Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon license holders privacy in peril

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Joe Link, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Original alert here --> http://oregonfirearms.org/alertspage/12.10.08 Alert.html

2. fingolfen

fingolfen Oregon Member

Yet another "confuse and split" fake group out there... great... We should sue some of the butts and let them have a taste of some real justice for once...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2008
  3. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

Has anyone actually been part of this group or know anything about them really?

I'm just puzzled by this type of group. Just doesn't seem right.

M

4. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

this is the type of group rosie odonald and nancy peloski woud join.

5. skud_dusty

skud_dusty Salem, OR Active Member

Just sent an email to the Polk country sheriff to see what he thinks of all of this. I'll pass his response along once (if) I receive it.

6. watchman

watchman SW Portland Active Member

I just renewed my Multnomah County CWP yesterday. The nice clerk at the sheriffs office handed me a new form to fill out that basically states the reasons why they should not have to give up the names or personal information of permit holders. They plan to compile these forms as part of their denial to outfits like Oregon Gun Owners or their lawyers requests that the information be made public. The Multnomah County Sheriffs Office has assured me that they will deny such requests. If you hold a Multnomah Co. CWP, I would strongly urge you to obtain said form from the sheriffs office and fill it out asap. They told me it was a brand new thing, so lets all help support their position!

7. ZeroRing

ZeroRing 26th District, WA Active Member

I'm not in Oregon but maybe you could ask them if they have the form online or if they have a PDF available for submittal via email?? If neither, maybe they would grant permission for you to make a PDF and post it here??

:twocents:

8. robctwo

robctwo rural North Albany Member

I read about a new form used by the Benton County Sheriff and stopped by the other day. Simple reregistration with a privacy request based upon my use of the gun for personal protection. No charge.

9. ZeroRing

Reregistration? So then registration is required and this reregistration has a second component dealing with the privacy request?

Seems like the "privacy" part shouldn't have to be "requested". But I suppose it's at least good that you can specifically TELL them to keep your information private.

10. BUZO71

BUZO71 Emerald Valley, Oregon New Member

This may be one thing the sheriff got right actually. Remember, information is public under the state law. This is what the Sheriff is trying to help us, the citizens, out with. If you don't want you information given freely, re-register and simply check the box.

The sheriff doesn't have to do this. Much like other Sheriffs don't have to report to ICE when they arrest illegal aliens. I think police, like the rest of us, want to see the right thing done. I think the individual sheriffs realize this state leans far to the left and is out of whack. I'm glad to see someone taking the needed steps to try and protect us. Lets see if it works.

11. ZeroRing

Amen to that! :thumbup:

12. watchman

watchman SW Portland Active Member

The new form at Mult. Co. Sherrifs office already has pre-listed several different reasons why we, the CWP holders, might want to exclude our info from the general public, along with boxes you can check to show you agree with these reasons. there is also an open section to add to those reasons. While there are many good reasons not to want this information made public, probably the best reason is that many people foolishly give their Social Security number on their CWP application. This is both unwise and unnecessary since it is optional . If your information is made available to the public, any scumbag out there will have everything he needs to steal your identity!

13. ZeroRing

Very good reason why on ANY form you are asked to fill out you should REFUSE to provide your SSI number (even IF they "say" it's required)!

Insist that they tell you why they want it and cite which law or regulation they are basing their "requirement" on. If it's a private company (and even some gov't agencies) politely tell them you are not required to give it out just because they request it. If they insist, take your business elsewhere.

For more info see: http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs10-ssn.htm#10

14. Deavis

Deavis Mid Willamette Valley Active Member

Linn County Sheriff Mueller mailed privacy forms to all permittees in Linn County for them to check and return. He was lauded in this this county for it. In addition to being a vet, and the chief LEO in Linn Co. he is a member of the NRA..... doesn't get much better than that.