JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The argument is that if guns are stored safely (by their definition) with firearm and ammunition stored separately, locked in a way not accessible by children, there will be fewer firearm related suicides
Aren't like 99% of firearm related suicides committed by lawful firearm owners over the age of 21 tho?

Aren't like 99% of firearm related suicides committed by lawful firearm owners over the age of 21 tho?
Beats me, the specifics of this conversation, and you can double check in previous posts, relates to the issue of children and "firearms safety" (not my definition) so the over 21 group isn't really relevant to this conversation

I feel like I've just read the recently declassified JFK documents... enough redactions to make it impossible to decipher....
Since I'm ignored by OP, it took me a minute to figure out what you're talking about. Yup.... OP changed his comments. Interesting says I.

Yup! The highest percentages are about 20/100k ages 74-84, another 20/100k are 85+ and the next highest bracket is about 18/100k in 25-35yr olds. 15-24yr olds run about 13/100k and is the lowest suicide rate of all age groups. Basically... the older you get the higher the suicide rate.

The highest rate is among middle aged white men and of all suicides... white men make up 70% of all numbers combined. Nearly 4 times more likely to commit suicide than women.

(Since the OP redacted all posts... that's a green light to go off-topic, right?) ;)

Don't know what any of this is about. All I see are stars.

D24C329F-7D72-45BD-B667-56696DF1F5E4.jpeg

Last Edited:
Let me splain, no, that will take too long, I will sum up....

OP posted a link and a statement that his recently drafted bill has a sponsor and is getting "dropped" into the session.

Due to the poor choice of the use of drop, or purposeful misdirection, OP was ribbed.

OP ignores me after responding he doesn't want to argue about verbiage.

OP redacts all posts opening the thread to drift.

Tyra Banks Mic Drop GIF by Allure

Last Edited:
Too bad OP dropped out. I was hoping for some dialog. If he was really wanting support from our members perhaps consideration of our thoughts and input may have brought it. I am all for protecting our kids (and grandkids). But I am suspicious every time some one wants to give more responsibility to the government schools.

CDC WISQARS is useful.

Pick
* 1999 to 2020 (ICD-10), National, Regional and State (Restricted) - so you can get by-state; 'Agree' to the popup.
* Intent - Suicide
* Cause - Firearm
* Census Region - Oregon
* Years of report - 1999 to 2020
Keep going ...
* Select age groups - first button, 'Age Groups'
* Select output groups - Year, then Age Group (or the other way 'round)

For Oregon, there are no recorded suicides by firearms under age 15 in the last 10 years (2011-2020, later not yet available)

Similarly, selecting 'Unintentional' instead of 'Suicide' shows no deaths by firearm in the 0-4 to 15-19 bands from 1999 through 2020. I find that weird; I wonder about cause reporting that gets to CDC.

However, while I endorse gun safety education across the board, it does not seem to be a big enough problem in Oregon that it needs a lot of investment by the state.

I put my children through Hunter Safety courses at an early age. So early, in fact, that they were not eligible for getting the certificate! I did that because I felt that they should have an education on firearm safety that was taught by someone outside the family. I believe that although my wife and I had instilled firearm safety in the children from the time they were able to understand, it is always better for this to reinforced by a credentialed outsider.

I feel that even if the child has no interest in firearms, and never develops an interest, it is important for them to know the rules of firearm safety so that if they get in a situation where someone in their vicinity is handling a firearm in an unsafe manner, they will know to get away from the threat and encourage everyone else around to do the same. Also to report the incident to someone with authority, in order to discourage unsafe handling.

I remember that there was an earlier attempt to promote firearms safety in the schools, perhaps by the OP. The actions by the OP in this thread raise my suspicions about the real intent of such legislation. Perhaps it is a Trojan Horse to introduce anti-gun propaganda under the guise of "firearms safety?"

Interesting theory and not too far fetched actually.

They would already have the kids as a 'captive audience' and could easily impart subliminal, anti gun messages and propaganda.
Not at all far fetched. Considering the public school agendas these days indoctrinating the woke ideals, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that any "firearm safety" inititive would be anything more being anti-2A themed.

If I had to guess. More about identifying and reporting anything they are taught to be deemed "unsafe" vs. actual "gun safety" in the traditional sense. IOW, report anyone that owns a firearm to an adult or the authrities.

Last Edited:

They would already have the kids as a 'captive audience' and could easily impart subliminal, anti gun messages and propaganda.

Not at all far fetched. Considering the public school agendas these days indoctrinating the woke ideals, I find it incredibly difficult to believe that any "firearm safety" inititive would be anything more being anti-2A themed.

If I had to guess. More about identifying and reporting anything they is taught to be deemed "unsafe" vs. actual "gun safety" in the traditional sense. IOW, report anyone that owns a firearm to an adult or the authrities.
Actually no.

It's not state run classes.

I remember that there was an earlier attempt to promote firearms safety in the schools, perhaps by the OP. The actions by the OP in this thread raise my suspicions about the real intent of such legislation. Perhaps it is a Trojan Horse to introduce anti-gun propaganda under the guise of "firearms safety?"
There was a previous bill that died in committee. You'd be 1,000% incorrect on assuming it's an anti-gun bill.

Last Edited:

The OP was challenged by a few about his post, then tucked tail and ran.

Looking over the web site he was pushing I must say the content raised a LOT of RED FLAGS to me.
Just my thoughts.

Last Edited:
Actually no.

It's not state run classes.
I didn't see what the OP was peddling and was just making the assumption it was something state sponsored based on Provincials post, "..earlier attempt to promote firearms safety in the schools."

I couldn't imagine they would be allowing private instruction about actual firearm safety into the public school curriculum.

Thanks for the clarification.

I didn't see what the OP was peddling and was just making the assumption it was something state sponsored based on Provincials post, "..earlier attempt to promote firearms safety in the schools."

I couldn't imagine they would be allowing private instruction about actual firearm safety into the public school curriculum.

It lives on as a quote in the 2nd post

First attempt.
Notice section 4.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR