JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just saw that on another site, Going to jail for operating a camera on your private property? Seems like something I would expect out of North Korea....

There are apps that will let you record straight onto a remote server (like the cloud).

I would highly recommend everyone look into it if you ever plan on being the filmer. Your phone won't make it to trial the way you left it.

In Oregon, you may not film an officer without their consent. Because of Oregon's ban on eavesdropping, it's technically illegal to film police if the video would pick up a conversation without the officer's permission. It is a violation of Oregon's wiretapping laws.

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/165.540

If you don't think that's all that kosher, several bills aimed at changing this law have been defeated.

In Oregon, you may not film an officer without their consent. Because of Oregon's ban on eavesdropping, it's technically illegal to film police if the video would pick up a conversation without the officer's permission. It is a violation of Oregon's wiretapping laws.

If you don't think that's all that kosher, several bills aimed at changing this law have been defeated.

Whoa...I had no idea Oregon sucked that bad. Glad I turned down that offer to work for PGE.

So they can film and record us, but we cannot film/record them?

I still record officers if I am pulled over or confronted in any way. I don't care. I will still cover my bases, just like I will carry concealed in business that say I cannot.

He wasn't arrested for the act of recording the raid, was was arrested "interfering" with a police operation. Which was probably a slimy cop trick to end his recording of the operation.

The above ORS does not apply to a person who is NOT surreptitiously recording the police, i.e. you're standing there with your camera, smart phone, or iPad right there out in the open recording an incident.

Also, it is established case law that no one, not even the police have an expectation to privacy in a place open to the general public.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, it is established case law that no one, not even the police have an expectation to privacy in a place open to the general public.

That's how we see it up here. Public places and no reasonable expectation of privacy with loud conversations and a group of people negate so-called two party consent and electronic interception of private conversations.

As they say YMMV. I have no problem submitting surveillance video with an audio track as evidence IF the recording was made in a public place.

The way I read ORS 165.540, and apparently darn near every open carry Oregon video posted on YouTube, is that all parties have to be informed of audio recording NOT that they have to consent to it. You have no expectation of privacy in a public place.

Now if the officers would have lead with the go inside for your own safety instead of that interfering BS it may have gone better.

Filming police in public is absolutely legal...you do not need consent in Oregon when in public....and you don't need to inform them

Wrong.

Did you even read the link? :s0037:

No doubt this guy has a possible case against the police. Cant they be taught to handle things like this better, obviously not. This is why the Federal Guberment had to over see changes in Portland PD dept.
That's like having Col. Sanders guard the chicken coop isn't it?
Al Capone enforcing prohibition? IRS tax law?
Ray Rice writing domestic abuse policies?

I could go on, but I'm sure some of us get the gist.

Filming police in public is absolutely legal...you do not need consent in Oregon when in public....and you don't need to inform them

This is partially correct, if you have a hidden camera, and you do not inform the other party that the conversation is being recorded, then you are violating ORS 165.540(1)(C)

1) Except as otherwise provided in ORS 133.724 (Order for interception of communications) or 133.726 (Interception of oral communication without order) or subsections (2) to (7) of this section, a person may not:

C) Obtain or attempt to obtain the whole or any part of a conversation by means of any device, contrivance, machine or apparatus, whether electrical, mechanical, manual or otherwise, if not all participants in the conversation are specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained.

However, if the individual was standing on his porch, and the police specifically told him to stop recording, then it would be assumed that the police were aware that they were being recorded, in which case, satisfying the notification of all parties involved. The individual will win against the Gresham Police Department and will cost the taxpayers tens of thousands of dollars. It's a shame that the police are unaware of the laws that they are supposed to be upholding.

Last Edited:
That's like having Col. Sanders guard the chicken coop isn't it?
Al Capone enforcing prohibition? IRS tax law?
Ray Rice writing domestic abuse policies?

I could go on, but I'm sure some of us get the gist.
Not sure if I do, but we do have buttons that tell other buttons what to do! That is of course if the other buttons do not perform their own buttoning function in according with BUTTON LAW!

I just think its ridiculous that a non-targeted, maybe by stander was ASSUALTED for using a picture phone, come on there is members here of the law enforcement community? Lets here from you uninvolved LE members and tell us what you think.

This applies to audio recordings - If you want to record a conversation you must advise the other party that the conversation is being recorded - it has nothing to do with video recording a police officer - that is not illegal in Oregon and you cannot be prosecuted for it. It is only if you want to audio record anyone -including a police officer-

This applies to audio recordings - If you want to record a conversation you must advise the other party that the conversation is being recorded - it has nothing to do with video recording a police officer - that is not illegal in Oregon and you cannot be prosecuted for it. It is only if you want to audio record anyone -including a police officer-

My response is SEVERAL federal court rulings which say ANYTHING a public official does is subject to recording.

They have ZERO right to privacy.

That any lower court at this point would enforce such blatantly unconstitutional measures says rather a lot about the court. Sure as Hell, you'll find the liberals siding with the cops, every time.

No, if you actually read the law all it effectively says is that both parties need to be aware that a person is recording a telecom "Conversation."

It says nothing of recording actions that are not a "conversation." So, he is good up unto the point at which he is recording a "conversation."

Further, you need not consent, they just need to "be specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained."

Further he wasn't arrested for Obtaining contents of communications.

He was arrested for "interfering with a public official."

This is not to say that I think that filming an officers actions is actually "Interfering with a public official."

Special thanks to Salv3nt for beating me to the punch and actually reading the law instead of just pulling it out of your bubblegum.

Eagle

The law specifically states that you may not record audio. If your video camera records audio, you are breaking the law if you do notify all parties involved. The laws are archaic, and need to be updated, but the lawmakers like Burdick and Greenlich would prefer to wage a war with gun owners.

Arresting him for interfering with a police officer is on par with arresting a guy open carrying for disturbance of the peace.

In such situations, don't go outside.

A LEO can hardly arrest you for interfering if you stay inside.

Better yet, don't be seen.

Then call the local TV news stations and ask them if they want a vid of the cop doing something wrong (assuming that is what you are recording).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top