JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't let your guard down yet, but it's a start.

Oregon lawmakers drop attempt to ban the sale of assault weapons and of high-capacity gun clips | OregonLive.com

SALEM-Highly publicized bills that would ban the sale of high-capacity gun magazines as well as semi-automatic miltary-style rifles now appear to be off the table at the Oregon Legislature.
Sen. Ginny Burdick, D-Portland, said Wednesday that she is backing off an attempt to push through a bill on gun clips that she drafted following the December shootings at the Clackamas Mall.

House Judiciary Chairman Floyd Prozanski, D-Eugene, who is another key figure in the gun-control debate, said he doesn't plan to take up Burdick's legislation or another bill in the House that would bar the sale of semi-automatic military-style rifles often known as assault weapons.

"I personally think that the high-capacity magazines and semi-automatic weapon issues need to be done at the federal level," said Prozanski.

However, Burdick and Prozanski said they are adding another item to their gun-control agenda: a bill that would largely prohibit people from bringing guns into the Capitol.

Prozanski said concern grew about guns in the Capitol during a recent gun-rights rally across the street from the building. Several participants wore semi-automatic rifles slung across their back and some of them came inside the Capitol with their weapons.

Under current Oregon law, they are allowed to do that if they possess a concealed handgun license.

Prozanski said some groups canceled visits to the Capitol because they didn't want to be there at the same time as the gun-rights activists.

"This is a a place where everyone should be welcomed and have the right to come into the building and not fear for their safety," he said.

Prozanski and Burdick said they expected to move forward with four bills dealing with the gun issue. They would:

--Ban guns in the Capitol. Under the measure, Prozanski said, those with a concealed handgun license could still bring a gun into the building with the permission of the legislative administrator or law enforcement.

--Expand background checks to also cover private sales and transfers between individuals. There would be an exemption for sales or transfers between immediate family members.

--Ban concealed handgun licensees from carrying guns onto school grounds. However school districts would be able to opt out of the ban under the measure.

--Require live-fire training to obtain a concealed handgun license. Prozanski said most courses for the license already require this training.

Prozanski said he expected to begin committee work on the bills in about a month.

--Jeff Mapes

Yes, a good sign. Something actually going our way. I don't think it has anything to do with insider information. The House won't pass any legistation to ban assault rifles. May not even pass the (D) controlled senate. The (D) senators in red states know they will take a beating next election if they do vote for a ban. Maybe a little "common sense" is getting to them.. haha..

Is there a point to banning guns in the capital? The place was filled with people carrying firearms legally and nothing bad happened. From what I read it was business as usual.

Its almost like how people behave with superstitions. Its hard to understand the thought process.

We all know that If someone wants to go in and shoot up the capital they would do it regardless of the laws. But they still want to make a law. Almost like they are knocking on wood or throwing salt over their shoulder. It does absolutely nothing to improve safety but they still have a strong desire to do it. Interesting from a human behavior point of view, mild numbingly illogical from every other point of view.

SB347 is still there. It's the one with Burdick trying to turn schools into killing zones. She's also going after UBC. I'm not sure if she can get it into this session though.

SB347 is still there. It's the one with Burdick trying to turn schools into killing zones. She's also going after UBC. I'm not sure if she can get it into this session though.

Those are my concerns for us here in Oregon. I walk my daughter to and from school almost daily, and when I leave her in the morning, I always have that sinking feeling in my stomach, knowing she is less safe than before I dropped her off. It is a really awful feeling to have several days a week.

"I personally think that the high-capacity magazines and semi-automatic weapon issues need to be done at the federal level," said Prozanski.

With Obwan and his new super pac bankrolling this it just might pass in the future, maybe not now, maybe not in 5 years but still........

It's far from over. They still want to change and add other laws. Forcing private sales to go through background checks is another one we have to fight as well.

i wonder if they are backing off because they have insider knowledge to a federal ban and dont want there names tarnished even though they already are?

I concur! We need to keep writing these clowns. I've done all the links posted here and individual E-mailings as well. Don't let up your guard with these tricky b@$%@^ds!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top