JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Like the contaminated Chinese sheetrock of years past? Fire retardent materials are chemically treated. This would never pass Prop65. Also shows the power of the insurance lobby with government. Still, it's a lot easier than sound forest management.

We all know that the govt lovvvvvves to keep us safe, of course as long as we agree to give up some of our liberty and rights in the process...

We all know that the govt lovvvvvves to keep us safe, of course as long as we agree to give up some of our liberty and rights in the process...
And money! I don't know what comes over otherwise normal folks when they are given power. Suddenly they know what's best for the rest of society and we end up with a plethora of laws, regulations, and ordinances that are a costly burden on society. Oh, and don't forget the kayak permits!

Ok - I get it. You don't have to tell me about government mandates.

But I posted this because I thought there was some good info in the article about how to make a house more fire resistant.
Respectfully, and not a dig on you Heretic, much respect…

Didn't the three little pigs figure this out? No houses of straw, no houses of sticks…. Make 'em out of bricks or concrete…

For over 100 years both CA and Ore forests were managed in a way that brought in funds to the state, Kept large tracts of forest land together as lumber leases, And got the lease holders to do the forest cleaning as part of their lease agreements! What is not to understand? DR

When I lived in Pollock Pines, CA back in the early to mid 1990s I used get the string trimmer out and use it cut the weeds growing around our home several times a year depending on how much rain we got in spring time. I would weed whack it and then rack all of clippings up.

We could burn our green waste in spring, fall and winter time months without any burn permit. I spent the summer months creating a few burn piles and used tarps to keep the burn pile mostly dry.

We had a fire station a few miles up the road and it had a sign showing if we could burn or not. I used a bit of diesel fuel to help get the burn piles going and kept a hose on when I did the burning. Started burning in morning and sometimes the burn was still going late a night especially with the large piles with tree stumps.

Worked with housing for 45 years.
Looked at multiple thousands of houses both in town and rural areas.
Had a newly rehabbed home in escrow when fire tore through the Mckenzie last year.

Wood roofs and siding in forested areas never made much sense to me.
If I were building or rehabbing again probably wouldn't use comp roofing either.

Doesn't change the fact that Salem government is a cancer....add a few county departments as well...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top