JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a native Oregonian who had an Oregon CWP, but after moving to Washington State I neglected to renew it. I now understand it is harder to get one through Multnomah and surrounding counties.

I have been told there is an Oregon sheriff that travels to Washington State to issue Oregon Concealed Weapons Permits. If this is true, can anyone tell me which sheriff it is so I can contact him?

Any help is much appreciated.

Oregon does not have a Concealed Weapons Permit. The State only issues Concealed HANDGUN Permits

I know a fine point but still a point. The permit does not allow you to say carry a 6" blade hunting knife hidden from view. Or a big screwdriver. Both considered weapons under the law.

There is a recent thread that mentions the Sherrif and a recent visit.

Thanks Old Hick! I knew the Grant County sheriff was friendly and I called and talked to his Civil Deputy, Sally DeFord, to see if it was Sheriff Palmer. She said it was not him!! This is what led me to post the question here. Now I'm a bit confused, so will call them again on Monday. By the way, in case anyone wants to get it direct from Palmer, you have to spend a night (or drive a lot) in Canyon City (John Day), and call them to insure they will be there. As well, they only take apps on Wednesday's!

Oh, also, as I am sure you guys are aware, the Oregon Senate is now in the process of reviewing HB2792 (HB 2792 :: Oregon Legislature Bill Tracker - Your Government - The Oregonian). If passed (already passed through the House), Oregon will recognize out-of-state Concealed permits.

I was going to apply for a out of state Oregon chl until I heard this bill was being introduced this year. I am exited for it, cant wait for the out come. I am also hoping that if it passes that Washington will recognize Oregon's. If I understand Washington reasoning right for not recognizing Or. it should. I will be contacting my reps on this.

I was going to apply for a out of state Oregon chl until I heard this bill was being introduced this year. I am exited for it, cant wait for the out come. I am also hoping that if it passes that Washington will recognize Oregon's. If I understand Washington reasoning right for not recognizing Or. it should. I will be contacting my reps on this.

I think Washington extends reciprocity to states that honor its permit. I looked it up at one point but can't remember for sure.

I think Washington extends reciprocity to states that honor its permit. I looked it up at one point but can't remember for sure.

Wa. only honers permits from a state that has laws equal to or more strict than Wa. and the other state must enter into a reciprocity agreement. It is not an automatic just because they accept ours.

Thanks Old Hick! I knew the Grant County sheriff was friendly and I called and talked to his Civil Deputy, Sally DeFord, to see if it was Sheriff Palmer. She said it was not him!! This is what led me to post the question here. Now I'm a bit confused, so will call them again on Monday. By the way, in case anyone wants to get it direct from Palmer, you have to spend a night (or drive a lot) in Canyon City (John Day), and call them to insure they will be there. As well, they only take apps on Wednesday's!

It is most definitely Sheriff Palmer that issues to out of state residents and he has come to Vancouver twice to take applications. Who ever it was that you talked to was dead wrong. I would e-mail Sheriff Palmer and let him know what you were told because that is against what he has directed his staff to do. **** he even went so far as to direct his deputies to accept permits from any state.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top