JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
<broken link removed>

REDMOND, Ore. (AP) — A police lieutenant in central Oregon has been arrested on charges that he sold firearms and other items stolen while he ran the Redmond Police Department's armory.

Larry Prince, 48, was arrested earlier this week in Coos Bay by Oregon State Police and federal agents with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, The Bulletin newspaper reported.

Prince was charged with official misconduct, theft and forgery.

The 16-year veteran of the Redmond Police Department was put on paid administrative leave on Dec. 30 after an inventory audit of the armory revealed discrepancies, said Redmond Police Chief Dave Tarbet.

Prince was in charge of the department's armory for about 10 years until he was reassigned late last year.

Tarbet said Prince's reassignment was the result of an administrative reorganization and predates the discovery of discrepancies at the armory.

As manager of the armory, Prince would not have been responsible for past audits and inventories, Tarbet said.

Redmond human resources director Sharon Harris said Prince receives full pay while on administrative leave but she declined to identify his exact salary, saying the range for a lieutenant is between $5,515 and $6,779 per month.

Prince's wife, Shelley Prince, also is a police officer with the Redmond department, earning between $4,032 and $5,404 per month, Harris said.

Deschutes County records suggest some financial difficulties in recent months for the Princes, who received a notice of foreclosure in November on a $541,000 mortgage on a home they own in Redmond.

Records indicate the couple has not made a mortgage payment since May 2010, resulting in a total delinquency of nearly $26,000. The couple also owes more than $5,000 in back property taxes.

Shelley Prince filed for divorce from Larry Prince in November. Contacted by phone, Shelley Prince declined to comment.

The Deschutes County District Attorney's Office issued a brief statement about the investigation Wednesday, commending the integrity of the police department for bringing the discovery of potential misconduct to the attention of investigators.

In a written statement issued Wednesday, Tarbet said the investigation has already prompted changes in the department's inventory management. He also asked for community support and understanding, saying the department "staff and officers are hardworking, honest, and ethical men and women whose intentions are to serve the citizens of this community."

The police chief said he could not go into detail about the stolen items but said Prince is believed to be the only person involved.

Oregon State Police are handling the investigation.

One wonders how the police defenders here will defend this?

With the combined income and these circumstances of thievery and the unpaid mortgage and taxes I would definitely drug test this guy and his wife too.

Pigs... Police with badges guns and sticks. Theyre NO different than any other sect of people... ALL have their dirtbags...

Thankfully, its being made more and more public so that MAYBE, they will start policing THEMSELVES. Its crappy that GOOD cops get lumped in with all the dirtbags.

I dont see how its so suprising to people though, doesnt suprise me in the least. I LOL everytime some 22 year old cop tries to lecture me with an attitude when I should have some sort of interaction with them. Depending on how assertive they are, my level of respect and tone is adjusted accordingly.

To protect and serve... Not Harass and lecture. Some need to remember that.

That must not be true. We don't know the whole story? All cops are good whats wrong with you people?

The tax payers money hard at work. Good salary too @ over a $120,000 grand for the couple. Way underpaid for working the armory.

Lets wait until the investigation is over before we comment.

That is a crap load of money for a lot of people! Some people just dont know how to live within their means.
Its a shame we dont crack down on bad cops. We should expect a higher caliber of character and integrity. Police misconduct seems to never or seldom come with any consequences and if there is even a consideration of such, the union goes ape sh!t.

If he's guilty, then throw the book at him. But here's a novel concept for some of you: INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. And that means in a court of law, not in the court of public opinion. Yes, if what we read is all there is, it does not look good for Lt. Prince. But we don't know, and should reserve judgment until the process is complete.

Oh, and for you conspiracy nuts, the investigation looks to have been going on a while and looks thorough. Obviously, we don't know everything, but as of yet, I don't smell a cover-up you all seem to be so fond of touting as common practice.

All in all, very sad, regardless of how it works out...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top