JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The Charade Continues

Governor Browns law to absolve OSP of their responsibility to do their jobs in a timely manner is now in the House Judiciary Committee. She calls it a loophole but what it does is allow them an indefinite delay on the background check instead of the federally recommended max 3 day delay.
Here's a link to the actual bill, but the link is also in the OFF alert linked above: https://olis.leg.state.or.us/liz/2017R1/Downloads/MeasureDocument/HB2237/Introduced

For those that don't already have the hot link on their desktop, here is the Oregon legislature home page. Oregon State Legislature. The drop down menus are pretty good. You can find the members of any committees and information on any legislator.

At the very least, call and email Jeff Barker, the committee chair. I personally think that you should contact every member of the committee. Again, if you don't say anything, they can rightly say that they have heard no opposition to this bill. Here is a list of the committee members and their contact information that I copied and pasted from the legislature web site:

2017 Oregon House Judiciary Committee

Jeff Barker(D) – chair [email protected] - 503-986-1428

Andy Olson(R) - Vice Chair - [email protected] - 503-986-1415 or 541-967-6576

Jennifer Williamson (D) – Vice Chair - [email protected] - 503-986-1436

Chris Gorsek (D) - [email protected] - 503-986-1449

Mitch Greenlick(D) - [email protected] - 503-986-1433

Ann Lininger(D) - [email protected] - 503-986-1438

Bill Post(R) - [email protected] - 503-986-1425

Tawna D. Sanchez(D) - [email protected] - 503-986-1443

Sherrie Sprenger (R) - [email protected] - 503-986-1417

Duane A. Stark (R) - [email protected] - 503-986-1404 or 541- 237-9851

A. Richard Vial(R) - [email protected] - 503-986-1426

Ask them one question. How many firearms were released after the current 3 day period by FFL's in Oregon without receiving an approval number from OSP? They will not be able to answer as they have done zero research to justify this added restriction. None of the FFL's I deal with will release a firearm without an approval number from OSP no matter how long it takes.
Typical Oregon politicians throwing out fluff and puff legislation that is unnecessary and serves no purpose. Except to allow the the Governor and legislature to reduce staffing at OSP background check unit to prevent them from approving more than a few each day. Sad, very sad that the state of Oregon politics has sunk into the sewer. If it looks like a skunk, walks like a skunk and smells like a skunk, it is most likely a progressive Oregon politician.

Will this governor do anything to please the commifornians flooding this state? When do we vote her out again....? :rolleyes:
New member here. I was in high hopes bud was going to win. I'm still exploring the site but when I looked at all the gun bills ready for this year's legislation I was pleased to not see any mag ban.

Portland and Benton county are why it's going to be hard to vote her out.

Yeah and no criminals whining about trump blocking traffic and damaging business out there ether I bet.

Nope! I was able to drive to Fred Meyer unbothered and grab some steaks to make while I watched the police kick bubblegum on live streams of all these college age wanna be anarchocommies who didn't pay attention to politics until Facebook told them. It was nice and quiet out here! Life she is good. :p

Nope! I was able to drive to Fred Meyer unbothered and grab some steaks to make while I watched the police kick bubblegum on live streams of all these college age wanna be anarchocommies who didn't pay attention to politics until Facebook told them. It was nice and quiet out here! Life she is good. :p
I'm thinking of getting bear mace for those freaks, it would be funny. Not that I go out looking for trouble but if my back was against the corner and no way to flee I think it would give them a much needed attitude adjustment.

Sadly the idiots in Portland will all but guarantee her reelection :(

She just pissed off a lot of people by backing out of the gill net agreement with Washington. People are realizing that she is just a puppet for those with deep pockets. The trick is making people remember that come the next election.

would recommend calling instead of emails. It's much easier for them to ignore emails.
Thanks for the recommendation. For those that have not called in the past, here are a few things to keep in mind:
  • You will most likely be speaking with a staffer that is handling paperwork for many pieces of unrelated legislation and the rest of the congresspersons schedule. As such, they may not know the name of the bill so be sure to mention it by name and number.
  • Mention that the Representative is on the House Judiciary committee and that the bill is being considered by the committee.
  • Start out stating that you are a citizen that is opposed to that bill. You can add other things, but at least in the beginning, keep it short and to the point. They have a ton of other tasks to accomplish. They may have additional time to speak with you, but don't count on it and respect their time.
  • Thank the staffer and the congressperson for considering your viewpoint. Most will appreciate you treating them with respect.
  • Even if you know there is no chance in he!! they will vote against the bill, let them know of your opposition anyway. Not letting them know gives them legitimacy when they say that they haven't heard of any objections.
  • Be aware that some staffers may be confrontational. I had that issue with one of them on the staff of a certain State Senator from Portland that is vehemently anti-2A. Her staff member actually told me that my views on 941 were contributing to illegal gun use in the state. They ended up hanging up on me. Although it may be fun to get them spun up, it's mostly a waste of your time to get into the gutter with them.

Her staff member actually told me that my views on 941 were contributing to illegal gun use in the state. They ended up hanging up on me. Although it may be fun to get them spun up, it's mostly a waste of your time to get into the gutter with them.

This is the exact reason I don't like talking to extreme liberals. Logic...Out the window. Ethics...Out of the window. Perform your job without prejudice... Definitely out the window.

Here's the reply I got from Rep Barker, chair of the Oregon House Judiciary Committee:

Thank you for your email.

I do not support an indefinite delay to any law-abiding Oregonian's 2nd Amendment rights. As a result, I oppose HB 2237.

Thanks again for your email and please feel free to contact me again on this or any other issue.

Jeff Barker

For the curious, here's what I wrote to him:

Dear Representative Barker,

I'm honestly not even sure if these get read by you, so I'll keep it short. Please oppose HB 2237. The three day limit to how long a firearm purchase can be delayed is a reasonable protection of people's constitutionally protected rights to keep and bear arms. Three days should be plenty of time for any reasonably efficient organization to complete a NICS query.

On a related note, Oregonians in possession of a CHL should be exempt from background check requirements because they already go through a more stringent background check every 4 years when they renew their license.

Thanks for your consideration in this matter. Please continue to protect and defend the constitution as one of your highest priorities.

Sincerely,
<my name>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews