The most likely scenario where'd I'd consider open carrying would be when I'm hiking or camping with my family. I understand that Oregon is an open carry state with some exceptions (specific cities and I believe one county disallowing it), but what is the actual viability of open carry in actual practice? Any reason to be concerned about open carrying when outdoors hiking or enjoying nature? For example, how many Oregonians are actually aware that Oregon is an open carry state? Is carrying a pistol in an outside the waistband holster while hiking or camping going to attract unwanted attention or potentially negative attention from people that don't realize that open carry is allowed and legal in Oregon? Any other reasons why open carry isn't practical?
I open carry whenever I'm in the woods or rural areas. I would not open carry in town, and I simply don't go to Multnomah County (Portland) at all. When I do go to town I carry concealed since I have a CHL.

I was recently pulled over on my cbr motorcycle I gave him my license and ccw permit,
he asked if I was carrying I said yes he looked me over but couldn't tell where it was.
No ticket, I have been let go 6+ times in my car and bike in the last 5 years. Ccw is why I
think..
I have a buddy who's a cop in Phoenix (AZ). He told me, unquestionably, "we view licensed carriers as 'better' than other citizens at a contact." Cops know the statistics. They know that CC are the least criminal demographic (even better than cops), they know we have gone through the time and trouble to obtain the training, they know we are people who value law and order (as evidenced by our compliance with frankly unconstitutional laws), and they know we will most likely have a spotless criminal record.

As a group CC are the least worrisome for a cop -- as long as we go about it the right way, ie not Philano Castile -- AA who was shot and killed in Falcon Heights, MN, and one of Black Lies Matter's favorite martyrs -- who was carrying while high on marijuana and who did not have his papers in order when the cop approached and who failed to follow the (Hispanic) officer's instructions to the letter, hence making a furtive movement leading to the cop discharging his weapon, the aftermath of which was livestreamed on FB by his GF who was in the passenger seat.

A few years back I asked the same question. I'm from CA and Or does not accept my CCW [ CA does not accept Or's either] We were looking at property in the Klamath falls to Grants Pass area. And I asked the question How is it going to be seen if I open Carry.
As it turns out an old guy pulling a 5th wheel with a revolver open carried does not even rate a second look! If I were going to stay an Or CCW would not be hard to get. DR
FYI, if you own property in OR, you are eligible for a CHL on a shall-issue basis in the county where the property is located, even if you are not a resident. Also, some Oregon sheriffs will grant CHLs to residents of bordering states (even CA LOL) on a may-issue basis, ie at their discretion. So, apply in Klamath County, not Multnomah, for example.

Very fortunately haven't been pulled over in some time, but I feel like I would mention my location so he doesn't wig out on me. Last thing I want is to go put my wallet back and have him think I was going for a potential weapon. I have a rather extreme lead allergy.
When you respectfully hand over your CHL along with your DL, the cop knows (and greatly appreciates) the gesture. He/She will ask about specific locations if they feel the need. And if you are carrying w/ CHL you should already have been trained to interact with LE such that you are not creating the image of a threat in the officer's mind. IE, "sir/ma'am, I'm going to put my wallet back in my right rear pocket now, OK?" The cop will assume you know this.

Like most things these days I've been doing it wrong. I have been open carrying a single action revolver away from civilization for a long time. Like 40 years long time. When I camp in a fee type campground my firearm is out of sight. Out in the woods camping it's on my hip. Worst that's ever happened was some stink eye while passing by someone on a trail but nothing was said. Occasionally I've had a game warden or ranger of some sort walk into my camp for a short chat while I have my six gun on. I don't mention it, or fiddle with it and leave the hammer loop on. That's all there ever is about it. I do have a CHL and when pulled over just follow the officers instructions. I don't offer my CHL card and have never been asked for it. I don't jump around in the car, preferring to just sit still with my hands in sight on the wheel. I have never been asked if I have a firearm or where it's at. The key being to leave it alone. it's the polite thing to do after all.

Like most things these days I've been doing it wrong. I have been open carrying a single action revolver away from civilization for a long time. Like 40 years long time. When I camp in a fee type campground my firearm is out of sight. Out in the woods camping it's on my hip. Worst that's ever happened was some stink eye while passing by someone on a trail but nothing was said. Occasionally I've had a game warden or ranger of some sort walk into my camp for a short chat while I have my six gun on. I don't mention it, or fiddle with it and leave the hammer loop on. That's all there ever is about it. I do have a CHL and when pulled over just follow the officers instructions. I don't offer my CHL card and have never been asked for it. I don't jump around in the car, preferring to just sit still with my hands in sight on the wheel. I have never been asked if I have a firearm or where it's at. The key being to leave it alone. it's the polite thing to do after all.
Different approaches for different people. I always hand over both cards, actually fanning them out like a 2-card blackjack hand so the officer can see the big red stripe. "Carrying today Mr. Ripit?"
"Yes sir, I am?"
"On your hip?"
"No sir, not on my person, but in the vehicle."
"OK, don't reach for it, OK?"
"Yes sir, my hands will remain on this here steering wheel unless you instruct me otherwise."
"Thank you, sir, you can relax. Sit tight for me, thanks..."

"Sir, did you know the speed limit here is 55? Any reason you were doing 97?"
"Oh, shucks. That's the name of the highway! I thought it was the speed limit!"
"OK, sir well I really appreciate your cooperation today. I'm letting you go with a stern warning. Slow it down, OK?"
"You betcha! Thanks for the leniency!"

:)

I don't get warnings any more nor do I get reduced fines if I go to the clerk instead of the judge. Back in the day(s) I thought speeding tickets were just a high performance tax. Even though I don't drive like that anymore I still have a three page driving record and I haven't been pulled over in better than 10 years.

I don't get warnings any more nor do I get reduced fines if I go to the clerk instead of the judge. Back in the day(s) I thought speeding tickets were just a high performance tax. Even though I don't drive like that anymore I still have a three page driving record and I haven't been pulled over in better than 10 years.
I got my first and only speeding ticket at 18 in a tiny town in Georgia. I was doing 132+ when I was clocked. Cop was very kind considering my ignorance, as a kid I assumed tickets only got more expensive as you went faster. I had no idea I was treading felonious water. It was Christmas Day and he let me go with the max he could allow without me becoming a felon (which was 89 in a 70, 90 was felony). When he asked me why I was going so fast I said "the speedometer said I could get up to 160, and I saw you before I got there. I paid for the whole thing, I may as well use the whole thing" and we had a bit of a laugh.

My ex and I were coming home from the Mayo Clinic as her mother had an incredibly rare form of cancer and I think we wanted to just blow off some steam. Being in the middle of nowhere and a holiday, the roads were straight, dry and empty. We were floorin' it home. Her mother survived and made a total recovery.

I got my first and only speeding ticket at 18 in a tiny town in Georgia. I was doing 132+ when I was clocked. Cop was very kind considering my ignorance, as a kid I assumed tickets only got more expensive as you went faster. I had no idea I was treading felonious water. It was Christmas Day and he let me go with the max he could allow without me becoming a felon (which was 89 in a 70, 90 was felony). When he asked me why I was going so fast I said "the speedometer said I could get up to 160, and I saw you before I got there. I paid for the whole thing, I may as well use the whole thing" and we had a bit of a laugh.

My ex and I were coming home from the Mayo Clinic as her mother had an incredibly rare form of cancer and I think we wanted to just blow off some steam. Being in the middle of nowhere and a holiday, the roads were straight, dry and empty. We were floorin' it home. Her mother survived and made a total recovery.
Ah, the good old days! Mine was in Southwestern Wyoming, in my early 20s and he read me at 101 and 92. The judge in the small town of Evanston WY came to the court house just for us. Don't remember what the fine was, but we weren't leaving until he had the money the car or us. Turned out the bank across the street from the courthouse would cash an out of state check! Lucky for us.

Yep that's how it starts out, a break here and there, pretty soon though they figured I wasn't learning from my mistakes so started making me pay the full fine and threatening me with Drivers Ed classes that would raise my insurance rates.

Dare to dream!

Reality ? "Ignorance of the law is no excuse - please sign here"
Ah, tbh I've had pretty good luck in rural Deschutes and Crook. Yeah, 97 on 97? Between LaPine and Madras that'll be a big ticket. I did get stopped north of Chemult once - 86 in a 65. State Trooper. Walked away with a warning. Polite respect goes a long way. 95 in Nevada in a 70. Warning. 80 in a 55 in AZ, Navajo Tribal Police. Warning. I did get stopped once in Malheur Cty, 11 over! RUFKM?? Guy was cool tho, warning.

Flip side: CA 87 in a 70. $485 after all the administrative costs tacked on. MN $265 for 77 in a 65.

Since this is an anonymous forum, I'll also admit I once redlined a well-known German sportscar with a three-digit name on a three-mile ruler flat stretch of road somewhere in the Northwest. Nobody around except my lookout and a few cows. 174MPH and hit the rev limiter @ 5500 in 6th. AKA "jail time," AKA "moderate Autobahn speed." 😎

Last Edited:
Your stock just went up in my book, sir!

I'll also admit I once redlined a well-known German sportscar with a three-digit name on a three-mile ruler flat stretch of road somewhere in the Northwest.
Well, I can 'overlook' an occasional breach of the law - heck we have all done it - it's just when self righteous, narcissistic types do it routinely, such as some of the arrogant, mean faced A-holes with jacked up PUs who pass people on Day Road, or Huntington, or any other road that has 45 MPH or less but have to prove something at 75 + mph.

I see this almost daily - and quite frankly If I someday see them burning in their overturned trucks I won't be too sympathetic.

Polite respect goes a long way.
Yes it does. Just because I've had only one speeding ticket doesn't account for every time I've been pulled over. Friends and family have all been envious of how I can talk my way out by being polite, funny and a lot of "yes sir"s and "no sir"s. Be kind, funny and compassionate and they tend to be okay with you if you aren't drunk or absolutely dumb.

I once got my stop over in ten minutes because (I assume) I opened with "hey man, how's you day been?" He was an older guy, and got my info. Walked to his rig and I presume made me think he was up to something and came back with a warning. Treat them how you want to be treated and you have to accept you've been busted. They tend to see that in you and step off the gas.

Well, I can 'overlook' an occasional breach of the law - heck we have all done it - it's just when self righteous, narcissistic types do it routinely, such as some of the arrogant, mean faced A-holes with jacked up PUs who pass people on Day Road, or Huntington, or any other road that has 45 MPH or less but have to prove something at 75 + mph.

I see this almost daily - and quite frankly If I someday see them burning in their overturned trucks I won't be too sympathetic.
I fully admit to having a lead foot. But my extracurriculars are only performed when nobody else is around and the only person I will kill is myself. :)

Yes it does. Just because I've had only one speeding ticket doesn't account for every time I've been pulled over. Friends and family have all been envious of how I can talk my way out by being polite, funny and a lot of "yes sir"s and "no sir"s. Be kind, funny and compassionate and they tend to be okay with you if you aren't drunk or absolutely dumb.

I once got my stop over in ten minutes because (I assume) I opened with "hey man, how's you day been?" He was an older guy, and got my info. Walked to his rig and I presume made me think he was up to something and came back with a warning. Treat them how you want to be treated and you have to accept you've been busted. They tend to see that in you and step off the gas.
A friend of mine tells a story of being pulled over somewhere in Nevada 25+ over. He knew the cop had him dead to rights. He did the same thing -- asked the cop how he was doing. Cop says "yunno, I hate to have to write you up for not wearing your seatbelt." My friend protested, "sir, I only took my seatbelt off when you approached my car!" Cop says again, "hate to write you up for that $25 seatbelt violation." My friend again, "sir I'm being totally honest with you, I took off my seatbelt as you walked up here so I could get my registration for you out of the glovebox which is why you didn't see me wearing it." Cop says a third time... "sure hate to write you up for that seatbelt." Finally my friend gets it. "Officer, you're right. I should be wearing my seatbelt when I drive in Nevada." A possible $400+ reckless becomes a $25 civil fine.

Cops are people, too.

When I was young and dumb, I had the young and dumb attitude. And guess what? I got stopped all the time... and always got the ticket b/c I was like "screw you man!"

I remember my 19th birthday, I was driving over to Wisconsin from Minneapolis, posted speed on the St. Croix River Bridge at the state line is 55. Female WI State Trooper followed me into a truck stop on the Sconnie side and told me she clocked me at 70. Well, I was driving a '73 Beetle. That thing didn't DO 70. Needless to say I was not very polite. Stupid longhaired douche probably reeking of weed and cranking out some Black Flag on the stereo (which was worth more than the car, or course). Well she told me I had to pay the fine on the spot b/c I had an out of state license. Or she could take me to jail. On my birthday. All I had was an American Express card that my dad gave me for emergencies. The fine was probably $80. I probably had $12 cash. I handed her the card and she said "well, darnit we don't take American Express." Then she says "the speed limit here is 55, then 65 past mile marker so-and-so. I'm going to let you go because it's your birthday. Otherwise I'd be impounding your bubblegumbox and taking you to jail." Then she says "you've got a court date or 21 days to pay the fine. I will come to Minnesota on my day off and find you if you stiff me on this." :)

Speaking of stiff, she wasn't half bad looking and filled out that uniform nicely. 😎

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top