JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This class is only $150. Add your BG Check $10 plus $65 PTP fee and that will probably double the cost of that budget Taurus pistol you buy at Bimart

Big Kudos to Ken Kestner, it would be great to see many similiar letters sent out to all of Oregon's media outlets, social media and the like. These IPs are going to sneak by residents who may have otherwised voted against them if they had been made aware of what havoc these IPs will create.

subscription required, can't read the article

subscription required, can't read the article
Weird it is available without subscription on mobile. Here is text.

Op-Ed: 2nd Amendment Rights, Initiative Petitions for 2022 Ballot

Second Amendment: "… the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Underlining added. The word "shall" carries meaning of mandated! There are varying and drawn-out court interpretations that address this subject. Underlying emphasis by some is 'self-defense'. I agree, in the context stated below.
We need not be complacent; not domestically complacent. History shows that complacency can and occasionally does lead to future control by others in positions of political power. Our Constitution and Amendments set the framework for our national rights and freedom. As Americans, we have an oath stating support and defense of the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC. We tend to focus on 'foreign'; less on 'domestic'.
The mention of domestic is all-encompassing, equally strong as the word foreign. Domestic self-defense spans beyond self and home. Domestic self-defense spans community, country, and right of freedom. Domestic self-defense spans time, for future of our great-grandkids and beyond. Domestic self-defense encompasses defending our constitution, its amendments, and rights given therein, regardless of which state we live in. As a nation, beware of others' motives within our own domestic ranks and potential consequences.

In Oregon, Initiative Petitions (IP) 2022-017 and 2022-018 are on the streets for Oregonian signatures to be placed on next year's (2022) November voting ballot. The IPs address "assault" firearms (rifles and pistols), ammo magazine capacity, customized features, extensive permitting procedures and state recording database, penalties, disposal of firearms and magazines, etc. Both IPs would add to existing state laws related to firearms. IP 017, Reduction of Gun Violence Act, would add to, amend Oregon Revised Statutes (ORS) 166.250 to 166.470. IP 018, Reduction of Harm from Weapons Act, would add to, amend ORS 166.210 to 166.490. Additions are in boldfaced type.
To view the full text of the petitions and make your own assessments before November 8, 2022, search: IRR Database available at www.oregonvotes.gov , or Google each petition, or request copies from our state representatives. To each, there might be good points and less than good points in both petitions. The two IPs are State of Oregon focused and do not mention the 2nd Amendment of our Constitution. We need not be complacent. IPs 017 and 018 could affect not just today, but incrementally our future generations. Today is only an incremental stepping stone toward tomorrow, the future of our kids, grandkids, great-grandkids.
Under auspices of the "Lift Every Voice Oregon" organization, chief petitioners are of Portland, OR. Petitioner Rabbi Michael Cahana of Congregation Beth Israel is quoted: "We recognize that there are perfectly legitimate uses of guns for self-protection and hunting that makes a lot of sense. But assault weapons are not used for either of these purposes. Many of these weapons exist only for killing and do not belong in civilian hands." NOTE: "...not ... in civilian hands." Interesting that the IPs overly re-enforce exceptions for law enforcement and military, both which I respect.

Metro areas should take responsibility to address their underlying social and behavioral factors that lead to gun violence. Removing certain firearms does not address and remove the underlying social and behavioral factors.
One vast sweep of full gun control is not in the near future of our nation. Incremental "step-by-step" domestic gun control measures is the concern! IPs 017 and 018 need to be honestly and diligently scrutinized. Don't be complacent. Be domestically aware, informed, and involved. Today is an incremental stepping stone toward tomorrow, the future. Communicate with your state legislative representatives.
"Shot heard around the world" for freedom would never have been quoted in 1775 if our founding Civilian militias held inferior firearms compared to the firearms of the then-ruling British Empire.
-Ken Kestner

1638547840402.png

Last Edited:
Enough of being a wet blanket on this party. There are some positive aspects of IP17 & 18 including:

Firearm training companies that offer live fire training should see a huge increase in business from customers wanting to get a permit to purchase.

Prices of compliant firearms should rise which will be good for those selling them.

Prices of banned firearms will be unsaleable in Oregon and FFLs will be able to pick them up cheap and sell for a greater profit to buyers in free states. Private sellers could do this as well if they wish to deal with out of state buyers.

Stakeholders in Gunbroker should see a boost from Oregon sellers trying to sell their banned firearms to buyers in free states.

Background checks will eventually ease since many buyers will be less likely to make a purchase so they don't have to get a permit to purchase.

Pawn shops will be able to make bigger profits on some firearm loans. When a buyer shows up to repay their loan and collect their firearm they will be disappointed to find out they need a permit to purchase to pick up their own firearm. Since the process to get a permit to purchase will take weeks or months and cost potentially more than the firearm is worth they may abandon the firearm. That will be a benefit to the pawn shop who can now sell the firearm.

Parts perceived as being illegal to sell to Oregonians will become more valuable so local sellers that have these parts can get more money when they sell them.

There are probably others who will benefit from passage of IP17 and IP18 but those are a few that initially come to mind.

Edit: If the Registration on semi-autos required in IP18 has to be done at an FFL it will be a huge boon of business for them.

Enough of being a wet blanket on this party. There are some positive aspects of IP17 & 18 including:

Firearm training companies that offer live fire training should see a huge increase in business from customers wanting to get a permit to purchase.

Prices of compliant firearms should rise which will be good for those selling them.

Prices of banned firearms will be unsaleable in Oregon and FFLs will be able to pick them up cheap and sell for a greater profit to buyers in free states. Private sellers could do this as well if they wish to deal with out of state buyers.

Stakeholders in Gunbroker should see a boost from Oregon sellers trying to sell their banned firearms to buyers in free states.

Background checks will eventually ease since many buyers will be less likely to make a purchase so they don't have to get a permit to purchase.

Pawn shops will be able to make bigger profits on some firearm loans. When a buyer shows up to repay their loan and collect their firearm they will be disappointed to find out they need a permit to purchase to pick up their own firearm. Since the process to get a permit to purchase will take weeks or months and cost potentially more than the firearm is worth they may abandon the firearm. That will be a benefit to the pawn shop who can now sell the firearm.

Parts perceived as being illegal to sell to Oregonians will become more valuable so local sellers that have these parts can get more money when they sell them.

There are probably others who will benefit from passage of IP17 and IP18 but those are a few that initially come to mind.

Edit: If the Registration on semi-autos required in IP18 has to be done at an FFL it will be a huge boon of business for them.
It appears as though FFL dealers will not be needed for registration of grandfathered semi-autos:

SECTION 5. A person owning a semiautomatic assault firearm on the effective date of this 2022 Act or a person, who has
received ownership or possession by inheritance, bequest or succession or by virtue of the person's role as executor or
other legal representative of an estate or trust, and seeking to establish an affirmative defense to the crime of unlawful
possession, use or transfer established under section 4 of this 2022 Act, shall:
(1) Complete and submit a registration form to register each semiautomatic assault firearm within 180 days of the
effective date of this 2022 Act or within 180 days of acquiring ownership or possession, whichever occurs later, as follows:
(a) The form, prepared by the department, shall include the owner's current name, residential address and the make,
model and serial number of each semiautomatic assault firearm being registered by the owner; and
(b) Submission of the form by mail must be postmarked, or if submitted electronically must be sent, before midnight of
the final date for submission in the timeline set forth in subsection (1) of this section.

You were quite active in the unsuccessful IP8 effort a couple years ago. In your opinion, is there any hope for a proactive measure such as that, or will we forever be in the defensive, reactive mode?
My thought is that IP17 and IP18 petitioners are going to be succesful in gathering the signatures they need and that voters will pass both of these measures. I will be happy to help oppose both of these IPs but we have little leadership on the firearms issue here in Oregon. OFF has been demonized by many including gun owners and the other groups seem hesitant to step up and form any major grassroots efforts to fight these gun grabs. Sadly lots of Oregon gun owners have supported the gun grabs.

I seriously doubt we will ever be on the offensive again. We are going to quickly find ourselves one of the worst states in the nation for gun freedoms. November 2022 is going to be a dark month for Oregon gun owners.

It appears as though FFL dealers will not be needed for registration of grandfathered semi-autos:

SECTION 5. A person owning a semiautomatic assault firearm on the effective date of this 2022 Act or a person, who has
received ownership or possession by inheritance, bequest or succession or by virtue of the person's role as executor or
other legal representative of an estate or trust, and seeking to establish an affirmative defense to the crime of unlawful
possession, use or transfer established under section 4 of this 2022 Act, shall:
(1) Complete and submit a registration form to register each semiautomatic assault firearm within 180 days of the
effective date of this 2022 Act or within 180 days of acquiring ownership or possession, whichever occurs later, as follows:
(a) The form, prepared by the department, shall include the owner's current name, residential address and the make,
model and serial number of each semiautomatic assault firearm being registered by the owner; and
(b) Submission of the form by mail must be postmarked, or if submitted electronically must be sent, before midnight of
the final date for submission in the timeline set forth in subsection (1) of this section.
Since it looks like you won't have to pay to register grandfathered firearms, it might not be a bad idea to scoop up as many firearms as you can before next summer. I think the day they turn in sufficient signatures is going to be the turning point where you will see many buyers start looking to buy last minute firearms before Jan 2023 hits.

Although I have a carry permit, my right to carry and to own firearms is enshrined in the Second Amendment and my right to self defense is God given.
Unconstitutional laws are not legal or enforceable. So I'll live my life according to the laws of God and not some nasty carpet munching Chinese bought POS from Salem.

Although I have a carry permit, my right to carry and to own firearms is enshrined in the Second Amendment and my right to self defense is God given.
Unconstitutional laws are not legal or enforceable. So I'll live my life according to the laws of God and not some nasty carpet munching Chinese bought POS from Salem.
You have me convinced, do you think a jury will buy it?

You have me convinced, do you think a jury will buy it?
Sadly the problem with a LOT of the people who talk that they will not bend, these are the same people who watched as business's were illegally shut down and people were tossed out of work, landlords were told they could no longer collect rent and could not toss the people living in their homes and such. All this was fine. So most who claim they will not comply will of course line up to do so when told to. It's why it works.

For those who are going to refuse getting a permit to purchase if IP17 passes, I would advise buying as much of your firearm wishlist sooner rather than later. If you wait until November 2022 to see if voters pass it you might get caught up in a tsunami of buyers trying to get in at the last minute. Local prices will rise and local inventory will shrink. OSP may or may not continue moving CCL holders to front of the line.
Probably take effect the following Jan 1st, 2023. But you are correct, if there is anything on your wish list for sure get it next year well before these measures get voted on.

Probably take effect the following Jan 1st, 2023. But you are correct, if there is anything on your wish list for sure get it next year well before these measures get voted on.
Correct if they make it on the ballot and voters approve them, they would take effect Jan 2023. If you wait until after the election to buy what will be banned you might get caught up in huge delays. I doubt OSP will make an extra effort to help speed up background checks.

Edit: And owners who want to register their grandfathered firearms will have 180 day grace period from the date the law is enacted (presumably Jan 1st 2023).

(2) Not maintain or use the semiautomatic assault firearm in a manner other than:
(a) On property owned or immediately controlled by the registered owner;
(b) On the premises of a gun dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful service or repair;
(c) While engaging in the legal use of the semiautomatic assault firearm, at a public or private shooting range or shooting
gallery or for recreational activities such as hunting, to the extent permitted under state law; or
(d) While participating in firearms competition or exhibition, display or educational project about firearms sponsored,
conducted by, approved or under the auspices of a law enforcement agency or a national or state-recognized entity that
fosters proficiency in firearms use or promotes firearms education; and
(e) While transporting the semiautomatic assault firearm in a vehicle to one of the locations authorized in paragraphs (a)
to (d) of this subsection, provided the semiautomatic assault firearm is unloaded and locked in a container or with a trigger
lock.
(3) Permanently and voluntarily relinquish the semiautomatic assault firearm to law enforcement or to a buyback or turn-
in program approved by law enforcement, prior to commencement of prosecution by arrest, citation or a formal charge.

Last Edited:
I have a back up plan to own mostly manual loading firearms that shouldn't have to be registered.

One problem we could have is with this section of IP18:

(f) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a rifle into a semiautomatic assault firearm as
described in paragraphs (a) to (e) of this subsection, or that can be assembled into a semiautomatic assault firearm as
described in paragraphs (a) to (e) of this subsection.

The above will be banned as well or be required to be registered. For the fun of it I might register a bunch of parts to see how the OSP handles it. Not sure what I will put down for serials numbers but man the list of parts to register could be really really long.

I have a back up plan to own mostly manual loading firearms that shouldn't have to be registered.

One problem we could have is with this section of IP18:

(f) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a rifle into a semiautomatic assault firearm as
described in paragraphs (a) to (e) of this subsection, or that can be assembled into a semiautomatic assault firearm as
described in paragraphs (a) to (e) of this subsection.

The above will be banned as well or be required to be registered. For the fun of it I might register a bunch of parts to see how the OSP handles it. Not sure what I will put down for serials numbers but man the list of parts to register could be really really long.
It would be super awesome if others did this too because you know the media will be reporting how many firearms were registered. It could be many many millions if parts are registered.

Edit: a YouTube video outlining this process of registering parts might demonstrate how absurd this IP is.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top