JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, not trying to start an argument and obviously I'm not talking about perfectly good or especially collectable firearms but...
An honest question for you guys that find these events so offensive. If I were to turn in a Lorcin (or whatever poorly reputed brand) that has about a 50% reliability record and convert it to either money toward a reliable firearm or ammo/accessories for a GOOD one that I already have, is that really a bad thing? An unreliable gun is a bad gun right? Most of us probably have some piece of junk in the safe that we wouldn't want to sell to someone else in good conscience. Why not let the antis pay us for our trash so we can support the industry with their money?

Okay, not trying to start an argument and obviously I'm not talking about perfectly good or especially collectable firearms but...
An honest question for you guys that find these events so offensive. If I were to turn in a Lorcin (or whatever poorly reputed brand) that has about a 50% reliability record and convert it to either money toward a reliable firearm or ammo/accessories for a GOOD one that I already have, is that really a bad thing? An unreliable gun is a bad gun right? Most of us probably have some piece of junk in the safe that we wouldn't want to sell to someone else in good conscience. Why not let the antis pay us for our trash so we can support the industry with their money?

Not such a good idea because the media will write the story as "A great success!" AND "300 hundred guns were removed from the streets!". RATHER THAN, "300 old, broken, and mostly not working guns were brought in by people looking for some quick cash" AND "Gun turn in less successful than expected due the fact 90% of guns turned weren't functional and the other 10% were purchased, legally, from people waiting in line for more money than was being offered for the turn in."

It would be written up as a success regardless of the condition of the fire arms, so IMO it's best not to give them the numbers at all.

Mike

I have a hard time visualizing a big turnout in Newport of all places.
Of the few people that I know from there, they are all hunters and would sooner chop off their right arm then turn in a gun.

I have a hard time visualizing a big turnout in Newport of all places.
Of the few people that I know from there, they are all hunters and would sooner chop off their right arm then turn in a gun.

Me too. Unless Salem/The Valley has spilled over the Coast Range into Newport.

There is certainly a contingent of retirees, many from the 60's crowd, that are settling that way. I know a few families that have and have met others while I've been out there. Just like usual, they carry the disease/plague of liberalism with them and the unsuspecting coastal natives end up getting steamrolled by the 'activists' that have no qualms about donating their time on school boards, city commissions, etc., in order to spread their dogmas.

aaahhh.jpg

Not such a good idea because the media will write the story as "A great success!" ...

Mike
That's a valid point that I can totally agree with. No matter what we do the media will certainly spin it. But in that same light, if nobody showed up at all and not a single gun was turned in, the media could just as easily say that that means gun owners are hoarding WMDs:rolleyes:. Really, they are just preaching to the choir anyway. While it may feel like dirty money or giving in to antis, to me, it's just a way to unload junk and slightly defund their efforts. That's $100 dollars that can't get used for negative advertizing.

BTW, I've never actually been to a turn-in. Just find the reactions interesting whenever one pops up. I get bummed when I hear stories about historically significant firearms being destroyed over a stupid gift card just like the rest of you guys.

How many people show up to turn in guns at these things? Considering this isn't anywhere in the valley I can't imagine that numbers will approach those of Portland. How many 2A advocates would it take turning in 3 homemade firearms a piece to show how pointless these events are? Especially since those firearms may not have existed were it not for such events.

It would be written up as a success regardless of the condition of the fire arms, so IMO it's best not to give them the numbers at all.

Mike

If you know they will put their spin on the numbers anyway, why not take a few hundy of Bloombergs money to put more or better firearms into circulation?

I understand the bull headed approach too but I'm personally taking junk in to turn it into more and usable fire power for my safe. I will cordially thank them for supporting my firearm collection when I have my gift cards in hand. I also plan on buying some sidewalk guns if the opportunity does arise.

I have scored big time buying guns from folks not wanting to wait two hours or more in the hot sun at the last turn in.
It really was a hoot and a half experiencing the circus that it turned into.

Is there a limit on mags? I have several mags I would sell $25 for. I haven't been to the coast lately and wouldn't mind a free trip.:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top