JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can anyone share experiences as to the best and most expedient locations to obtain an Oregon Concealed Weapon permit? I meet all requirements (adjacent state, have WA CWP, etc). Is there an office that's close to the WA border that will process if I show up with the necessary application information?

I've heard some are not very cooperative.

Any experiences would be appreciated.

John

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel! Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

I've gotten mine at the Multnomah Co Sherriff's office for probably 20 years now. Never had a problem but you need to check their website to see if they're even taking new out of state apps. Mine is up in April so I need to get over there with my paperwork soon.
General info: <broken link removed>
Handgun Application FAQ: <broken link removed>

OOPS!: They're only doing out of state for Clark Co residents right now.

Last Edited:
I am not sure about this year, but I had 2 friends get there ccw in Deschuttes county last year. One lived in Vancouver, the other in Yakima. They had no problems at all with the "red tape".

Shane

Last Edited:
I have had my Or permit for a couple of months now. Grant County is for all practical purposes shall issue and the Grant County Sheriff has come to the Puyallup gun shows to take apps. You might want to contact the Sheriff to see if he is coming again.

If you get a group together that want OR permits I have a name of a man who will come, teach the required class, take prints and photo, and submit to Grant County. PM me for name and number if interested.

Washington, Clackamas and Multnoma are not even excepting applications. If you are going that way my contact will meet you and take the app if you already have the class. That is how it worked for me. I had carried in OR when I lived there so I already had the class. He met me at the Gresham Post Office and took my picture, prints and app right there in about thirty minutes.

Scott -- Where did you get your information, expecially regarding Washington Co Oregon?

I've not seen that being the case.

From the FAQ at Concealed Handguns FAQ :

R) Can I apply for an Oregon license issued by Washington County if I live in another state?

A. Oregon law states that a sheriff may waive the residency requirement for a resident of a contiguous state that has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need. Washington County may consider your application if you live in a contiguous state, meet all the requirements, and write a letter stating a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need that exhibits a correlation to Washington County. Your statement must be submitted with your completed application.

UD

OP- have you taken a safety class as well? Regardless, don't expect to just show up to one of the Sherriffs offices in the PDX area and get your paperwork done. You'll need to make an appointment at least, if not mail in your application prior to that. I wouldn't doubt if they are a month or more out in setting appointments.
i know in Washington county, the people in the CHL unit are very helpful if you give them a call.

Last Edited:
Yeah you csn probably guess the closest offices are getting a lot of washington residents and if they are already busy/ back logged with in state residents they may oush yours off or just not except it at that time. A smaller office or county may be easier or faster.

You do need to go through the class first though. It's jst a waste of time/ money if you ask me. Mine consisted of an ex-LEO telling old cop stories (great guy though)
And asking us why we want to carry and that was about it.

I wouldn't waste your time until you have the card that says you took the class. It's not like washington.

Having said all that, I went through mult co in 2003 have been getting in renewed since then and never had a problem just going in during their schedule drop in open times.

I did a search of all the counties around Portland and none were taking non resident applications at the time. This was within the last six months. I contacted Kevin Starrett of OFF and he set me up with a friend authorized by Grant County Sheriff Glenn Palmer to take and submit applications. It was a LOT easier to go the way I went than to deal with and Portland area Counties. I called him up, he met me at the Gresham Post Office and I was done in thirty minutes. My permit was in the mail in about three weeks.

Sheriff Palmer also comes to the Puyallup gun shows as well av the Vancouver shows. If you want to go that way I would contact him and see when he will be there next. He is a good guy to deal with. he had no problem with my reason for wanting to carry being for self protection while visiting Oregon.

From another site I'm a member of:
Looks like Sheriff Dickerson will be in the Tacoma dome on April 26th to help out Washington folks who wish to apply for an Oregon CHL...

I personally made an appointment last September with Sheriff Palmer to get mine. I was told at that time there was a chance that Palmer wouldn't be around when my renewal comes due so I might have to go elsewhere.
I am in talks with the Sheriff Dickerson of the Columbia County Sheriff's Office in Oregon about doing a group gathering to get your CHL. They have a portable fingerprint machine and would be interested in setting up a meet to issue CHL's. I will be talking to Sheriff Dickerson the first week of March to see about setting this up.

FREE ONLINE TRAINING
https://dcfst.mpdconline.com

Cheap online Oregon Training
This online course goes beyond the minumum required by the state to satisfy the requiremnts for a CHL application. It includes a section on aspects of practical self-defense in addition to the legally required handgun safety component. The course takes about 40 minutes to complete. There are seven sections, covering handgun safety and practical self-defense. Concealed Carry Class

FYI - The MD Firearms Safety Training web site is no longer valid. The law changed in Maryland on Oct 1st 2013.

My idea is if all possible to get him to the Tacoma Dome Gun Show in April on the 26th. All the forms for getting your CHL are on his website.

Site: <broken link removed> ... &Itemid=53
CHL App: <broken link removed> ... _final.pdf
reference letter: <broken link removed> ... Letter.pdf
compelling reason letter: Hand written note
Cost: $65 new / $50 renewal (good for 4 years)

FREE ONLINE TRAINING
https://dcfst.mpdconline.com

I know the guy putting this together is asking for donations to cover the 3 tables at the show he has secured so don't stiff the host, toss him AT LEAST a Hamilton :s0155:

Last Edited:
For veterans, your DD-214 will cover the training requirement. the law states the 214 is good if it shows marksmanship training. Mine, after 20 years, didn't show any of my quals, but Multnomah County accepted it anyway.

Washington County was terrible when I tried applying about a year ago (when I worked in Oregon but Mult Co refused out of state apps). I submitted my application and the sheriff's office called me to verify my reasons to carry. Not only do I have many family members living there, but I was also an outside salesman for a wholesale company and I was required to travel all over the Portland Metro. He asked me if the company I worked for would allow me to carry, which they did. After explaining, in more detail, all this--the person on the phone said, "Well, I don't think that's compelling enough". Needless to say, I was pissed.

From the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Website

Concealed Handgun Licenses for Washington!
posted on March 05, 2014 by Lt Steve Alexander in Agency - General
The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office has reopened processing of new Concealed Handgun License (CHL) applications for all Washington State residents who have a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need to obtain an Oregon CHL.

The MCSO CHL Unit has reduced the large backlog that necessitated the temporary suspension of Washington State CHL applications last spring. New CHL application requests were reopened to Clark County, WA residents on January 21, 2014 and will now be open to all Washington State residents.

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office accepts Washington State resident applications in accordance with ORS 166.291 The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

In accordance with ORS 166.292 If the application for the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue and mail or otherwise deliver to the applicant at the address shown on the application, within 45 days of the application.

From the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Website

Concealed Handgun Licenses for Washington!
posted on March 05, 2014 by Lt Steve Alexander in Agency - General
The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office has reopened processing of new Concealed Handgun License (CHL) applications for all Washington State residents who have a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need to obtain an Oregon CHL.

The MCSO CHL Unit has reduced the large backlog that necessitated the temporary suspension of Washington State CHL applications last spring. New CHL application requests were reopened to Clark County, WA residents on January 21, 2014 and will now be open to all Washington State residents.

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office accepts Washington State resident applications in accordance with ORS 166.291 The county sheriff may waive the residency requirement in subsection (1)(c) of this section for a resident of a contiguous state who has a compelling business interest or other legitimate demonstrated need.

In accordance with ORS 166.292 If the application for the license is approved, the sheriff shall issue and mail or otherwise deliver to the applicant at the address shown on the application, within 45 days of the application.

Interesting.... I wonder what their requirements are.

Interesting.... I wonder what their requirements are.

Should be the standard application process. Mail it in and wait for them to schedule you an appointment. Go in get fingerprinted, have your photo taken and pay the fee. Take the exact amount in cash they were accepting cards and don't give change. Then wait for the card to show up in the mail. There is a lot of waiting though with MCSO. Out of state you have to present a letter stating your compelling reason, but that wasn't insurmountable. Between family and work they didn't question my reasons further.

The waiting was the hardest part.

There may be faster counties as some have seemed to indicate on this and other threads.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top