JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just tried to read the laws regarding firearm sales and transfers here in The People's Republic of Oregon and have a headache.

Can anyone tell me, in plain English:

Are private sales of firearms in Oregon allowed? What kind of paperwork is required, if any?

What restrictions or requirements are in place for private (person-to-person) transfers or sales?

Thanks.

Face to face is a-OK. They must be legally able to buy a firearm in your state. Age. Resident. No felony convictions. Do whatever you think is prudent when selling. A CHL makes it pretty easy.

I just tried to read the laws regarding firearm sales and transfers here in The People's Republic of Oregon and have a headache.

Can anyone tell me, in plain English:

Are private sales of firearms in Oregon allowed? What kind of paperwork is required, if any?

What restrictions or requirements are in place for private (person-to-person) transfers or sales?

Thanks.

private sales are allowed, at gunshows they require a background. No paperwork or background if they are just face to face sales. The buyer has to be over 18 and appear to be able to purchase a firearm. (not look like a felon, or talking about just getting out of jail).

Other than that, go for it. Its a good idea to do a bill of sale just to cover your rear.

private sales are allowed, at gunshows they require a background. No paperwork or background if they are just face to face sales. The buyer has to be over 18 and appear to be able to purchase a firearm. (not look like a felon, or talking about just getting out of jail).

Other than that, go for it. Its a good idea to do a bill of sale just to cover your rear.

Um can I get a bill of sale???

The only person that is required to perform a background check on a purchaser of a firearm is someone with a FFL. Personal sales are just fine, but make sure that the person buying the gun isn't some loon that's going to do something stupid. The legal record of the gun is the original purchaser, and the law may want them to answer a lot of embarassing and and probing questions.

Good rule of thumb... if you don't know the person, don't sell to them. There are lots of lawyers out there looking for a quick buck, and if you own any property, it could be gone after. Prudence is the best policy.

Person-to-person sales can OPTIONALLY have paperwork and a buyer background check. Oregon is required to offer ten-dollar background checks to anyone, just like private sellers must do at gunshows. You call the State Police with the data on buyer, seller, and gun, and they take your credit card number for the transaction, and verify the buyer info and give you a confirmation number of the sale. It is easiest to use the Oregon firearm transaction "Blue-Form" for private sales. I think that they will even mail the forms to you for future use, and these are always available at gunshow offices.

So, a private seller can do a background check on a buyer and be protected. However, you and the buyer should then consider the gun "registered" even though Oregon does not "have" gun registration. Computers never forget.

Another caveat: if your call discovers that the gun you are selling is stolen, they will forbid the sale and tell you to stay put until a deputy arrives to confiscate it. So, if you want to know WHO you are selling to, you need to be sure of WHAT you are selling as well....................elsullo :confused:

I would be scared selling FTF.

If the gun is used in a crime, who's door gets kicked in?

Whether buying or selling, get a signed bill of sale with the make, model, caliber, serial number and drivers license number (or other ID) of the person you buy from or sell to. In both cases you establish a chain of possession. When you buy, you can establish the chain if the gun was previously used in a crime--likewise if it happens after you sell one.

I had one experience where a bill of sale came in handy, but it sure helped.

Whether buying or selling, get a signed bill of sale with the make, model, caliber, serial number and drivers license number (or other ID) of the person you buy from or sell to. In both cases you establish a chain of possession. When you buy, you can establish the chain if the gun was previously used in a crime--likewise if it happens after you sell one.

I had one experience where a bill of sale came in handy, but it sure helped.

Shoulda also said, I am not a lawyer with all the other normal CYA messages. :)

It's just what I've done in the past.

FYI...A great resource for questions like these in plain english and a complete overview of all Oregon Firearm related laws is the book from Kevin Starrett entitled "Understanding Oregon Gun Laws".

I know Kevin and he is squared away (legally and tactically) and I also know the guys really well who wrote the forward to his book! You can purchase a copy of the book from one of the site's paid sponsors - <broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top