JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, the proposed BIDS system was pretty similar to that. It used regular IDs like a DL#, plus your name an addy to generate the go/no go response. Since it was just a phone number to call you could have used it for anything; guns, a truck full of fertilizer and diesel for some guys "farm", renting your spare room to that guy you met at the bar for a week, or whatever else you might want to know the answer to "is this a prohibited person?"

It got shot down by the gun control crowd, because despite being a UBC law it was actually far easier to deal with than the current NICS system; it was free, fast, efficient and could not be traced to anything, let alone a specific gun. What you are proposing will never be passed, because the actual goal of these systems is not what they claim it is; they want obstruction, not BGCs. The BGC is just the means to an ulterior end.
I agree it will never happen, because of people on both sides.

It is more than just that. The wait can be the difference between a right exercised and a right denied.

I found a gun for a good price once while on vacation. I went through the check and got a delay. Could not stay for the hold since this was my last day there and home was 6+ hours away. Shop offered to ship it, but the shipping fees plus the receiving FFL fees put the cost at over retail for the gun new. The only real choice there was was to pass on the gun.

This is exactly why the anti-gun groups never pass any of the legislation that would improve the BGC system, even if that improvement got them UBC. Remember back in the 90s when there was bipartisan support for BIDS? The NRA helped write that legislation, and it would have provided for a UBC system that was instant, untraceable and unlinked to just guns. It was a simple phone number that gave a simple "yes/no" to the question "is this person a prohibited person?" based on a few pieces of common ID information (usually name, addy and DL number). Guess who shot it down? Yeah, all the big anti-gun groups of the day. They shot it down because it was a UBC system that was less burdensome than NICS, and they only want to implement a system that is more burdensome. Anything else will be killed by them for "reasons."

The delays are just another way to "encourage" people to not exercise their rights, nothing more and nothing less.
If you are talking about the 1999 bill that failed, it appears that it was not necessarily the anti-gun groups, although they may have fought it too. The Senate version passed and it appears it was going to pass the House as is which is why it appears that way. The NRA then pushed in provisions to the House version that they had to know were not going to be acceptable to the Democrats, with help from Democrat John Dingell oddly enough. Yes, they helped write the House version, the one that failed. According to the news at the time, the common knowledge was that the NRA purposefully sabotaged it even though about 75% of their members supported it. At least that's what appears to have happened from several sources I checked. Please correct me if any of that is not factual.
It's my opinion that a reasonable compromise is usually better for everyone even if your own party is in power, because eventually the pendulum swings and that makes for poor, fragmented and ever changing rules.

In Oregon, I have two family members (CHL, Veterans, clean records) who have 100% always been instant approvals on the firearms background check forever. The two buy several guns per year and nothing else has changed in buying habits. Any idea while all of a sudden both were denied instant approval and had to wait in queue for approval this week?
I have no clue. It just happened to my dad too. I've still had instant approves (except for one time when I bought from Oregon Arms and ammunition).

Purchased a rifle today, instant approval. CHL w/ unique name - former mil and LE affiliation (although I've spoken with someone at FICS who assured me that has nothing to do with it). I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't been instant approval and I've purchased probably over 100 firearms in the last 10 years.

Purchased a rifle today, instant approval. CHL w/ unique name - former mil and LE affiliation (although I've spoken with someone at FICS who assured me that has nothing to do with it). I can count on one hand the number of times I haven't been instant approval and I've purchased probably over 100 firearms in the last 10 years.
I have no certs, Leo or Mil to my name, at least one other person shares mine and I get instant every single time, even during COVID and 114 panics. I went in line twice in my life and was through same day. I promise you, it's the bribes I gave the squirrels outside the courthouse when I was 5. Or maybe the ducks at the park. Nobody really knows...

I, like you, have also purchased well over 100 firearms in the last decade

I have no certs, Leo or Mil to my name, at least one other person shares mine and I get instant every single time, even during COVID and 114 panics. I went in line twice in my life and was through same day. I promise you, it's the bribes I gave the squirrels outside the courthouse when I was 5. Or maybe the ducks at the park. Nobody really knows...

Same here. 3 or 4 minutes tops at the Sportsman's near me. Last purchase two months ago.

Ducks! That's it! All the good fortune I've had since childhood must be because of all the ducks I fed back there at the pond near the public library in Winchester Massachusetts when I was in fourth grade. And the good fortune in adulthood must have been because of all the ducks I fed when I kept my own duck flock as an adult. And all my childhood bad fortune must be because I only went to the public library once a week, so failed to feed the ducks six days out of every seven. And all my adulthood bad fortune must be because, while keeping and feeding my duck flock, I also--Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa--ate or sold most of their eggs and had the occassional duck dinner too. Ducks explain everything!

Ducks! That's it! All the good fortune I've had since childhood must be because of all the ducks I fed back there at the pond near the public library in Winchester Massachusetts when I was in fourth grade. And the good fortune in adulthood must have been because of all the ducks I fed when I kept my own duck flock as an adult. And all my childhood bad fortune must be because I only went to the public library once a week, so failed to feed the ducks six days out of every seven. And all my adulthood bad fortune must be because, while keeping and feeding my duck flock, I also--Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa--ate or sold most of their eggs and had the occassional duck dinner too. Ducks explain everything!
It is pretty clear to me that this post is empirically conclusive.

However, I DID buy a giant bag of Hampton Farms Peanuts at Bi-Mart today for my squirrels just as a safeguard going forward.

It is pretty clear to me that this post is empirically conclusive.

However, I DID buy a giant bag of Hampton Farms Peanuts at Bi-Mart today for my squirrels just as a safeguard going forward.

Some people have ducks and they keep them in a row. That's not me.

I have squirrrels, and they are drunk!

Back to the subject at hand...
I couldn't tell you how many firearms I've bought thru an FFL, but I've only had an issue with the three I previously mentioned. The percentage is pretty low.

I DO NOT support the infringement.

Why?

1701972647173.png

1701972554014.png

Aloha, Mark

PS......I know of that time.....when Germany had gun registration and lists of gun owners too.

Upcoming Events

ARPC Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Central Oregon Sportsmen's show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top