JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Some of them probably. But the ones I personally know are just really really really into getting exercise.
Oh, I understand. Heck I used to be a avid cyclist myself (hi speed, low drag skinny tired racers)

My point is certain activities tend to 'align' with certain lifestyles & beliefs and become somewhat 'synonymous' with them as cycling has in some circles.

However on the extreme end there are those who think they are 'superior' examples of whatever activity they are pursuing, buy the most expensive item(s) of their pursuit and approach it almost in a radical, religious-like manner and By Gawd! Nobody had ever get in my way or they are going to get yelled at and get the 'finger' !!!!!

What their middle finger needs is a hand squeeze plastic pipe cutter applied to it.

With Oregon apparently hot on the heals to be as unconstitutional as California, if you don't own a home here yet, and you enjoy the concept of 2A rights, especially concealed carry, is there any reason to try and stay anymore? Or should we all pack up, give em the bird, and head to Idaho?

Referring to bills like SB 554, and others organizations like OFF are tracking.

Maybe they're making the issue seem more dire/hopeless than it really is? Seems difficult to get unbiased perspectives these days.

If you can go to a gun friendly state, why not? If the Oregon legislature doesn't screw over gun owners, the anti-gun nutbags will get a ballot initiative to do it, so it's only a matter of time before we are California or worse. If you think you could put up with California-like rules, then staying in Oregon/Washington may be OK.

If you can go to a gun friendly state, why not?
But what are you potentially giving up to move to a different state because it's maybe more 'gun friendly' ?

Like I said before I would never trade in the freedom of public land I have lived around and loved all my life to go somewhere that might be a little more 'gun friendly' - yet with no public land to enjoy.

Oregon is not as entirely gun - UNfriendly as many like to think it is.

I once read a comparison between TX and OR gun and gun-related laws and in an odd way OR got the nod for actually being a notch or two above TX ALL things considered.

But what are you potentially giving up to move to a different state because it's maybe more 'gun friendly' ?

Like I said before I would never trade in the freedom of public land I have lived around and loved all my life to go somewhere that might be a little more 'gun friendly' - yet with no public land to enjoy.

Oregon is not as entirely gun - UNfriendly as many like to think it is.

I once read a comparison between TX and OR gun and gun-related laws and in an odd way OR got the nod for actually being a notch or two above TX ALL things considered.
I'd like to see how they came up with those findings, sounds pretty suspect on the get go.

I'd like to see how they came up with those findings, sounds pretty suspect on the get go.
There was nothing 'suspect' about it - It wasn't a 'criminal investigation'.

It was nothing more than an informal comparison of gun laws and other considerations that compared the two states and showed they are not necessarily dissimilar - but when you add the dramatically greater percentage of public land in Oregon over that of Texas it put Oregon in the positive category.

I moved from Kalifornia to Oregon about nine years ago because I couldn't stand the place, it just wasn't America anymore.

I would have preferred to move to Idaho, but my wife was enamored with Grants Pass.
She had been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's and I wanted her to be happy for as long as possible, so we moved about a half an hour out of town.
I cared for her here in this house, her ashes are here and I'm not leaving.

I ran from tyranny once, I'm not doing it again.

We really dont have a problem here other than the holdover no open carry from the Jim Crow days. Full NFA. No restrictions on FTF sales. Shall issue permits etc.

There was nothing 'suspect' about it - It wasn't a 'criminal investigation'.

It was nothing more than an informal comparison of gun laws and other considerations that compared the two states and showed they are not necessarily dissimilar - but when you add the dramatically greater percentage of public land in Oregon over that of Texas it put Oregon in the positive category.
I didn't realize your were meaning specifically due to the public lands, that is nice. But if you live anywhere near most cities, "open carry" isn't even a thing, unless you have your CHL, and it seems like they're trying to kill that dead too. I'm not familiar with Texas laws, but having "open carry" here meaning magazine not inserted, AND magazine not loaded if you're anywhere near Portland, I'd say, for now at least I'd prefer Texas' laws. The public land here is great though, unless that becomes part of the "public places" you may not be able to use your CHL if law makers get their way. Then that won't matter much either. Seems like they're trying to make gun owners nothing more than "collectors," everything nice and neat in the gun safe at home, or else you're a felon.

but having "open carry" here meaning magazine not inserted, AND magazine not loaded if you're anywhere near Portland,
And all those 'open carrying' in Portland during the riots in Portland had mags NOT inserted or loaded while carrying? Not from what I saw or like it mattered.

The public land here is great though, unless that becomes part of the "public places" you may not be able to use your CHL if law makers get their way.
No one needs to 'Use' a CHL (or have one) to OPENLY carry on public land in Oregon. So am I missing something? Do the 'lawmakers' currently have any legislation to 'get their way' ?
I'm not familiar with Texas laws,
I'd say, for now at least I'd prefer Texas' laws.
So you are NOT familiar with TX laws but then say you prefer them?

How can you 'prefer' them if you are not FAMILIAR with them?

Last Edited:
TO MANY PEOPLE !
71676c38bc40943ec4bb824393213557.jpeg.jpg the rona

And all those 'open carrying' in Portland during the riots in Portland had mags NOT inserted or loaded while carrying? Not from what I saw or like it mattered.

No one needs to 'Use' a CHL (or have one) to OPENLY carry on public land in Oregon. So am I missing something? Do the 'lawmakers' currently have any legislation to 'get their way' ?

So you are NOT familiar with TX laws but then say you prefer them?

How can you 'prefer' them if you are not FAMILIAR with them?
Our laws here suck, for open carry, period. If you saw loaded weapons in Portland, those were likely CHL holders, as those are, so far, exempt from other "open carry" restrictions. From my zero understanding of actual Texas law, I've heard it's better there. And YES, here they're trying to limit where CHL holders can carry, SB 554, among other bills being proposed. As I stated in my original post. Excluding CHLs carriers from "public places" loosely defined, probably for ease of policing/prosecuting.

Our laws here suck, for open carry, period.
Period? Maybe for you in Salem but where I live I open carry nearly daily, as a LOT of people do as well.

If you saw loaded weapons in Portland, those were likely CHL holders,
Yea, right. From the images I saw on TV (I was not there personally) I saw ANTIFA types, goofy looking anti establishment types, and all manner of idiotic, looking dumb azzes CARRYING with mags inserted - And I HIGHLY suspect most were NOT CHL holders. Most looked too stupid to have a driver's license let alone a CHL.

Period? Maybe for you in Salem but where I live I open carry nearly daily, as a LOT of people do as well.

Yea, right. From the images I saw on TV (I was not there personally) I saw ANTIFA types, goofy looking anti establishment types, and all manner of idiotic, looking dumb azzes CARRYING with mags inserted - And I HIGHLY suspect most were NOT CHL holders. Most looked too stupid to have a driver's license let alone a CHL.
The fact that Oregon has allowed separate municipalities to make their own regulations and thus take away basic "open carry" for most counties with larger towns or cities SUCKS period. Just because you live where it doesn't affect you, doesn't mean the laws as a whole don't suck. I'd like to be able to exercise my rights legally throughout my state. And I'm surprised any ANTIFA had any guns at all, I thought they were against those, and the police weren't allowed to do their jobs during that anyways, so I wouldn't count that scenario as upstanding citizens trying to lawfully exercise their rights.

The fact that Oregon has allowed separate municipalities to make their own regulations and thus take away basic "open carry" for most counties with larger towns or cities SUCKS period.
I agree completely and appreciate your rational, and non argumentive responses to all we have discussed.

While I am a VERY open minded individual I will say there are things I simply do NOT agree with, and have never agreed with throughout my life.

A good example is When I see stupidity expressed on any level and the best example for ME was as a kid in the late 60's early 70's and had to experience the 'hippy' movement.

I remember seeing EVERYTHING that went along with it - the dress, the stupid ideas, smelling the pot, and I HATED all of it - and unfortunately I still have to 'endure' some of it with people I know who were 'active' in it at the time.

Heck, I was pretty 'conservative' at the time and even at my young age I remember arguing political issues with radical libs at the time.

Even though I still communicate with some of these people I have never 'caved' and some of them still sound like they did 50 years ago.

Last Edited:
I agree completely and appreciate your rational, and non argumentive responses to all we have discussed.

While I am a VERY open minded individual I will say there are things I simply do NOT agree with, and have never agreed with throughout my life.

A good example is When I see stupidity expressed on any level and the best example for ME was as a kid in the late 60's early 70's and had to experience the 'hippy' movement.

I remember seeing EVERYTHING that went along with it - the dress, the stupid ideas, smelling the pot, and I HATED all of it - and unfortunately I still have to 'endure' some of it with people I know who were 'active' in it at the time.

Heck, I was pretty 'conservative' at the time and even at my young age I remember arguing political issues with radical libs at the time.

Even though I still communicate with some of these people I have never 'caved' and some of them still sound like they did 50 years ago.
I was serious when I said I'd love to see whatever it was that you read that came to it's conclusion, my only issue with it has been that unless you have a CHL, you for the most part don't have 2A carry rights that make sense in any actual situation you'd need to exercise it, in the greater metropolitan areas of Oregon. Our current system, and the direction they seem to be going is to favor the criminal over the citizen, which, since they apparently want more control, that unfortunately makes a lot of sense. I haven't meant to be argumentative, just saying I'm skeptical with their findings WITHOUT even knowing Texas' laws, due to ours being so backwards currently. If you still have access to what you read, I'd love a link or something to take a look at it. There's always going to be things I don't know and if I've missed an angle of how it is positive here (unless it's just the public lands part, as we've already covered that) I would be interested to know! Thanks for discussing with me, I'm sorry if I came across wrong, I didn't mean any offense.

I've lived in the NW all my life and I can't think of a single time I haven't been able to do the following when I've wanted to:

1) Buy a firearm
2) Buy a firearm accessory
3) Buy ammunition
4) Go to the range
5) Carry concealed

I understand there are "free states" out there, but until the day actually comes that I can't do something I wanted to do, I don't see a need to move.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top