JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oregon Firearms Federation
Massive Gun Ban Introduced

“This bill bans most modern firearms and magazines, requires that you register the ONE gun you will be allowed to own and allows for warrantless searches of your home. This may be one of the most extreme anti-gun bills introduced in the nation.”

Massive Gun Ban Introduced - Oregon Firearms Federation

Let me break this down for people that don't understand:
“This bill bans most modern firearms and magazines" Wrong, it won't ban most modern weapons. It will only ban modern weapons that can accept an oversized mag and one of the following:
i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(ii) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol grip;

"requires that you register the ONE gun you will be allowed to own"
Wrong, you may only own one gun that is under the description in the bill. I own 6 guns that do not meet the described guns

"allows for warrantless searches of your home"
Wrong again, it allows an ispector to come in your home and you show him your storage means. It doesn't say anywhere that he can search your home.

It seems like many of you were unable to comprehend my original post. I do not agree with this bill, I just tire of people posting things that are not the facts but some skewered representation of the facts to get people riled up. People would have been just as riled up had the actual facts been posted.

Wrong again, it allows an ispector to come in your home and you show him your storage means. It doesn't say anywhere that he can search your home.

I know you are playing devil's advocate here but this statement alone could be interpreted by the inspectors in a very dangerous way. So lets say I registered my XD compact since it has a 13 round detachable magazine as an assault weapon. So now the inspector comes by to make sure it is in my safe. I refuse because I dont really want them in my home in the first place. So I assume I'm arrested then? So I either submit to a "search" or "inspection" that I dont want or go to jail. How about they say I dont have a choice and come in anyway. Now they have to search my entire home to make sure I dont have any guns not stored correctly.

in my opinion, that is as bad as the police showing up to make sure I dont have any drugs in my house. Why shouldnt I just let them search? I dont have any drugs so I should be fine right? they would certainly never plant any drugs to meet some sort of arrest quota right?

That's why we have a third party, a judge, sign off that it is reasonable to suspect there are major illegal activities before they can come in.

You are trivializing what it means to have your storage checked.

Let me break this down for people that don't understand:
"This bill bans most modern firearms and magazines" Wrong, it won't ban most modern weapons. It will only ban modern weapons that can accept an oversized mag and one of the following:

(iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel,

"requires that you register the ONE gun you will be allowed to own"
Wrong, you may only own one gun that is under the description in the bill. I own 6 guns that do not meet the described guns

It seems like many of you were unable to comprehend my original post. I do not agree with this bill, I just tire of people posting things that are not the facts but some skewered representation of the facts to get people riled up. People would have been just as riled up had the actual facts been posted.

Any firearm that accepts a magazine may accept an oversize magazine.

Every rifle made has a shroud that partially encircles the barrel allowing the user to hold it with the non trigger hand without being burned.

The term "Inspection" is vague. It could easily be interpreted as "search"

http:// <broken link removed>

Oregon HB3200

Representative Mitch Greenlick Back to Top
Party: D District: 33
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1433
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-493, Salem, OR, 97301
Email: [email protected]
Interim Email:[email protected]

Representative Jules Bailey Back to Top
Party: D District: 42
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1442
District Phone: 503-236-3681
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-274, Salem, OR, 97301
District Office Address: PO Box 42429, Portland, OR, 97242

Representative Peter Buckley Back to Top
Party: D District: 5
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1405
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-272, Salem, OR, 97301

Representative Tobias Read Back to Top
Party: D District: 27
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1427
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-286, Salem, OR, 97301

Representative Michael Dembrow Back to Top
Party: D District: 45
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1445
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-487, Salem, OR, 97301

Representative Lew Frederick Back to Top
Party: D District: 43
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1443
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-276, Salem, OR, 97301

Representative Tobias Read Back to Top
Party: D District: 27
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1427
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-286, Salem, OR, 97301

Representative Jeff Reardon Back to Top
Party: D District: 48
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1448
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-491, Salem, OR, 97301

Representative Carolyn Tomei Back to Top
Party: D District: 41
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1441
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, H-279, Salem, OR, 97301

Senator Ginny Burdick Back to Top
Party: D District: 18
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1718
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-213, Salem, OR, 97301

Senator Jackie Dingfelder Back to Top
Party: D District: 23
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1723
District Phone: 503-493-2804
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-407, Salem, OR, 97301
District Office Address: PO Box 13432, Portland, OR, 97213

Senator Mark Hass Back to Top
Party: D District: 14
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1714
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-207, Salem, OR, 97301
District Office Address: PO Box 536, Beaverton, OR, 97075

Senator Laurie Monnes Anderson Back to Top
Party: D District: 25
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1725
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-413, Salem, OR, 97301

Senator Rod Monroe Back to Top
Party: D District: 24
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1724
District Phone: 503-760-4310
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-409, Salem, OR, 97301
District Office Address: 7802 SE 111th Ave, Portland, OR, 97266

Senator Chip Shields Back to Top
Party: D District: 22
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1722
District Phone: 503-231-2564
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-421, Salem, OR, 97301
District Office Address: 5313 N Vancouver Ave, Portland, OR, 97217

Senator Elizabeth Steiner Hayward Back to Top
Party: D District: 17
Capitol Phone: 503-986-1717
Capitol Address: 900 Court St NE, S-215, Salem, OR, 97301

So lets say I registered my XD compact since it has a 13 round detachable magazine as an assault weapon.

I suppose you could register it as an assault weapon but it wouldn't meet the requirement unless it accepted oversize magazines and one of the other requirements listed.

Millions of people must have required searches in their home or property every year. For example; if you want an irrigation system or a boiler, they require a backflow device that must be tested and inspected yearly. I admit, I am sure if you refuse the inspection more than just turning off the water to your house is going to be the end result.

Bolus, you are correct that I am trivializing what it means to have your storage checked. I had not thought about it the same way as you had until you mentioned what would happen if I said no. I personally would not allow them in without a warrant on principal alone, even if I owned no weapons that met the deffinition set forth. I stand corrected on the Warrentless searches. My bad.

I suppose you could register it as an assault weapon but it wouldn't meet the requirement unless it accepted oversize magazines and one of the other requirements listed.

Millions of people must have required searches in their home or property every year. For example; if you want an irrigation system or a boiler, they require a backflow device that must be tested and inspected yearly. I admit, I am sure if you refuse the inspection more than just turning off the water to your house is going to be the end result.

Bolus, you are correct that I am trivializing what it means to have your storage checked. I had not thought about it the same way as you had until you mentioned what would happen if I said no. I personally would not allow them in without a warrant on principal alone, even if I owned no weapons that met the deffinition set forth. I stand corrected on the Warrentless searches. My bad.

You don't register anything, you don't have illegal searches.

I can't think of any gun that accepts detachable magazines that can't accept oversize magazines. Not sure about about the XD Compact, but my USP Compact's magazine extends outside the grip, that meets requirement 4.

The 13 round pistol mentioned above is clearly and unambiguously defined as an assault weapon under this bill

(B) Semiautomatic pistol, or any semiautomatic, centerfire or rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

It need have no other characteristics other than being able to accept a magazine with 10+ rounds. The next paragraph goes on to define pistols with the following characteristics as assault weapons, regardless of magazine capacity

C) Semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one of more of the following:
(i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non- trigger hand;
(ii) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol grip;

Scout, I feel obliged to offer you an apology. You are not a Troll.

It seems that you are a Fudd, and are out of touch with most of the gun owners on this forum. It's obvious by your use of the phrase "oversize magazines".

So Mr. Fudd, exactly how many rounds would you allow me in my magazines?

Back in I believe it was 1915 the US income tax bill was passed. At the time it only went after and taxed the wealthiest of Americans a small percent so therefore most Americans were unconcerned since it did not effect them at the time. Over the decades it quickly expanded and now income taxes financially rape the American people while Congress has created extensive tax loopholes and write-offs for the upper class. FYI, I'm not dumping on the super wealthy just pointing out the pro-elitist biased realities of government.

Regardless of how little or how much this current bill goes after arms the historical reality is that government programs, policies, laws, rules, behaviors, budgets, operations, regulations, intrusions, scope of authority grow and expand over time to serve government and not the people. Anyone who does not recognize the dangerous concept of the 'slippery slope' is at best naive or at worst a pro gun control stooge.

Back in I believe it was 1915 the US income tax bill was passed. At the time it only went after and taxed the wealthiest of Americans a small percent so therefore most Americans were unconcerned since it did not effect them at the time. Over the decades it quickly expanded and now income taxes financially rape the American people while Congress has created extensive tax loopholes and write-offs for the upper class. FYI, I'm not dumping on the super wealthy just pointing out the pro-elitist biased realities of government.

Regardless of how little or how much this current bill goes after arms the historical reality is that government programs, policies, laws, rules, behaviors, budgets, operations, regulations, intrusions, scope of authority grow and expand over time to serve government and not the people. Anyone who does not recognize the dangerous concept of the 'slippery slope' is at best naive or at worst a pro gun control stooge.

another term some people in this thread have no clue about is called "in plain view" which is heavily applied during "inspections" and consent searches.

The truth of the matter is that the gun grabbers are going to continue to submit unrealistic bills that won't pass so they can either say:1) they tried and they can get reelected 2) if they go all out and we compromised on on a very small part of it, they win....or it's a gateway to more restrictions. Here's the real story, this country is scared of its government and the government is scared of its people. We are in a terrible place is this country. People who normally would not buy guns are snatching them up with the ammo, so the real gun owners out here can't get ammo to shot or the guns we need or want. It's also a huge safety concern in my book. Had a friend buy an AR couple weeks ago, he calls me asking how it works. Never before he had ever wanted this rifle. So no we have some adults who never ever touched a weapon trying to teach themselves how to be a pro, or reselling to gain huge profits. If you really think about it, this has artificially inflated the gun and ammo cost and we all know it will never go back down. Ever thought that this is what the government wanted in the first place, make the product too expensive to buy which will slash the number of avail le buyers? Just my thought, oh lack of grammar or punctuation is due to me typing on an iPad, I kinda suck at it.

Scout, I feel obliged to offer you an apology. You are not a Troll.

It seems that you are a Fudd, and are out of touch with most of the gun owners on this forum. It's obvious by your use of the phrase "oversize magazines".

So Mr. Fudd, exactly how many rounds would you allow me in my magazines?

Good one modeler614, I am sure you can really impress your pals with such witty posts. If you keep acting this cool you might even get Donna from 6th period to go to the prom with you! That would be neeto!

The 13 round pistol mentioned above is clearly and unambiguously defined as an assault weapon under this bill

(B) Semiautomatic pistol, or any semiautomatic, centerfire or rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

It need have no other characteristics other than being able to accept a magazine with 10+ rounds. The next paragraph goes on to define pistols with the following characteristics as assault weapons, regardless of magazine capacity

That says a fixed magazine that has the capacity to hold more than 10 rounds.

Scout,read it again. The fixed magazine part refers only to rifles.

The fixed part refers to the rifles. The word "or" separates "pistol" from "fixed". At least that's how I read it. My point is that under this bill a pistol with >10 round mag is an assault weapon, without needing a second characteristic to define it as such, which you seem to be suggesting. I guess one could take your interpretation also. Which way do you suppose a DA will read it?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top