JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went to the gun show this morning -- the place was packed. Didn't come home with anything, but one rifle and a revolver had me hovering for awhile and merited a couple return trips to the booth.

Another thing that caught my eye was the crazy long line for the Oregon Columbia County carry permit (like 100+ in line). What is this all about? I chuckled at the last required items... a letter to Sherriff "so and so" explaining why you need a concealed carry permit. What the hell is with that? How about "it is my constitutional right jack, and I should not even have to ask"!

What's the purpose of requesting that -- other than to demonstrate a form of power over the humble masses? Do they actually read them? I would love to read a few myself. You know, so I could decide if the subject is worthy... what a joke :rolleyes:.

"Because I can..." since I'm a law abiding citizen.
So sheriff notgod, send me a letter explaining (legally) why I cannot/should not obtain a CHL to defend myself - or just because I want to. Please cc to my attorney.

CSDA9V9UwAAUorW.jpg

Last Edited:
  1. You must have a Washington State Concealed Handgun License to qualify for your Oregon permit. This permit can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
  2. You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.
  3. There will be a $10.00 administrative fee for any fingerprinting of Washington residents by the Sheriff's Office for any purpose. The fee is applied to the cost of regular monitoring of criminal histories of Washington residents holding any type of Columbia County licenses or permits through the Sheriff's Office.
None of the above "extra" requirements are supported in Oregon Law for out-of-state permits. In fact, if I were a Washington resident I would be insulted to be required to show a Washington State CHL in order to get an Oregon CHL. After all, Oregon DOES NOT RECOGNIZE the Wa CHL ......

I think Sheriff Dickhead (oops, Dickerson) has overstepped his authority and is making up his own rules.

1. You must have a Washington State Concealed Handgun License to qualify for your Oregon permit. This permit can be used as one piece of identification when applying for your Oregon CHL.
  2. You must write a letter to Sheriff Dickerson stating why you want an Oregon Concealed Handgun License. Your reasons must be compelling in nature.
  3. There will be a $10.00 administrative fee for any fingerprinting of Washington residents by the Sheriff's Office for any purpose. The fee is applied to the cost of regular monitoring of criminal histories of Washington residents holding any type of Columbia County licenses or permits through the Sheriff's Office.
None of the above "extra" requirements are supported in Oregon Law for out-of-state permits. In fact, if I were a Washington resident I would be insulted to be required to show a Washington State CHL in order to get an Oregon CHL. After all, Oregon DOES NOT RECOGNIZE the Wa CHL ......

I think Sheriff Dickhead (oops, Dickerson) has overstepped his authority and is making up his own rules.

My guess is this is because columbia county borders washington and everyone from Longview who wants a CHL goes through him. This is his way of saying he does not want to do the work. Most people would pick a different county than go through the hassle of starting a lawsuit.

My experience is that they understaffed. That's why there is a 10 minute police response time for emergencies. That does not mean they get to create rules like this, but they also probably dont have the resources to do them. The usual 365 degrees of BS

My guess is this is because columbia county borders washington and everyone from Longview who wants a CHL goes through him. This is his way of saying he does not want to do the work. Most people would pick a different county than go through the hassle of starting a lawsuit.

My experience is that they understaffed. That's why there is a 10 minute police response time for emergencies. That does not mean they get to create rules like this, but they also probably dont have the resources to do them. The usual 365 degrees of BS
What other county would be recommended?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads