JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Here's the OFF Alert:
2017 Firearms Legislation

2017 Firearms Legislation

HB 2030 Prohibits state agency from restricting or closing access to state lands used for hunting until state agency has notified State Department of Fish and Wildlife and department has posted notice of restriction or closure for at least 30 days on department's website. Provides exceptions.

HB 2126 Repeals requirement that person engaged in business of selling, leasing or otherwise transferring firearms record in register purchase or acceptance in trade of used firearm and provide copy of record to law enforcement agency.

HB 2127 Directs Department of Justice to create and maintain list of states that recognize Oregon con- cealed handgun licenses and require handgun competency to obtain concealed handgun license that is similar to competency required in Oregon.Authorizes Attorney General to enter into agreement with concealed handgun license issuing authority of other state if agreement is necessary for license reciprocity.Provides person who is not resident of Oregon, who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing firearm and who is licensed to carry concealed handgun in another state with protections provided to person with Oregon concealed handgun license, if other state is on department's list of states

HB 2130 Creates crime of endangering a minor by allowing access to a firearm. Punishes by maximum of 30 days' imprisonment, $1,250 fine, or both. Increases penalty to maximum of six months' imprisonment, $2,500 fine, or both, or one year's imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both, depending on location at which firearm is possessed. Increases penalty to maximum of five years' imprisonment, $125,000 fine, or both, if any person is seriously injured or killed. Requires gun dealer to post notice concerning obligation to prevent minors from accessing firearm without consent of minor's parent or guardian. Prohibits transfer of firearm to person convicted of endangering a minor by allowing access to a firearm for five-year period after conviction.

HB 2172 Requires person that engages in business in this state, on premises onto which person permits members of public to enter, to post in prominent location outside entry to premises sign that states person's policy with respect to permitting individuals who have license to carry concealed handgun to carry firearm onto premises.

HB 2173 Allows person harmed by criminal act resulting in physical injury or death to bring action for damages against place of public accommodation if place of public accommodation prohibits visitors from possessing firearm.

HB 2237 (Kate Brown's Indefinite Delay Bill)Prohibits transfer of firearm by gun dealer or private party if Department of State Police is unable to determine whether recipient is qualified to receive firearm. Modifies definition of relationship status pertaining to types of court orders and misdemeanor convictions that cause person to be prohibited from possessing firearms. Provides that conviction for stalking causes person to be prohibited from possessing firearm unless person obtains relief from prohibition. Punishes unlawful possession by maximum of one year's imprisonment, $6,250 fine, or both.

HB 2523 Authorizes gun dealer to accept for safekeeping firearm surrendered by person or family or household member of person who is at risk of causing physical injury to self or others with firearm. Provides civil and criminal immunity to gun dealer who accepts firearm for safekeeping.(Pointless)

HB 2526 Directs Department of Justice to establish firearm safety and suicide prevention education program, to create or approve educational materials and to provide educational materials to gun dealers.Requires gun dealers to make educational materials available to firearm purchasers. (Stupid)

HB 2592 Establishes refundable credit against personal income taxes for purchase of qualifying gun safes. Applies to tax years beginning on or after January 1, 2017, and before January 1, 2019.

HB 2617 Modifies requirements for and disqualifications from obtaining concealed handgun license. Increases portion of fee for issuance or renewal of license from $50 to $85.Increases length of time that concealed handgun license is valid.

SB 66 Requires court to notify person found guilty except for insanity of sex crime of obligation to report as sex offender.Requires court to notify person found to be person with mental illness when state or federal law prohibits person from purchasing or possessing firearm unless person obtains relief from prohibition. Requires court to notify person determined to lack fitness to proceed that federal law prohibits person from purchasing or possessing firearm unless person obtains relief from prohibition.

SB 232 Requires court to ask petitioner at hearing for family or household abuse restraining order whether respondent possesses any firearms and to record answer on order. Directs presiding judge of judicial district to adopt protocols relating to surrender of firearms by persons prohibited by court order from possessing firearms.

SB 458 Requires State Fish and Wildlife Commission to adopt controlled hunt program for hunting cougars with dogs.

SB 469 Requires gun dealer to substitute alternative fingerprint for criminal background check if firearm purchaser is unable to provide thumbprint.

SB 495 Authorizes county to regulate purchase of used firearms by pawnshops and secondhand stores

SB 546 Exempts transferee who is certified participant in Address Confidentiality Program from private firearm transfer criminal background check requirement.

SB 548 Authorizes sheriff of county to issue concealed handgun license to any qualified person who is resident of Oregon.

SB 549 Modifies certain law enforcement defenses that apply to certain firearms-related crimes. Provides honorably retired parole and probation officers with protections provided to Oregon concealed handgun license holders if officers do not have disqualifying convictions.

SB 552 Provides person licensed to carry concealed handgun in another state with protection provided to person with Oregon concealed handgun license.

SB 553 Removes Department of State Police as designated state point of contact for purposes of National Instant Criminal Background Check System. Requires gun dealer to obtain authorization to transfer firearm directly from system.

SB 554 Increases penalties for felonies having as element defendant's use or threatened use of firearm in commission of crime. Punishes by mandatory minimum term of 10 years' imprisonment for first offense. Prohibits plea agreement to crime other than felony having as element defendant's use or threatened use of firearm.

Holy crap, I was sure there would be Evil Black Rifle bans and magazine bans filed right at the start of the session. Sigh of relief that there isn't anything of the sort. Not to say they can't show up later in the season of course, gotta keep up the pressure. Maybe I can divert some of my gun budget over to my motorcycle budget though. :cool:

This Alert: Let The Games Begin, talks about some of the more bizarre bills. One of them, HB 2523, runs a circular path around last years SB 941. They want to allow people to turn in another persons gun to a FFL for safekeeping, and then give it back without any background check. I'm really surprised that intelligent people could write something with complete ignorance of the law. The authors are not only legislators, but physicians as well.

This Alert: Let The Games Begin, talks about some of the more bizarre bills. One of them, HB 2523, runs a circular path around last years SB 941. They want to allow people to turn in another persons gun to a FFL for safekeeping, and then give it back without any background check. I'm really surprised that intelligent people could write something with complete ignorance of the law. The authors are not only legislators, but physicians as well.

The authors are idiots, not physicians. Hayward has already lied to me and if she did that about a patient I'd have reported her to the board of medicine.

Having gun shops hand out suicide information is moronic. The primary reason is because as physicians, they should damn well know that mental healthcare in Portland is garbage right now. I have patients coming out of the hospital who are suicidal who have to wait for a month to see a psychiatrist for an emergency appointment. Most psychiatrists are closed or have 6-8 week waiting lists for appointments.

These garbage physicians should be using their position to kick the people running CareOregon out on their asses and put someone in that will actually get people care instead of paying for acupuncture.

Someone at a gun shop is going to have an epiphany, not kill themselves because they saw a brochure, and then wait 8 weeks for an appointment at a psychiatrist? (unless of course they have CareOregon where the treatment is "screw you!")

So freakin furious!!!!!!

Furious_Mutation.png

Now, hold on just a minute Bolus! Having gun stores hand out suicide info is a strategy.
1. Stores hand out info.
2. People still kill themselves.
3. Investigation shows the method is ineffective.
4. Blame the guns stores.
5. Add onerous requirements that gun store owners can't meet.
6. Suddenly . . . Fewer gun stores.
7. Mission accomplished!

Sheldon

Holy crap, I was sure there would be Evil Black Rifle bans and magazine bans filed right at the start of the session. Sigh of relief that there isn't anything of the sort. Not to say they can't show up later in the season of course, gotta keep up the pressure. Maybe I can divert some of my gun budget over to my motorcycle budget though. :cool:
Kate Brownstain said she dropped the mag ban crap citing a lack of support. Not that it still can't show up later but we have been given at the very least a temporary reprieve. Keep stocking up regardless though.

SB 553 Removes Department of State Police as designated state point of contact for purposes of National Instant Criminal Background Check System. Requires gun dealer to obtain authorization to transfer firearm directly from system.
As your northern neighbor I hope this one goes through. There have been a ton of threads on here from people who would easily pass their NICS but OSP has some old crap in their system holding it up which they refuse to investigate or deal with.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top