JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
second-amendment-2-200px.jpg

Scout just has a different set of reading comprehension skills than everyone else on this forum. I'm sure he's reading it correctly though.

Nothing to worry about, this bill doesn't include a provision requiring you to destroy all but one of your semi-automatic rifles and allow OSP into your home once a year to inspect your firearms storage facilities. Nothing to see here. Don't worry about it. :s0054:

Just in case others are similarly lacking, let's post the pertinent text of <broken link removed> right here:

(1)(a) “Assault weapon” means any:

(A) Semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:
(i) A pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
(ii) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(iii) A folding or telescoping stock; or
(iv) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;

(Note: the Bill doesn't just cover the "scary black rifle" -- the following handguns and shotguns are also classified as "assault weapons".)

(B) Semiautomatic pistol, or any semiautomatic, centerfire or rimfire rifle with a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

(C) Semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one of more of the following:
(i) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(ii) A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;
(iii) A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or
(iv) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at any location outside of the pistol grip;

(D) Semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:
(i) A pistol grip or thumbhole stock;
(ii) Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the nontrigger hand;
(iii) A folding or telescoping stock;
(iv) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; or
(v) An ability to accept a detachable magazine;

(E) Shotgun with a revolving cylinder; and

(F) Conversion kit, part or combination of parts from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under control of the same person.

(b) “Assault weapon” does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable.

(2) “Criminal background check” has the meaning given that term in ORS 166.432.

(3) “Detachable magazine” means an ammunition feeding device that can be loaded or unloaded while detached from a firearm and readily inserted into a firearm.

(4) “Fixed magazine” means an ammunition feeding device contained in or permanently attached to a firearm in such a manner that the device cannot be removed without disassembly of the firearm action.

(5) “Large capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds or any conversion kit, part or combination of parts from which such a device can be assembled, but does not include any of the following:
(a) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds;
(b) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device; or
(c) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

SECTION 3. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful possession or transfer of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine if the person manufactures, imports, possesses, purchases, sells or transfers any assault weapon or large capacity magazine.

... (Insert various exceptions for LEOs, and for gun manufacturers who will likely leave the state upon enactment of this bill, anyway)

(3) Any person who, prior to the effective date of this law, was legally in possession of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall, within 120 days after the effective date of this 2013 Act, without being subject to prosecution:

(a) Remove the assault weapon or large capacity magazine from the state;
(b) Sell the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to a firearms dealer licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for lawful sale or transfer under subsection (2) of this section;
(c) Surrender the assault weapon or large capacity magazine to a law enforcement agency for destruction;
(d) Render the assault weapon permanently inoperable; or
(e) If eligible, register the assault weapon or large capacity magazine as provided in section 4 of this 2013 Act.

(4) A person acquiring an assault weapon or large capacity magazine by inheritance, bequest or succession shall, within 120 days after acquiring title, without being subject to prosecution under this section:

... (repeat of above -- remove, sell to FFL, destroy, surrender, or register)

(5) Unlawful possession or transfer of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine is a Class B felony.

SECTION 4. (1) Any person seeking to register an assault weapon or large capacity magazine shall do so as provided in this section within 120 days after the effective date of this 2013 Act.

(2) In order to register an assault weapon under this section, a person must:
(a) Be the lawful owner of the assault weapon prior to the effective date of this 2013 Act; and
(b) Submit to a criminal background check conducted by the Department of State Police to confirm that the person is not a prohibited possessor under ORS 166.250.

(3) In order to register a large capacity magazine under this section, a person must:
(a) Be the lawful owner of the large capacity magazine prior to the effective date of this 2013 Act; and
(b) Submit to a criminal background check conducted by the department to confirm that the person is not a prohibited possessor under ORS 166.250.

(4) A person may not register more than one assault weapon and three large capacity magazines under this section. Additional assault weapons and large capacity magazines must be disposed of in the manner specified in section 3 of this 2013 Act.

(5) A registered owner of an assault weapon or large capacity magazine is required to:
(a) Securely store the assault weapon or large capacity magazine pursuant to rules and regulations adopted by the department;
(b) Allow an inspector from the department to inspect the storage of assault weapons and large capacity magazines to ensure compliance with this subsection;
(c) Possess the assault weapon or large capacity magazine only:
(A) On property owned or immediately controlled by the registered owner;
(B) On the premises of a firearms dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for the purpose of lawful repair;
(C) While engaged in the legal use of the assault weapon or large capacity magazine at a public or private shooting range, shooting gallery or other area designed and built for the purpose of target shooting; or
(D) While transporting the weapon in a vehicle as permitted in ORS 166.250; and
(d) Report the loss or theft of a registered assault weapon or large capacity magazine to the appropriate law enforcement agency within 48 hours of the discovery of the loss or theft.
(6) A registered owner of an assault or large capacity magazine may not sell or transfer the assault weapon or large capacity magazine except to a firearms dealer or gunsmith licensed under 18 U.S.C. 923 for lawful sale or transfer under section 3 (2) of this 2013 Act or for the purpose of disposal as provided in section 3 of this 2013 Act.

SECTION 5. (1) Upon receipt of a request from a person seeking to register an assault weapon or large capacity magazine, the Department of State Police shall determine from criminal records and other available information whether the potential registrant is disqualified under ORS 166.250 from possessing the assault weapon or large capacity magazine.

(Exactly WHAT "other available information" will they use or insist that they need in order to deny your application? How long can they hold your application -- and your firearm -- while researching the "other available information"?)

(2) The department may adopt a fee schedule for criminal background checks as provided in ORS 166.414.

(3) The department shall create and maintain a registry for owners of assault weapons and large capacity magazines who qualify for registration under section 4 of this 2013 Act. The department may adopt rules concerning the administration of the registry, including but not limited to renewal and revocation procedures and storage requirements for assault weapons and large capacity magazines.

(So essentially, they can take away your ONE assault weapon -- and all your other guns, I presume -- by revoking your registration at any time, under any arbitrary rules they see fit to adopt now or at any time in the future, without limitation.)

(4) The department may conduct inspections of registered owners of assault weapons and large capacity magazines to ensure compliance with the storage requirements of section 4 of this 2013 Act.

(comment -- I'd really like to know just what constitutes an "inspection of registered owner"?)

SECTION 6. This 2013 Act being necessary for the immediate preservation of the public peace, health and safety, an emergency is declared to exist, and this 2013 Act takes effect on its passage.

It's there in plain English -- ONE and only one "assault" rifle, pistol, or shotgun per citizen. And that one weapon may no longer be carried openly, but must be kept at home except when being transported to or from a licensed gun dealer, gunsmith, or firing range.

As we say on the prepper forums, "two is one... and one is NONE."

-- Paravani

Burt Gummer,

You are correct the 2A is not about hunting. The 2A is about acknowledging the right of the people to bear arms for their own defense and freedoms against foreign or domestic government tyranny and oppression.

I will go out on a limb here and state that I 'personally' believe in background checks for private sells and do use an FFL dealer when transferring a weapon to an unknown individual. Why? to insure that I'm not committing a felony by selling a weapon to someone who is prevented from owning one in the first place. That is the only form of gun control that I will cede, and thats something I choose to do.

I am all for universal background checks provided they meet the following three criteria:

1. Exemptions are made for family members and the like.
2. The background checks are not turned into a backdoor gun registry (privacy concerns not withstanding, it's the cost that makes it unsustainable - look at Canada).
3. The checks are not turned into a revenue source or otherwise used as a sin tax to discourage purchasers. Checks much be free, and if not, fees must be minimal and not left to the discretion of state or local agencies who can increase them at will.

I am all for universal background checks provided they meet the following three criteria:

2. The background checks are not turned into a backdoor gun registry (privacy concerns not withstanding, it's the cost that makes it unsustainable - look at Canada).
3. The checks are not turned into a revenue source or otherwise used as a sin tax to discourage purchasers. Checks much be free, and if not, fees must be minimal and not left to the discretion of state or local agencies who can increase them at will.

Im against both of your concerns. Freedom under the guise of what ya'll consider a reasonable infringement is still against the 2nd amendment.

Im against both of your concerns. Freedom under the guise of what ya'll consider a reasonable infringement is still against the 2nd amendment.

I choose to do a transfer that covers my A$$ if I don't know them as a family member or close friend, buts that's my personal decision. You choose however you wish, and that's the beauty of the freedoms here that are at stake.

Did you actually read what is proposed or just quote what someone else said? I read the whole thing and it doesnt ban most modern firearms and magazines it is mostly an assault rifle and large cap magazine ban. There are no warrantless searches of your home, if you choose to keep the large cap mags or assault rifle then you must meet certain guidlines including an inspection of your secure storage. I would suggest reading what is being introduced and forming your own opinion and argument rather than believing what someone else says.
Don't get me wrong I dont agree with what is being proposed, I just tire of people spreading rumors and overexagerating just to get people all riled up.
Die, FUDD.
Urban Dictionary: fudd

And, no, that wasn't a threat, it was a request.

Except this bill isn't just universal background checks- it's making ordinary firearms owners criminals overnight and authorizing warrant less searches. This bill flat out creates a firearms registry. It could trigger a freaking civil war! Worst. bill. Ever.

Except this bill isn't just universal background checks- it's making ordinary firearms owners criminals overnight and authorizing warrant less searches. This bill flat out creates a firearms registry. It could trigger a freaking civil war! Worst. bill. Ever.

Just universal background checks alone is worthy of a civil war. Its 6 states wanting to force their will upon 44 states on the federal level. Over 2/3rds of the states are against it.

Why would any member of this forum go along with any more infringements of our constitutional rights??? How will more laws- especially laws like this one- have any effect at all on someone who already ignores current law??? And didn't these a-holes swear an oath to UPHOLD the constitution of the United States? In what reality is the act of defecating on the bill of rights considered "upholding" the constitution?

It wouldn't surprise me a bit to learn that right after the honorable Joe Biden gave his little pep-talk to the fine legislators of Colorado, his next stop was Salem...

I tried using the auto-mailer from the OFF website but I keep getting bounce back stating "unable to deliver mail". Anyone else having this trouble?
Maybe they just won't accept email from Southern Oregon?

I tried using the auto-mailer from the OFF website but I keep getting bounce back stating "unable to deliver mail". Anyone else having this trouble?
Maybe they just won't accept email from Southern Oregon?

The OFF website and potentially the state's e-mail system has been overloaded this weekend from the sheer volume of mail sent :)

OFF is working on a fix; in the mean time you can send your e-mails from your personal e-mail account. I've sent a total of 5 today and none have been kicked back. I even got a reply to one of them!

I choose to do a transfer that covers my A$$ if I don't know them as a family member or close friend, buts that's my personal decision. You choose however you wish, and that's the beauty of the freedoms here that are at stake.

So far, I have only sold my guns to gun dealers. My reason is to 1) create an extra legal protection barrier for myself, should a future owner of the gun I originally bought new, eventually be used in a crime. I realize that I am probably being overly cautious. My 2) reason is more on the moral level in that if a gun I sold (in good faith) to someone unethically harms other(s) it would really upset me.

For the record, I will not vote or support universal background checks since I believe law abiding citizens should have the right to buy and sell guns, and I don't trust government not to permanently keep records. It does not seem to be the nature of government to destroy information it can use for its own selfish benefits to gain greater control over the American people. It is the nature of government to destroy information and deny knowledge of an issue that proves it broke the law, was irresponsible, and unethical.

OFF bounced my emails, too -- I think the gubmint servers were overloaded -- so I'll be sending my letters to our democratic elected servants one-by-one from my regular email account. I will say, though, that OFF's "undelivered" notices will make the process pretty easy with just a little cut-n-paste.

-- Paravani

View attachment 146175

I've started stamping all of our cash with the message

&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&#917;!
Gun Owner Money

-- and with both Washington and Oregon considering "citizen control" bills, we've decided to pay for everything with cash instead of by card.

The stamp was ordered from Vistaprint online, which allows you to custom-make your own stamp with any words or images you like. For instance, you could stamp your money with:

second-amendment-2-200px.jpg

Yeah... just like that.

:s0112:

-- Paravani

I've started stamping all of our cash with the message
&#924;&#927;&#923;&#937;&#925; &#923;&#913;&#914;&#917;!
Gun Owner Money

-- Paravani

The fiat currency Americans use are monopoly money tied to the privately owned Federal Reserve a banking cartel serving the financial service industry so why not stamp it? :s0114:

If you choose to deal with sketch balls, there is a form civilians can get from the BATF that allows you to do background check with a creditcard on the spot. I don't remember the name or number of said form but It's available.
And for number 2&3 on your list....you don't think a government would do such a thing do you ( there only here to help,right)? LOL.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top