JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

Was wondering if you could help me answer a question that my family and I have been wondering about. My uncle lives in Oregon and would like to give me one of his pistol as a gift. I live in Washington state. Does he have to mail it to my local FFL here in WA to receive his gift? Do I only pay transfer fees or are there unknown taxes etc involved?

I have never done this before and I don't want to break any laws by owning a gifted gun. Please guide me to the exact laws on how to handle this when i'm a WA resident.

thank you so much for your time,

-G

Not sure about crossing state line. Perhaps others can chime in. I think he can drive it across state line.

RCW 9.41.113
Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.

(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

Your uncle needs to get the handgun to a WA state FFL and the transfer needs to take place thru the FFL.

He can ship it or he can physically take it there.

Federal law applies when there is an interstate transfer and the state law exception for intra family transfers does not override the federal law regarding handgun transfers.

Your uncle needs to get the handgun to a WA state FFL and the transfer needs to take place thru the FFL.

He can ship it or he can physically take it there.

Federal law applies when there is an interstate transfer and the state law exception for intra family transfers does not override the federal law regarding handgun transfers.

This right here!

Not sure about crossing state line. Perhaps others can chime in. I think he can drive it across state line.

RCW 9.41.113
Firearm sales or transfers—Background checks—Requirements—Exceptions.

(a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, parents-in-law, children, siblings, siblings-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift or loan;

Not if the family members live in different states!

@The Heretic is spot on.

Sounds great! He will be traveling to visit me in the near future and we will stop by a local FFL location to do the transfer! Can't wait! lol.. Happy Holiday all!

-G

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads