JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A bit of good news. The ATV, CHL privacy, and CHL reciprocity permits have scheduled work sessions. This means they will probably come up for a vote. Whether or not they are amended is left to be seen.

Oregon Firearms Federation
GUN BILLS SCHEDULED FOR WORK SESSION

At the last possible moment, the Senate Judiciary Committee has scheduled three gun bills that OFF has been working on all session, in some cases for more than one session.

There is no question that your tireless efforts are the reason why.

While there can certainly be changes, HB 2797 has been scheduled for May 26 at 8 AM. This bill does nothing more than clarify a lawful way to transport a handgun on a motorcycle and any firearm on a snowmobile or ATV. It is non-controversial and has had no opposition, but it is also the bill we believe most likely to be used as a vehicle to ban licensed carry in schools. So, while it is a victory that it has been scheduled, the battle is far from over. We still need to make sure the bill is not turned into something its sponsor never intended.

House Bills 2787 and 2792 are scheduled for June 1 at 8:30 AM. These two bills protect the privacy of CHL holders and recognize the concealed handgun licenses from other states respectively.

Make no mistake, it was your pressure that forced the Committee Chair to put these bills on the schedule. But we have a long way to go. As we have said, we believe there may be some very damaging amendments that could be attached to these bills, so we still need to keep the pressure on to make sure they are passed with no amendments.

Committee Chairmen typically do NOT schedule bills they don't plan to pass, but this committee is controlled by anti-gun Democrats so they might very well have some tricks up their sleeves. Don't stop now. Please contact the committee and urge them to pass these three bills as they are with no amendments. And thanks for all you have done, against all odds, so far.

They just killed the ATV bill. I'd say what I think about that but it would just get bubblegummed out.
Here's the alert from OFF Oregon Firearms Federation
They added an amendment to ban concealed carry on school property. Yeah that's a great idea huh? Good thing there weren't any CHL holders there to stop the rampage at all the other school shootings, it might hamper their anti-gun crusade.

They're currently just proposed amendments but my confidence this bill gets through without any garbage tacked on is low.

I'm conflicted. I agree with the right to bear arms. However, I have a CHL and agree with not having firearms legal in my kids' schools.

My kids' safety > gun rights

Screw that big time.

I'm conflicted. I agree with the right to bear arms. However, I have a CHL and agree with not having firearms legal in my kids' schools.

Screw that big time.

how the CRAP are your kids safety effected by law-abiding citizens not being prohibited from exercising their Constitutional right to protect their own lives?

its guys like you that have championed the almost century-long erosion of our rights.

Constitution > your delusions about safety

Screw that big time.

So...to put it politely, your view is interesting and I expect it will draw a lot of ire. Start with this: It is already illegal for anyone, including students, under the age of 18 to possess a firearm generally, let alone on school property. No one under 18 can get a CHL. If kids are getting educated and graduated at your school of concern, that leaves a small percentage of students legally able to pursue a CHL. If you are worried about the teachers or staff using their CHL piece against their students: may God help you and your children move to another district. If "public schools" covers higher education, thinking OSU/UO, that's already hotly debated with cases of CHL holders being persecuted like witches.

Would denying CHL holders their ability to carry have stopped Dylan Klebold or Seung-Hui Cho? I really don't think so. Maybe I missed something.

Screw that big time.

Bizarre. Is your real name Hillary by any chance?

Screw that big time.

Odds are your kids would be safer if schools weren't medicating kids so much with mind altering drugs like ritalin or prozac.

There's a reason shooting sprees usually take place at "gun-free zones" It's like a shooting gallery for them, nobody is going to be shooting back at them.

There's a reason shooting sprees usually take place at "gun-free zones" It's like a shooting gallery for them, nobody is going to be shooting back at them.
I like calling them "self defense free zones".
gun-free-zone-cLR.jpg

gun-free-zone-cLR.jpg

Odds are your kids would be safer if schools weren't medicating kids so much with mind altering drugs like ritalin or prozac.

You wouldn't want to be around my son without his ritalin or my daughter without her Prozac. Trust me. GREAT kids with the meds altering their brain neurotransmitters to normal levels.

Off the hijack, to the OP: I wrote my state reps. Guess it didn't matter. Dumb a$$e$.

I see your conjecture and raise mine. I'm pretty sure people have been killed at gun ranges too (re: comic above).

-Alright, show me where a CHL has prevented or helped stop a gun-wielding felon from killing someone
-I'd also wage the lot of you have no kind of training and would probably put everyone at worse risk in a gunfight on school grounds
-Since we're all making guesses here, I'll bet the majority of you have any kids in school
-Since it's legal to carry medical marijuana in some cases, it would be ok to bring that to school?

Keep your guns away from our kids' schools. Don't need 'em. See you at the range.

could you get any wronger?

-Alright, show me where a CHL has prevented or helped stop a gun-wielding felon from killing someone
Pearl High School shooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-I'd also wage the lot of you have no kind of training and would probably put everyone at worse risk in a gunfight on school grounds
i cant speak for these other guys, but i'm gonna guess you're dead wrong on this. me? i actually LEAD a regular training group.. we focus on dynamic engagements- fast accuracy, multiple targets, target identification.... all in urban CQB environments.

-Since we're all making guesses here, I'll bet the majority of you have any kids in school
i have 4 boys, working on number 5

-Since it's legal to carry medical marijuana in some cases, it would be ok to bring that to school?
you said it yourself- it's legal. why should i give a flying f-bomb what you have in your pocket?

Keep your guns away from our kids' schools. Don't need 'em. See you at the range.
no... i'll continue to have a firearm on my hip every single time i walk onto school grounds. you need a freaken education, neighbor.

I see your conjecture and raise mine. I'm pretty sure people have been killed at gun ranges too (re: comic above).

WOW. I dont know what else to say. There may be some time (god forbid) that someone puts a stop to a shooter in a school, mall, public place, etc.
I would rather someone (untrained / good Samaritan) try to save my life if I were chocking, drowning, unconscious, and in need, than otherwise. I guess if I ever see you in need I will just stand by and let nature / fate run its course.
You, my friend, are the type of person who scares me.

You wouldn't want to be around my son without his ritalin or my daughter without her Prozac. Trust me. GREAT kids with the meds altering their brain neurotransmitters to normal levels.

Off the hijack, to the OP: I wrote my state reps. Guess it didn't matter. Dumb a$$e$.

I have no reason to doubt you but I've also heard of example after example of kids who are just being kids getting put on that stuff. I didn't say it doesnt work/help people, just that it is over prescribed IMHO.

You're pretty sure... got any incident? Ever hear of an event like that on the news? Bet your arse it'd be ALL OVER the media if it did.

A recent incident comes to mind up in Washington about a CPL (CHL) holder shooting an out of control Pitbull in a park, not a "gun-wielding felon", but a Pitbull is a deadly animal that can be OUT OF CONTROL, while a firearm is an inanimate object.

There was an armed CHL holder at/near the latest shooting of Congresswman Richards and was just moments away from being in a position to do something about it, but by the time he got there he saw the assailant was already subdued and did NOT draw his weapon... it was just a "cosmic timing" thing in that case. More IMPORTANTLY quote JUST ONE incident of a CHL holder "going off" in a "gun free" zone... just one. You're response (and position) is as LAME as your wrist.

But as you wish... I call your "bluff", but ANY deadly weapon IS A DEADLY WEAPON.

Violent Mugger Fatally Shot by Concealed Carry Permit Holder | LearnAboutGuns.com*

Elderly Michigan Man Stop 3 Home Invaders with His Shotgun | LearnAboutGuns.com*

Robber Shot in Foot by Armed Citizen | LearnAboutGuns.com*

Armed Father Saves Himself and His Family from a Machete-Wielding Attacker | LearnAboutGuns.com*

Again, you lose. I spent 3-yrs. as an Army MP and used to bodyguard (with MP-5's and such) Gen. Glenn Otis (US Army Europe/NATO Central Army Group Commander In Cheif) over in Germany... then there's my 5-yr. tour in the Infantry doing ops in Central America, and finishing up as a Drill Sgt. teaching combatives, marksmanship, and Urban Warfare. I KNOW about threat assesment and use of force issues.

On another note, I know half the police officers in my town by name, and was invited to try out their shoot/no shoot training simulator (a big screen w/interactive Glock pistols), I scored 100% with only one errant shot and that was out in the middle of a field while transitioning between two armed assailants and NO COLLATERAL DAMAGE/INJURIES. I know that may all come off as corny to you (and maybe others here), but I'd say it's a safe bet the kids are safe with me packing and (God forbid) ever taking action.

Yeah, I have SIX kids in school, what's your point?

Are you 14 or something? My dad can beat up your dad.

They're MY kids and MY schools too... so suck it. If you don't FEEL you need 'em, then don't pack 'em.... and finally, I don't go the the range at clown college (or clown college in general), so you won't be seeing me there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top