JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The same laws exist in other western states as well. About a year ago I've heard of a Utah carwash that got in trouble because they were collecting water from their gutters so they coul use it for the washing of cars. It was howevef resolved in a way that they were allowed to continue. I don't remember any more details.
Nevada also has similiar laws.
A few years ago there was talk that in Seattle you would need a permit to collect rain water from your roof.

I hope Idaho does not have those ignorant laws, that is where I am wantong to move too.

What the heck though, a person collecting rain water to use for garden or washing cars,instead using the up water for low wells that are drying up, where is the logic in all this. maybe we should cutting the legislators sizes and pay, and making the recall process a lot easier

All states have these laws, and they're especially keen on them in western states. It's not just states, it's federal too. It goes further with international disputes over water rights. We fight with Canada over the Columbia, and Mexico over the Colorado and Rio Grande (among others). I wasn't kidding about water being for fightin'. You can get into a deep mess if you start screwing around with water rights.

Not an ignorant law, and I can guarantee you Idaho has them as well. Try being the farmer next to him that has legal water rights and not having enough water in your legal resevoir to grow the hay you need to feed your cattle over the winter. Or the guy downstream who loses his house and barn to a flood when nutria turn the dam into swiss cheese.

If you are in a rural area, you can get approval for these kinds of things if you play nice. I did. You just offer up your pond as a water source in the event of a fire. They really don't care if it's stocked with bass after that. :)

From what I read, it wasn't like this guy was gathering rain water from his roof to water his garden, which BTW is legal in OR, he had either constructed dams to hold runoff water on his property, or even if they were there when he purchased the property, and had failed to permanently remove them when ordered to do so. He then stocked them with fish.

I'm not saying I agree with the law, but he knew what the law was and chose to violate it. Sucks to be him!

From what I read, it wasn't like this guy was gathering rain water from his roof to water his garden, which BTW is legal in OR, he had either constructed dams to hold runoff water on his property, or even if they were there when he purchased the property, and had failed to permanently remove them when ordered to do so. He then stocked them with fish.

I'm not saying I agree with the law, but he knew what the law was and chose to violate it. Sucks to be him!

You are correct! The "Rainwater" is his story. What he has are illegal dams in a watershed across his property. He built them without permits several years ago after he was refused permits. He has been warned repeatedly to remove them. That watershed supplies part of the domestic water for the Rogue Valley and my personal shower. :)

You are correct! The "Rainwater" is his story. What he has are illegal dams in a watershed across his property. He built them without permits several years ago after he was refused permits. He has been warned repeatedly to remove them. That watershed supplies part of the domestic water for the Rogue Valley and my personal shower. :)

So are you saying that because of his dams you haven't showered in years? To much information Varmit! Too much information! :s0114:

Well the way I see it if a person want to build a pond ontheir property to collect rain water then its none of their business, it's his property. if he channel runoff from his gutters it is his business. If a town has that much of problem getting water then maybe should regulate the size of the town or waste of water by people watering their lawns, oh wait we cannot do that because they are city dwellers and pay the town a feee for the water where this guy is getting it for free. I bet if he had an uncovered pool that allows it to evaporate into the atmosphere or a sprinkler system and got his water at a fee from the city if would be good, eh

I wonder if I get rained on in Washington and then travel to Oregon with a wet coat, could I be arrested for trafficking?:s0112:

Even growin up in da South dey learnt us bout dem 'riparian rights' and hows you folks out west dont be havin lotta wata to go round so you caint just up and stop it anywheres you wants like we did back East. Dem laws from way befour Marx invented komyounism when it wuz dee wild west and you needed water four horses and cows.

It was just a tiny dam Your Honor!

<broken link removed>

Harrington stored and used water illegally by placing dams across channels on his property and preventing the flow of water out of these artificial reservoirs without obtaining a water right permit. The height of each dam varies; two dams stand about ten feet tall and the third stands about 20 feet tall. The total amount of water collected behind these dams totals about 40 acre feet; enough to fill almost 20 Olympic-sized swimming pools. These man-made reservoirs feature boat docks, boats, and were stocked by Harrington with trout and Bluegill for recreational fishing.

The state first identified Harrington&rsquo;s illegal water use more than ten years ago and initiated enforcement action to discontinue his illegal use of water. After numerous attempts by OWRD and the Watermaster to achieve voluntary compliance, the Department enlisted the assistance of the Oregon State Police in 2002. Citations were issued, and Harrington pleaded guilty to several violations. He was assessed a nominal fine and ordered to drain the three reservoirs, which he did. However, Harrington again closed the headgates in 2004 and refilled the reservoirs. As a result, OWRD and the Oregon State Police submitted reports to the Jackson County District Attorney&rsquo;s Office alleging additional violations of Oregon water law. That office filed misdemeanor charges against Harrington, and in 2008 he pled guilty to one count. He was issued another fine, placed on one year probation, and was again ordered to drain the reservoirs.

According to testimony in the most recent trial, the day after Harrington&rsquo;s probation expired, he again closed the outlet valves and refilled the reservoirs. The District Attorney&rsquo;s Office enlisted the help of the Oregon Department of Justice, charges were once again filed in Jackson County Circuit Court, and on July 11, 2012, a jury found Harrington guilty of all nine counts.

My grandpa has PAID for water rights from a natural artesian well that flows through another persons property and originates on public land. This other gentleman has dammed off his water and prevented us from filling duck ponds and watering corn.

We have taken him to court for YEARS and have injunctions against him and he keeps damming up the water. This guy should go to jail.

Like it is said: Whiskey is for drinking and water for fighting.

This is what happens when you live in the USSA... gotta love the fascist gobbment. Just imagine how bad they would nail us to the wall if we didn't own guns, and that is why they want our guns boys and girls. We are in the woods at night by the camp fire and we see the red eyes glowing in the dark.... the only reason why they are not eating us alive is because we are armed and if they try to attack us, they won't like the outcome.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top