JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just moved to hillsboro oregon a few months ago, from hawaii. Im currently looking for a place to turn my pig hunting dogs loose. Prefer private lands / land owner hunting areas. Or public land, isn't a problem either. I've been hunting for wild pigs in hawaii for 20yrs now, with dogs and knife only. Us hawaiians call it; (HAWAIIAN HOGGIN)

..... my dogs cant wait to be put on a hog scent. One of the best part of having good hunting dogs are you dont have to look OR track the pigs down. Just take my hounds to the pigs last track and they find and hold the pigs for you.

Im willing to drive or meet up with hunting partner to bag a hog! Dm me. And i can send you my number....
#findingOREGONhogs with dogs!!

1463169105104172777193.jpg

Here's one of the boar heads i have mouth. This boar weigh 200lbs w/ 7 1/2 inch tusk (not pulled out). Caught with just two of my dogs. In a yr i would average 70-100 pigs, depending on how many days i hunt in a wk.

Did you try contacting ODFW for the southern parts of Oregon?
[edit] You, sir, are a badass. Buddy of mine lost two brothers to hunting pigs with dogs and knives. They found them, disemboweled, with their entrails stomped.

Last Edited:
Did you try contacting ODFW for the southern parts of Oregon?
[edit] You, sir, are a badass. Buddy of mine lost two brothers to hunting pigs with dogs and knives. They found them, disemboweled, with their entrails stomped.
Yeah. They told me to try the Pineville area in bend oregon. But heres the thing i haven't made it to bend yet, i heard its 4 hrs away from hillsboro . I was more so hoping that someone could show me around thses parts.. i know my dogs can find the pig if i get them to the pig tracks,

I scout along the Cali border from time to time in the riparian zones that cross over the border, where they are most likely to move up into Oregon. It's always second and third hand reports of a sighting, so not reliable. They're definitely in California, but even as an invasive species, a non resident hunting permit could get pricey, although I can't remember exactly; I think they have multi day permits for non residents that might be affordable. I ask around once in a while, but haven't heard of any regular activity in 20 years in So. Oregon. I've tried to contact ODFW but they're not easy to get a response through the email. I've often heard of more regular activity around Madras, but that's not a place I know well, but some locals might know.

I did sell a Catahoula Leopard Hound to a fellow who hunts with dogs in Northern California, so I know they're there!

Last Edited:
I scout along the Cali border from time to time in the riparian zones that cross over the border, where they are most likely to move up into Oregon. It's always second and third hand reports of a sighting, so not reliable. They're definitely in California, but even as an invasive species, a non resident hunting permit could get pricey, although I can't remember exactly; I think they have multi day permits for non residents that might be affordable. I ask around once in a while, but haven't heard of any regular activity in 20 years in So. Oregon. I've tried to contact ODFW but they're not easy to get a response through the email. I've often heard of more regular activity around Madras, but that's not a place I know well, but some locals might know.

I did sell a Catahoula Leopard Hound to a fellow who hunts with dogs in Northern California, so I know they're there!
I have family in California, so if i every head out thag way i can have one of them buy a hunting permit. I just dont wanna drive out that far. As for ODFW, I think they dont wanted people to know where the pigs are.
I mite head out to bend in the next week or so, probably stay over night just to give the dogs some time to roam around..

Yeah, I don't fancy going to Cali if I don't have to, at least nowhere near cities of any size; I stick to the deserts where I'm from.
Yeah, I don't fancy going to Cali if I don't have to, at least nowhere near cities of any size; I stick to the deserts where I'm from.
What breed are your dogs. I have owned painter bulldogs for years and they are good hog dogs. I heard mixing a little Plot hound in the bloodline makes a good dod also.

Thanks
James

What breed are your dogs. I have owned painter bulldogs for years and they are good hog dogs. I heard mixing a little Plot hound in the bloodline makes a good dod also.

Thanks
James
I just had the one Cathoula which didn't turn out to be a good service dog, so I had to find him a good home, which chasing boars for a Leopard Hound is pretty darn good.

For what's worth, look elsewhere than NW Oregon.
There's basically no huntable population here, you may find one or two that have recently escaped someone's farm but other than that there's none.
This subject comes up fairly often here and the questions are always answered the same way, go south or east. Your poor old dogs would just get skinny looking for them:D

There's basically no huntable population here, you may find one or two that have recently escaped someone's farm but other than that there's none.
This is correct -
A while back Northwest Sportsman magazine had a good article on this particular issue. It mentions the eradication efforts in Oregon have been massive and most likely what few hogs remain are either on private land or scattered about. Personally in over 30 years of hiking, hunting, fishing etc. in the Central Oregon area (and a lot of it in supposed high hog population) I have witnessed only one hog taken - and it was by a guy during deer season North of Redmond near Gray Butte. Anyway with as much fun as it would be to hunt them it appears wild hogs will soon be on the 'extinct' list for Oregon.

This is correct -
A while back Northwest Sportsman magazine had a good article on this particular issue. It mentions the eradication efforts in Oregon have been massive and most likely what few hogs remain are either on private land or scattered about. Personally in over 30 years of hiking, hunting, fishing etc. in the Central Oregon area (and a lot of it in supposed high hog population) I have witnessed only one hog taken - and it was by a guy during deer season North of Redmond near Gray Butte. Anyway with as much fun as it would be to hunt them it appears wild hogs will soon be on the 'extinct' list for Oregon.
-
Ya everyone wishes there were pigs to hunt in OR. (except agriculture) .. Better off just switching your efforts to Coyotes around here, as there's no shortage of dogs to shoot here west of portland .
Between the Cats & Coyotes any pigs get loose here, .." is what's for Supper ".

I just moved to hillsboro oregon a few months ago, from hawaii. Im currently looking for a place to turn my pig hunting dogs loose. Prefer private lands / land owner hunting areas. Or public land, isn't a problem either. I've been hunting for wild pigs in hawaii for 20yrs now, with dogs and knife only. Us hawaiians call it; (HAWAIIAN HOGGIN)

..... my dogs cant wait to be put on a hog scent. One of the best part of having good hunting dogs are you dont have to look OR track the pigs down. Just take my hounds to the pigs last track and they find and hold the pigs for you.

Im willing to drive or meet up with hunting partner to bag a hog! Dm me. And i can send you my number....
#findingOREGONhogs with dogs!!

View attachment 292569
ay brah good to see another local guy here.

In the Wa. Fish and wildlife regs. They claim there is some up by Montesano, WA. But your still looking at 2.5-3 hrs away.

Stacy

After a lot of blood, sweat, tears, and gasoline I have concluded this has to be myth created by the Montesano Chamber of Commerce. There's not a pig to be found anywhere around there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top