JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Something I received in my inbox this AM

Salem, Oregon --(Ammoland.com)- It’s the time for giving and once again gun owners across the state are receiving requests for cash from an organization that claims to support gun rights, while working overtime for gun control.

Oregonians who have concealed handgun licenses are getting this letter from “Oregon Gun Owners Political Action Committee”

In 1999 “Oregon Gun Owners” worked with former legislator, and perennial candidate, Kevin Mannix, to forge legislation that would outlaw private transfers of firearms at gun shows. They failed. They then attempted a ballot measure to do the same thing. They failed again. (Their sister-in-arms, Ginny Burdick, armed with millions in out-of-state money succeeded.)

Now “Oregon Gun Owners” is asking real Oregon gun owners to send them cash. What do they do with it? Well in 2010 alone the sent over $8000.00 to anti-gun politicians in Salem. They endorsed Floyd Prozanski and Peter Courtney, two of the most anti-gun politicians in the state, and they sent their lobbyist, Paul Phillips to testify in FAVOR of more gun control in the February “special” session.

Their letter says that the cost of printing their fundraising letter was paid for “by another gun rights organization.” Oddly they don’t say who that was. We think it’s most likely that the other “gun rights” organization was… Oregon Gun Owners.

At this special time of year, when money is tight and scams are uptrending, we at OFF think it’s important to know who you are giving to.

Have a merry and scam-free Christmas.

About:
The Oregon Firearms Federation has proven itself to be Oregon’s only no compromise lobbying group, OFF takes the same tough stands and serves as a vehicle for educating gun owners, promoting their rights and when necessary, fighting the freedom haters in court. Visit: www.oregonfirear

Here__--__--__ Oregon Gun Owners Group - Sheeple in Wolfs Clothing?

Thoughts??

Seems bad.

When I was in the service, there was always a big push to get the service members to donate to charities, I forget the exact name of the program. However, I participated, and after looking through the names of several charities, donated. One of the charities I donated to was all about gun owner rights, or so I thought. After some investigating, I found out that it was the same group that had backed the Brady bill among other things. Wow, about blew my top. I refused to ever participate in anything like that again, and as of yet, never have. I was tricked by the name, as, I believe many people are.

and I'm not even an OREGON gun owner. The only way they could have gotten my name and home address connected to gun ownership in OR is from the CHL list. And I SPECIFICALLY (in writing) told the sheriffs office that I wanted my info kept private!

Even the NRA, WAC and SWWAC records wouldn't show me as an OR gun owner.

Now wondering just how they got the info for fund raising purposes!!!!!!!!

----------------------------------------------------------

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

Thanks for the link to the article. I wasn't aware of this group it's refreshing to see there are folks out there who are willing to fight within the system to actually get things done instead of blindly smashing their heads into a wall while shouting no compromise, no compromise. I'm not interested into getting into a Pis&*ng contest over who is the more "pure" gun rights group which it appears OFF likes to do. I'm more interested in preserving my rights to gun ownership.

Why the odd fascination with sheep. I think you mention sheeple in nearly every one of your posts. Do you have any respect whatsoever for another persons viewpoint or if anyone disagrees with you are they simply a "sheeple?" That sounds a little arrogant and elitist if you ask me.

Thanks for the link to the article. I wasn't aware of this group it's refreshing to see there are folks out there who are willing to fight within the system to actually get things done instead of blindly smashing their heads into a wall while shouting no compromise, no compromise. I'm not interested into getting into a Pis&*ng contest over who is the more "pure" gun rights group which it appears OFF likes to do. I'm more interested in preserving my rights to gun ownership.

Why the odd fascination with sheep. I think you mention sheeple in nearly every one of your posts. Do you have any respect whatsoever for another persons viewpoint or if anyone disagrees with you are they simply a "sheeple?" That sounds a little arrogant and elitist if you ask me.

============================================

To whom are you replying to?

============================================

To whom are you replying to?

Well, not you since you didn't have a post and if I look closely the only person that provided a link was the OP himself. The OP provided us with an article that accuses one gun rights group of being sheeple and then lets us know that the gun rights group OFF are the only true, pure gun rights group and implies that any other gun rights groups are merely scamming you for your money which I guess leaves you only one option: give them your money. And by them I mean OFF. This practice of blindly copying and forwarding any and all correspondence from OFF and calling anyone who does not blindly follow along with you (I wonder who the real sheeple are) "sheeple" is getting a little old. I also thanked the OP for bringing to my attention a group that appears to be focused on results and not bashing competing groups as this appears to be an organization I could get behind.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a hurry this morning so I may not be as clear as I'd like.

Oregon Gun Owners is the group that sued and won to force County Sherrifs to make public the rolls of concealed carry license holders. What purpose could this serve the public, other than to spread consternation? The purpose was that OGO could then add those names to their fundraising mail lists, which is what they did. Many CCL holders who thought their identity was private have suddenly gotten fundraising letters from OGO, out of the blue.

OGO has been around for decades, but their main activity has only been in raising money to fund more fundraising! They occasionally make political contributions, but not always to pro-gun candidates! They occasionally hire a lobbyist to collaborate with legislators in developing watered-down gun rights bills, which rarely leave legislative committee anyway, since there is no publicity or public campaign developed to support the issue. OGO has no publications or newsletter, and until recently their bare-bones website was non-functional for anything concrete except fund appeals. Check out OGo_Org to see how much of nothing they offer. I am not even aware of any letters to the editor written on behalf of OGO over the years, and I am a newspaper addict for decades!

From the beginning, unless I am mistaken, OGO has never had more than three officers, who are now elderly: John T. Nichols, his wife Mrs. Nichols, and friend John Sweeny, who often ran unsuccessfully for State Legislature from SE Portland. They have never published a larger list of officers or their salaries, or broken down publically what they do with the funds they raise.

Unless OGO develops more publicity about exactly what they do and what it costs, I for one would never contribute to them again........................elsullo

Oregon Gun Owners is the group that sued and won to force County Sherrifs to make public the rolls of concealed carry license holders. What purpose could this serve the public, other than to spread consternation? The purpose was that OGO could then add those names to their fundraising mail lists, which is what they did. Many CCL holders who thought their identity was private have suddenly gotten fundraising letters from OGO, out of the blue.

OGO has been around for decades, but their main activity has only been in raising money to fund more fundraising! They occasionally make political contributions, but not always to pro-gun candidates! They occasionally hire a lobbyist to collaborate with legislators in developing watered-down gun rights bills, which rarely leave legislative committee anyway, since there is no publicity or public campaign developed to support the issue. OGO has no publications or newsletter, and until recently their bare-bones website was non-functional for anything concrete except fund appeals. Check out OGo_Org to see how much of nothing they offer. I am not even aware of any letters to the editor written on behalf of OGO over the years, and I am a newspaper addict for decades!

From the beginning, unless I am mistaken, OGO has never had more than three officers, who are now elderly: John T. Nichols, his wife Mrs. Nichols, and friend John Sweeny, who often ran unsuccessfully for State Legislature from SE Portland. They have never published a larger list of officers or their salaries, or broken down publically what they do with the funds they raise.

Unless OGO develops more publicity about exactly what they do and what it costs, I for one would never contribute to them again........................elsullo

Nice post elsullo :s0155: Took your advice and visited the website..it does seem a little sparse and just has lists of legislative bills but no editorial content about what they did or did not do to either promote or oppose them. There is a disturbing trend of late for organizations to just act as a shell to garner money for a certain stated cause but not really contribute to the cause. I have been an avid follower of gun rights activity here in my home state of Oregon for years and have never encountered this group.

As I recall, Mr. Nichols was cast out of another Oregon gun group 15-20 years ago and started up a "competing" gun advocacy group. What they advocate is fund raising to cover their expenses it appears.

Oregon Gun Owners is the group that sued and won to force County Sherrifs to make public the rolls of concealed carry license holders. What purpose could this serve the public, other than to spread consternation?

I thought it was the Medford Mail Tribune that sued for that info not the Oregon Gun Owners. Do you have any support for this statement.

When I was in the service, there was always a big push to get the service members to donate to charities, I forget the exact name of the program. However, I participated, and after looking through the names of several charities, donated. One of the charities I donated to was all about gun owner rights, or so I thought. After some investigating, I found out that it was the same group that had backed the Brady bill among other things. Wow, about blew my top. I refused to ever participate in anything like that again, and as of yet, never have. I was tricked by the name, as, I believe many people are.

When in the Army I was virtualy forced to donate to "Charity" The United Way
who funds Planned Parenthood
I suspect that there were politicians behind that pressure,can you imagine the money made by pressuring several million servicemen to donate?

I thought it was the Medford Mail Tribune that sued for that info not the Oregon Gun Owners. Do you have any support for this statement.

Sorry, I read a lot and can't remember where I read this. It all happened last Spring, I think, and involved two levels of State Courts, and either OGO or the Medford paper joined in the suit at the appeal level. I regret that I do not have the time or energy to research the whole progression, and I am sorry I can't remember the exact facts...........................elsullo :confused:

OGW supports the anti-gun politicians in Salem. That's all anyone needs to know.

OFF works very hard for Oregon gun owners. A small $10 or $20 donation helps support this activity, DO IT!

:s0155: on OFF.

Never heard of OGW before. The fact they're sending junk mail makes me dislike them. I'd be tempted to fill their return envelope with rocks and send it postage due.:s0114: I'm also curious why I didn't get a letter.:s0131:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top