JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I rolled in to my local Safeway station to fill up my truck with diesel this morning. The guy hooks me up and then grabs a clip board and goes to the back of my truck and starts writing down the license plate. I ask him what's up with that. He tells me he is supposed to write it down because they have the new B20 blend biodiesel and they're trying to figure out if they can lower fuel taxes so he has to write down the license plate and the gallons pumped. I looked at the form and it was clearly labeled as Oregon Department of Transportation but the smaller print is illegible (probably from too many copies).

So I'm having a bit of a hard time swallowing the story he gave me and I can't seem to find anything on the net about it. Anyone else having a similar experience? I'm finding it difficult to think they're figuring anything useful out with those data points.

I figured I wouldn't worry about it too much right now... heck... at least its proof that I got that new fuel on this date in case my truck goes gunnybag by running it.

So there is a fuel tax "forgiveness" on certain biodiesel on-road fuel. The question is: does the seller pass this tax break on to the vehicle owner/operator in the form of a lower price, or does the seller just pocket the difference? Or does ODOT send a refund check to the owner/operator at the end of the year (based on the license plate number), having received an interest-free loan in the interim?

I see... guess we'll see what happens but that makes sense with the license plate... gives them what kind of rig its going in. I figured there had to be a better explanation and there it is!

Dunno, maybe there is some type of credit you can claim on your Oregon Income Tax. Looks like it is only for larger businesses. I suspect that if you claim a tax credit your license would have to show up on one of their forms so ODOR knows that your are not cheating.

Lower fuel taxes? When our highways and bridges in this country are crumbling? Because of higher mileage vehicles mandated by the guberment don't pay what they need in fuel taxes already to fix the roads and bridges?

SWEET!

:s0125:

i hear they don't lower the cost of the fuel but just pocket the extra at the stations but i suspect that is a case by case basis for each station.

I was concerned about mileage as well but it doesn't seem to have suffered at all. 19.75 mpg mostly highway but a little in town thrown in there. Been running 21 on straight highway so I don't figure that's too out of whack.

Sequental makes that French fry go juice right across from where we park our dump trucks. And the place we get fuel looked into it. No advantage in mileage and they couldn't make enough to supply even the one of the 3 dump truck fleets that would be fueling there.

Interesting thing my truck a 1998 gets 4.5-4.7mpg running loaded (105,500 GVW) and the newer trucks with the so called cleaner burning fuel and newer engines get 3.8 to 4.0 MPGs

and when you burn up 50-70 gallons a day that many tenths is HUGE.

Sequental makes that French fry go juice right across from where we park our dump trucks. And the place we get fuel looked into it. No advantage in mileage and they couldn't make enough to supply even the one of the 3 dump truck fleets that would be fueling there.

Interesting thing my truck a 1998 gets 4.5-4.7mpg running loaded (105,500 GVW) and the newer trucks with the so called cleaner burning fuel and newer engines get 3.8 to 4.0 MPGs

and when you burn up 50-70 gallons a day that many tenths is HUGE.

We noticed the same things burning the fry oil crap. I hate fueling my truck in Portland because of their mandated bio-blends. My truck is an'03 which averaged 9-10 mpg when we got it it's down to 8 or so now and the bio-juice drops that lower. When the ULSD mandate went in, you saw trucks take a hit. When they mandated the DEF bs you saw a performance hit and increase cost. Every time the government mandates crap like this engine performance and mpg suffer but supposedly this is helping the baby seals in polar bears :rolleyes:. burning more fuel issomehow better for the environment.

MPG is a simple math problem their is X amount of energy in a gallon of fuel. Nothing you can do to the fuel will make more energy come out of it. If you dilute it with a fuel like Alcohol or in the case of Diesel cooking oil you will have fuel with less total energy in each gallon.

It takes a certain amount of energy to accelerate Y amount of weight, rolling resistance, and wind resistance up to speed and to keep it there.

Sure you can change the gear ratios in the tranny and the final drive to keep the engine at its torque sweet spot. But Mileage to Weight really hasn't changed much at all since the 60's

A Chevy Nova with a 4 banger got almost 30 mpg in 1962
A Chevy Malibu wagon with a 195hp 283 and a power glide could get 22-25Mpg on the freeway in 1965.

And in 1979 a Honda Accord would get 41 Mpg all day long on the freeway (cause it weighed less then the above to examples.

Anyone know what a Honda Accord Base model gets now? 4cyl 2.4L Manual gets 28 combined and 34 freeway.

No why look at the weight difference

1979 Accord 2024 lbs curb weight
2014 Accord 3192lbs curb weight

Any advance in milage has been wasted on dragging around more weight.

Want to increase milage and reduce consumption and energy waste? Get ride of electric windows. As an example

MPG is a simple math problem their is X amount of energy in a gallon of fuel. Nothing you can do to the fuel will make more energy come out of it. If you dilute it with a fuel like Alcohol or in the case of Diesel cooking oil you will have fuel with less total energy in each gallon.

It takes a certain amount of energy to accelerate Y amount of weight, rolling resistance, and wind resistance up to speed and to keep it there.

Sure you can change the gear ratios in the tranny and the final drive to keep the engine at its torque sweet spot. But Mileage to Weight really hasn't changed much at all since the 60's

A Chevy Nova with a 4 banger got almost 30 mpg in 1962
A Chevy Malibu wagon with a 195hp 283 and a power glide could get 22-25Mpg on the freeway in 1965.

And in 1979 a Honda Accord would get 41 Mpg all day long on the freeway (cause it weighed less then the above to examples.

Anyone know what a Honda Accord Base model gets now? 4cyl 2.4L Manual gets 28 combined and 34 freeway.

No why look at the weight difference

1979 Accord 2024 lbs curb weight
2014 Accord 3192lbs curb weight

Any advance in milage has been wasted on dragging around more weight.

Want to increase milage and reduce consumption and energy waste? Get ride of electric windows. As an example

It's a lot of emissions controls and mandatory crap like airbags crumple zones etc that have added weight. Plus americans like bloated crap - the new accords are huge compared to their earlier counterparts.

Every politician mandated "emission control" device adds weight, and reduces engine efficiency. Do an EGR and DEF delete and you get more power and better fuel econ in the same truck.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top