JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need to get around to acquiring a carry permit for Oregon, finally!
I live in the 'Couve so I'm looking for something in the PDX area.
Who would you recommend?
Cost is a pretty important factor.

Thanks

Edit: if the is the wrong place to post this, let me know where would be better.

Sorta the same question hariph..I live in the couve too...Need to get CHL for oregon..there is a Sherriff from Grant county oregon that comes here to Vancouver hazel dell area to issue permits..Not sure if multnomah county will just take your money and deny your application because they are not beholden to non residents...Just some thoughts I asked the same question i guess..

The question seems a little muddled to me. Are you asking for the least cost option to meet the handgun competency requirement or the most likely county to grant the permit? Mult Co does a class on Tue 6:30-9 for $40. http://www.mcso.us/public/concealed_handgun.htm

ORS 166.291 has several ways to prove handgun competency:
(A) Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(B) Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(C) Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(D) Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;

(E) Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;

(F) Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or

(G) Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course;

You can use this free online class if you don't want hands on training: MD Firearms Safety Training

If you want an acutal hands on training w/live fire then I would check out one of the board sponsors like OFA or Threat Dynamics.

As far as which county I would just go with Mult. They are used to people in Vancouver asking for a license and I don't see them turning down the revenue. If you want a 'sure thing' wait for Sheriff Palmer to come to town.

Hope that helps.

Well I guess I'm looking for recommendations for reliably acquiring a permit at a reasonable cost. I'm not made of money but, cheap won't work if the results are unsatisfactory.
There are various places that offer this service. I'm wondering if anybody on the Forum can speak from experience, places to go, or avoid.
Does any body have contact info on the Sheriff that comes up from Oregon?
I've been qualified in Oregon, among other places, as an armored car courier. But, that was 10-12 years ago.

I emailed Sherriff Palmer [email protected] yesterday and no reply yet.. I found it from one of his archived posts. I have no idea if Multnomah county gives out permits liberally at all. I have heard some counties take your money and then they say oh you don't have a compelling enough reason to get a permit.(do not own property in oregon, or you don't own a business). In Multnomah county you have to give 2 references and and need to write a letter to the Sheriff showing a compelling need. I have not figured out what reason to give yet, except i think I am gay and those hateful people who are criminals and thugs might want to hurt me. oh btw my wife might be gay too and so we are a nice gay couple needing lots of protection from straight criminals!

The costs for the license are the same ($65) no matter what county you apply through. They are defined in ORS 166.291. The variance in cost will come from how you provide proof of competency. The least cost would either be one of the items listed above or using the online class from MD Firearms Safety Training (free).

The letter doesn't need to be complex. State that you are a WA resident who spends time in OR. You've read and understood the relevant statutes ORS 161.209-166.229 and ask for the permit.

Frankly I doubt they even read the letters but that's just my guess.

1) Take the Multnomah Cty. class or basic handgun class from an NRA-qualified instructor.

2) download and fill out the application and send with or without payment. Await appointment instructions; will be set probably 3-6 weeks.

3) Go to the appointment for fingerprinting and headshot photo. Bring the certificate of instruction. They will process your application, and on approval, you will receive your card in the mail in approximately 3-6 weeks.

Just go over to Multnomah County and apply for your permit. I have never known a single friend of mine to be turned down.

That's what I've heard as well. Some counties won't process an app from a non-resident but many that do treat them similarly to a resident app. They just don't have the legal obligation to do so.

You've got to have your class first (I took mine at Fisherman's in Delta Park), then simply download the form from the Multnomah County website and fill it out. Fax it with a copy of your certificate from the class and a letter stating compelling reason why you need an out of state CHL (simply state, "I am a current CHL holder in Washington state, I travel into Oregon on a regular basis for business and recreation, and seek the ability to carry legally within Oregon as well.") They mail you back an appointment card with a date/time to go to the sheriff's office to pay the fee, get fingerprinted and photographed. Show up on that day and 15 minutes later you're out the door (with a lighter wallet). Then wait for it in the mail - about 4 weeks.

At least that's what the process was last year for mine. No questions, no BS. The instructor at FM actually recommended Multnomah, stating that the current sheriff has been very amicable to issuing CHL.

Thanks LCB, I was planning a trip to Grant County, don't think I'll bother now.

Yeah - other than the class and the actual trip to the sheriff's office for prints and photo, there isn't anything that you need to leave the comfort of your home for! And for the class, I know there are places north of the state line that offer the Oregon class as well. It was just convenient for me to hit the one at Delta Park. Check with Wholesale Sports and some other places - you might even be able to get the class in your area ahead of time.

I've had an OR permit for close to 20 years now, no trouble getting it or renewing. I took the required course right at the Multnomah Sheriff's office. Think it cost me about $35.

My 2 bits worth. I did the class just because it included all the forms being filled out in class and i got a pretty piece of paper that says I did OR CHL class.
Columbia County is where I went last week. Digital fingerprinting, friendly staff. R/T from Port Orchard WA and back less then 4 hours. Cost 75.00 , the extra ten is for WA residents processing.

I have a resident OR CHL (live in multnomah county) and was surprised at how easy the process was (compared to when I lived in UT and got my CHL there...). I wasn't sure if I could stomach sitting through the class (I instructed firearm training in UT for armed guards at military sites) so I did it online through American Firearms Training. I was a little hesitant with them accepting an online certificate but with AFT's money back-guarantee I figured what the heck. No problems at all with the online certificate.

You mentioned money is a big factor - the online class was $50 but the fact that I could take it on my own schedule and didn't have to drive somewhere and sit through the class it was well worth the additional cost to me.

FWIW - I received my resident CHL in about 2 weeks.

You mentioned money is a big factor - the online class was $50 but the fact that I could take it on my own schedule and didn't have to drive somewhere and sit through the class it was well worth the additional cost to me.

That is very expensive for an online course (IMHO).
There are cheaper alternatives, e.g. Online Concealed Carry Class

Disclaimer: That is my website, so this isn't a recommendation, its just information ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top