JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Oregon legislature just passed a gun control measure that substantially weakens constitutional rights. Senate Bill 719 will allow a family member or a police officer to obtain a civil court order immediately stripping someone of the right to possess a firearm for up to a year, if a judge finds the person presents a danger to himself or others.

Proponents hail the law as an effective way to prevent suicides. Sen. Brian Boquist (R-Dallas) argues that it will bring the number of veteran suicides down. Gun control crusader Gabrielle Giffords has called it a "responsible bill that helps keep guns out of the hands of individuals who are experiencing a mental health crisis."

Paul Phillips, president of the group Oregon Gun Owners, retorts that the bill does little to prevent suicides but does deprive gun owners of basic constitutional protections. Gun confiscations under SB 719 will be "based on hearsay evidence alone, and the firearm owner is not privy to a fair trial," he says.

bill, any law enforcement officer and family member—including partners, siblings, or even roommates—can request a hearing with a judge to get a "extreme risk protection order." If issued, this would prohibit a person from possessing or purchasing a firearm.

At that hearing, which has to be held within one judical day of being requested, the judge will decide whether to issue the order, which goes into effect immediately.

Oregon Cracks Down on Gun Rights in the Name of Suicide Prevention

I'm rather shocked by some comments on other forums. Some gun owners see absolutely nothing wrong with this and point out that it's perfectly acceptable where they live. I think the boiling frog analogy is appropriate here. I think it goes along with the acceptance of live fire tests for CHL in some states, the prohibition of concealed carry within eyesight of alcohol, and Firearms Owner ID card laws in some states.

I'll never understand what is unclear about Shall Not Be Infringed

Seems to me like they had people committing suicide with their guns
at the time the Bill of Rights was dreamed up, so any question of my right to commit suicide & anyway I wish to has already been thought-out

Perhaps We the People need an enumerated right to off ourselves,
just so there's no questions for later

Anyone find it ironic that Oregon was the first with a death with dignity law, and now wants to stop suicides?
I (had) a brother who had his options cut short by an OSHU death panel. Go ahead and ask me how I feel about the progressive politicians in this state.

I'm rather shocked by some comments on other forums. Some gun owners see absolutely nothing wrong with this and point out that it's perfectly acceptable where they live. I think the boiling frog analogy is appropriate here. I think it goes along with the acceptance of live fire tests for CHL in some states, the prohibition of concealed carry within eyesight of alcohol, and Firearms Owner ID card laws in some states.

Goes along with OSP blocking Mossberg and the TAC 14 inch shotgun sales... ATF calls them LEGAL..... Oregon is making up their OWN Rules!!!!

I call BS!!!!!

Anyone find it ironic that Oregon was the first with a death with dignity law, and now wants to stop suicides?
Not only were they the first with death with dignity but now they are mandating insurance companies cover abortions at no charge. The liberal hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me. Ultimately it has nothing to do with saving lives and everything to do with controlling the citizenry...

This isn't Australia and a few people are not going to make the rules for the rest of us regardless how much paper and ink they use.

Not only were they the first with death with dignity but now they are mandating insurance companies cover abortions at no charge. The liberal hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me. Ultimately it has nothing to do with saving lives and everything to do with controlling the citizenry...

The hypocrisy is why I'm staying a republican. They aren't perfect by any means...unless you consider Ron Paul then I would say yes that's as close to perfect as you get... minus the hard drugs he thinks should be legal to emphasize on free choice...

Liberals who blindly vote Democrat are the dumbest people in America. Most of you would not guess I grew up in a democrat family. Why did I go my own way? Because I felt it the Democrats we're always gunning to undermine the Constitution. Not just with guns but freedom of speech. This new bill is actually very scary because it can violate a person freedom of speech. This why I have been warning you all to delete Facebook. Maybe your spouse has libtard buddies? Maybe you're still in touch with libtards on there? Whatever it is, delete Facebook. I grew up in Corvallis and as far as I care most of those yuppy a@$#oles who ruined my home town would totally report someone they know just because they hate guns. Wouldn't matter if nothing horrible was said or they took something out of context. This is the last time I'm bringing it up on this website but delete Facebook!!

The Democrats are making Hitler proud. Fool the masses, disarm the public, and arrest said public for not going along with Utopia.

As long as there has been "gun control" there have been gun owners who parrot the "we need compromise", or "common sense." What they never seem to get is the left never stops. There is no compromise. To the left it only means take some now and come back next week for more. Bill Ruger Sr. is a great example of this. As was that outdoor writer (Zumbo the dumbo) who lost his gravy dream job by shooting off his mouth with this rhetoric about how some guns are of no used to law abiding citizens.

The hypocrisy is why I'm staying a republican. They aren't perfect by any means...unless you consider Ron Paul then I would say yes that's as close to perfect as you get... minus the hard drugs he thinks should be legal to emphasize on free choice...

Liberals who blindly vote Democrat are the dumbest people in America. Most of you would not guess I grew up in a democrat family. Why did I go my own way? Because I felt it the Democrats we're always gunning to undermine the Constitution. Not just with guns but freedom of speech. This new bill is actually very scary because it can violate a person freedom of speech. This why I have been warning you all to delete Facebook. Maybe your spouse has libtard buddies? Maybe you're still in touch with libtards on there? Whatever it is, delete Facebook. I grew up in Corvallis and as far as I care most of those yuppy a@$#oles who ruined my home town would totally report someone they know just because they hate guns. Wouldn't matter if nothing horrible was said or they took something out of context. This is the last time I'm bringing it up on this website but delete Facebook!!

The Democrats are making Hitler proud. Fool the masses, disarm the public, and arrest said public for not going along with Utopia.

I grew up with 2 parents who were blind Democrats. To them all that mattered on the ballot was the D. As I was growing up I noticed when something happened that set them off it was Democrats. Every time the law makers would come up with some new regulation that screwed them they would scream. Well it didn't take me long to see that EVERY time this happened it was Democrat lawmakers who did it. When I would ask them about this they would get mad. So they voted for people who were screwing them. Then blamed the party who had nothing to do with it. As I have said many times living here I have to vote for a Democrat. In many local races that's all there is that can win. So I pick the best one.

And another thing! I see mental health problems with liberals all the time...in their daily life. Again...I drive for a job and I'm getting sick and tired of people killing themselves or others because people can't be happy with 5 over or stay the f-off cell phones. I see countless OSU students walking into streets gazing at their own feet. Why? Electronic devices. Everyone has to be bumper to bumper in order to function. I and many others miss our lunch, late getting home, because we have a real crises with bad driving. But no...let's focus on the guns that are probably resulting in less death by a huge amount. I seriously hate Democrats.

Last Edited:
At that hearing, which has to be held within one judical day of being requested, the judge will decide whether to issue the order, which goes into effect immediately.

Wow. That's a pretty austere interpretation of due process for an order with a possible one year duration. I would think this law would be declared in violation of the 5th Amendment without some provision for the aggrieved party to contest the findings on a timely basis and present evidence in his or her favor.

Wow. That's a pretty austere interpretation of due process for an order with a possible one year duration. I would think this law would be declared in violation of the 5th Amendment without some provision for the aggrieved party to contest the findings on a timely basis and present evidence in his or her favor.
Who needs due process... the democrats and one republican in the Oregon House and Senate know what's best for us. Hail to our political overlords!

Suicide is part of the freedom to choose

Isn't this the state that was the first to legalize suicide? Is the problem that if someone uses a gun that the state doesn't get their cut like they would in the Dr's Income tax and the taxes paid by the facility?

The real problem as has already been stated is that it's a tool to take a citizens guns without due process.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top