JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The results are shakily coming in tonight. I haven't got mine, but several buddies were able to check theirs.
How did you do? I hope someone here pulled that once in a lifetime tag. Good luck to all and hunt safe

That's a couple of nice elk tags there. Real nice!
Drew the chesnimnus first season rifle elk tags....:)
Pulling one out of Chesnimus is a lot of work, I hope yours is less steep Ken. I would have loved to have a horse there.
Ochoco 2nd elk (rifle).

I at first was thinking spike. But being a draw I looked it up and it looks like any bull. Sweet! Some real trophies in Ochocos. Good luck!
silvies buck deer
My buddies drew Silvies for deer also! First time hunting it for them. I may join in on a scouting trip soon. Love to see one of them get a big desert mulie (or you Volcom too)
Bah! You guys crashed the system. I could not log in.
I still can't log in to check mine either.:mad:

Had 18 years of preference points for Wenaha bull tag but still didn't draw it. I've heard of certain landowners who've drawn that tag multiple times, which seems highly improbable. Of course last year with a spike tag in that same unit I didn't even see an elk. But plenty of wolf sign and howling. Hopefully they save a big bull for me next year.

There are so many wolves in NE Oregon (Mt Emily/Wenaha/Sled Springs units), we should make "wolves" extra plural. Like "Wolveses"

Controversy is prevalent over whether wolf packs, Wolveses, drive elk out or not. I personally believe they do, from experience, observation, and anecdotes of friends. However, at least one member has shared pics of big elk harvested on Mt. Emily after wolves were already verified. Maybe the wolves were on vacay?

Sorry for the thread drift, but I'd like to hear from members that have hunted a unit where they saw both wolves AND elk, and what year if any. A bit late now, but maybe info will help hunters decide which unit is a tag wasted. After all, a look at the harvest numbers, tag success, given by ODFW for each unit is pretty depressing for last year!

bb

Depending on the size of their property holdings, landowners do not have to participate in the draw to get tags. They are allocated to them depending on acreage.
Usually I have found a spike tag (or deer tag) gets you first class viewing of branch antlered bulls. No doubt wolveses are establishing themselves. Even the footdraggers at ODFW now will admit it.

Controversy is prevalent over whether wolf packs, Wolveses, drive elk out or not. I personally believe they do, from experience, observation, and anecdotes of friends. However, at least one member has shared pics of big elk harvested on Mt. Emily after wolves were already verified. Maybe the wolves were on vacay?

Sorry for the thread drift, but I'd like to hear from members that have hunted a unit where they saw both wolves AND elk, and what year if any. A bit late now, but maybe info will help hunters decide which unit is a tag wasted. After all, a look at the harvest numbers, tag success, given by ODFW for each unit is pretty depressing for last year!

bb

Last year opening morning, way to my left I heard elk (bull bugling) down in the canyon, and to my left wolves howling. That's the last time I heard any elk (and didn't see any, or any fresh tracks) that entire season. And I hunted hard (walking 4-5 hours) every day. Elk got pushed out didn't come back. Sometimes that happens too with a lot of hunters in the area, but usually elk will do a big loop or circuit and later in the season you can get back into them again. Not that time.

Anyway, good luck to everyone who drew tags this year. Be safe and happy hunting.

Depending on the size of their property holdings, landowners do not have to participate in the draw to get tags. They are allocated to them depending on acreage.
Usually I have found a spike tag (or deer tag) gets you first class viewing of branch antlered bulls. No doubt wolveses are establishing
themselves. Even the footdraggers at ODFW now will admit it.

True. I've not researched it, but I wonder if those LOP tags still count towards the total number of big bull tags allocated for the unit. If so, anyone without 160 contiguous acres or whatever the minimum is, doesn't get a taste of drawing multiple big bull tags. The haves and the havenots, I suppose. That's life.

After all, a look at the harvest numbers, tag success, given by ODFW for each unit is pretty depressing for last year!

The spike only tag success results esp for Wenaha have been abysmal over the last 10 or so years. I thought I saw for a few of the more recent years it'd been under 10 percent success rate. I've gotten lucky the past few seasons that I've actually drawn a spike tag, but not last year. If I could eat wolf track soup I'd be ok.

Last Edited:

bb
i saw wolves, cougar kittens and a couple elk in ukiah during buck deer season last year. did not see 1 buck. maybe saw 20 doe total. we went from our group of 7 limiting out every year for nearly 20 years down to 2 guys filling their tags to the last 2 years getting completely skunked. a co worker told me a similar story about his hunt in heppner last year. we're hunting silvies unit this year.

Usually I have found a spike tag (or deer tag) gets you first class viewing of branch antlered bulls

ODFW made elk season during the deer rut, and deer season during the elk rut. Man, I've had some stare downs from animals in the rut!!! Aggressive f'ers!! A friend had an elk ranch and we couldn't even get close to the fence during rut!!

If I could eat wolf track soup I'd be ok.

Oh I've seen hair running across a bare hill just above Cove OR on the east side of the Grande Ronde Valley. My old bozz has seen wolves a number of times while hunting Mt. Emily. They're losing their fear of man?

i saw wolves, cougar kittens and a couple elk in ukiah during buck deer season last year. did not see 1 buck. maybe saw 20 doe total. we went from our group of 7 limiting out every year for nearly 20 years down to 2 guys filling their tags to the last 2 years getting completely skunked. a co worker told me a similar story about his hunt in heppner last year. we're hunting silvies unit this year.

Exact same story for me!!! ... When I started back to hunting elk when I moved back from Brookings, I went with my buddies to the Ukiah unit. We got elk every year. Best year was 7 elk for 8 tags. Then it tapered off when we started spotting cougar sitting just off the road watching cars going by, and also a few hunters taking cougar out during elk season. When we went 2 years w/o elk, we switched to the Mt. Emily spike hunt and did well for 2 more years, then nothing for two years. Didn't even see any. Same deal in Sled Springs. Switched back to Ukiah the season before last and got one forked horn down in the dense stuff. None of us went last year because of illness/injuries to family members.

Buds put in for Ukiah again... I haven't checked their draw success but I will because I still like to go to elk camp even tho I've not been hunting for a few years.

Last Edited:
ODFW made elk season during the deer rut, and deer season during the elk rut. Man, I've had some stare downs from animals in the rut!!! Aggressive f'ers!! A friend had an elk ranch and we couldn't even get close to the fence during rut!!

Oh I've seen hair running across a bare hill just above Cove OR on the east side of the Grande Ronde Valley. My old bozz has seen wolves a number of times while hunting Mt. Emily. They're losing their fear of man?

Exact same story for me!!! ... When I started back to hunting elk when I moved back from Brookings, I went with my buddies to the Ukiah unit. We got elk every year. Best year was 7 elk for 8 tags. Then it tapered off when we started spotting cougar sitting just off the road watching cars going by, and also a few hunters taking cougar out during elk season. When we went 2 years w/o elk, we switched to the Mt. Emily spike hunt and did well for 2 more years, then nothing for two years. Didn't even see any. Switched back to Ukiah the season before last and got one forked horn down in the dense stuff. None of us went last year because of illness/injuries to family members.

Buds put in for Ukiah again... I haven't checked their draw success but I will because I still like to go to elk camp even tho I've not been hunting for a few years.
best of luck to your buds man. its been a rough go for us in ukiah. thats huntin tho!

pearson ridge aint what it used to be!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top