Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Oregon CWP Question

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by RoadAstronaut, Jul 20, 2010.

1. RoadAstronaut

RoadAstronaut Vancouver,WA New Member

I am going to turn in my application to get my out of state CWP from Oregon next week and I was told one of the things I needed was a letter stating reasons why I needed to carry in the state. I have a WA. permit currently and I thought it wouldn't hurt to get some suggestions on how to word this letter.
    Thanks

2. Mr. Black

Mr. Black Zigzag, OR Member

It may just be for residents, but Oregon is a "shall issue" state. Meaning they must issue you the permit with the exception that you aren't allowed to.

And Oregon doesn't have a CWP (concealed weapons permit), Oregon has a CHL (concealed handgun license) which limits your carry options to a handgun only.

My Florida CWP would allow me to carry knives, batons, etc concealed.

3. matt_w

matt_w Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Oregon is "may issue" for out of state residents. I hear it is very hard to get one, with the exception of Sheriff Glen Palmer of Grant County.

4. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Type up a letter that simply states that you have friends, family, and business to attend to in Oregon.
    State that a great portion of your day is spent on the Oregon side of the border.

End with:
    "For these reasons of doing business and recreating in this state, I believe that I am eligible to be licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
    Thank you for your consideration."

5. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

WA, it's a CPL (Concealed Pistol License). I have both WA and OR and have had for about 20 years now. It's NOT hard to get an Oregon CHL, they have dropped the requirement for a letter from the WA Health Dept certifiying that you've never been committed to a mental institution. Nor do they require a letter from your employer on their letterhead stating that it's OK for you to have a CHL like they used to require.

Mine is from Multnomah County

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC member
    ACSWW member

6. BroncoFan

BroncoFan Eastern Oregon Well-Known Member

Apply over here through Grant County with Sheriff Palmer. As long as your background is clean he will issue a permit.

7. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

I applied in Multnomah county back in April and this is the letter I wrote, had my CHL within 2-3 weeks.

"Dear Sheriff Staton:
    I routinely travel to and within Oregon for business, travel, and vacation. I respectfully request that your office issue me an Oregon Concealed Handgun License so I may carry a hand-gun, in accordance with OR law, for personal protection while within the state of Oregon."

8. DAN L

DAN L VANCOUVER, WA New Member

as a washington resident and ccl holder, i got my permit from the sheriff in columbia county in st. helens, or. i wrote a letter stating that i travel and camp extensively in columbia county.
    don't forget you need the oregon ''gun course safety'' course certificate. i got mine from ''the place to shoot'' in portland.

Indoor handgun range

after turning in my app, paying the fees, and being interviewed by the sheriff by appointment, i received my permit in the mail in about 2 weeks.:thumbup:

9. coctailer

That is where I got mine.
    Multnomah County Sheriff was fast and easy. Plus it only takes a couple minutes to get there from Vancouver.

10. RoadAstronaut

Thank you very much for the great input on how to take care of this. I am going to Medford so on the way I am stopping at Grants Pass to take care of business. Thanks again

11. theorren

theorren Medford Member

12. RoadAstronaut

Thank you theorren that does help me save lots of time.

13. deen_ad

You haven't been stuck in bridge traffic lately have you? :huh:

We ate at Shari's in Delta Park Sunday, got done about 7:00 pm, it took us almost an hour to get across the I-5 bridge. Newspaper has had stories about how bad the traffic jams are. I don't go to Portland unless I can be across the bridge by 2:00 pm. Glad I don't work in downtown Portland anymore. :thumbup: :thumbup:

14. RoadAstronaut

I drive tractor trailer for ups and I deal with that mess going over the bridge M-F and believe me I know all about sitting in traffic. Take care

15. Decidion

Decidion Washington county, Oregon Member

Nice...minimized waiting period in Josephine. In Washington County, you have to wait about 3 weeks just to get in for your fingerprints/picture/etc. Then its about 3-4 week wait to actually get the CPL.

16. deen_ad

Please read the quotes so you don't respond to the wrong post.

Deen
    NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
    WAC Member
    ACSWW Member

17. coctailer

No I haven't. I breeze right across.:D