JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a Honda Civic 01 and would like to know how I can carry concealed while in the vehicle with a CHL? The glove box has no lock/key and there are no other storage compartments inside the vehicle.

With an Oregon CHL carry a pistol however you want, as long as it is safe from a negligent discharge. However, long guns must always be transported unloaded in a vehicle in Washington State.

Last Edited:
Yup... as someone who ALWAYS traveled with a loaded "long gun" (SBR, even) in the truck, and pretty thoroughly versed in the ORS, especially as it pertains to firearms... I'd be very interested to know if there's some hidden law out there....

166.250 Unlawful possession of firearms. (1) Except as otherwise provided in this section or ORS 166.260, 166.270, 166.274, 166.291, 166.292 or 166.410 to 166.470 or section 5, chapter 826, Oregon Laws 2009, a person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a firearm if the person knowingly

Keyword is "knowingly" how a police officer or DA interprets if you "knew" or not is up to you and your attorney.

With an Oregon CHL carry a pistol however you want, as long as it is safe from a negligent discharge. However, long guns must always be transported unloaded in a vehicle.
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.260

see 166.260(1)(h) specifically

Correct me if Im wrong, the OP stated 'with' a CHL (in Oregon) where technically, even in "communist" Mult Co. you can legally carry any way you want in a car with a CHL.

I was referring to the above....

Yup... as someone who ALWAYS traveled with a loaded "long gun" (SBR, even) in the truck, and pretty thoroughly versed in the ORS, especially as it pertains to firearms... I'd be very interested to know if there's some hidden law out there....

I have always been told by my elders that the "No loaded long guns" law applied to both Washington and Oregon. Since most of my hunter friends are across the river, that is where I got my "misinformation". Since half my travel is in Washington, I keep my long "truck gun" unloaded so as not to run afoul of the law.

I have always been told by my elders that the "No loaded long guns" law applied to both Washington and Oregon. Since most of my hunter friends are across the river, that is where I got my "misinformation". Since half my travel is in Washington, I keep my long "truck gun" unloaded so as not to run afoul of the law.

A person should NEVER, EVER accept word of mouth when it comes to knowing the law. There is no substitute for looking it up yourself.

Here is section of Oregon law that explains this issue: ORS 166.250:

http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/166.250

The only thing I can see to add are these "understandings"..

The only vehicle that oregon occupants cannot have a chambered round in their firearm (s) is an off highway vehicle (ohv) when hunting. The next cylinder on a revolver must also be empty, and arrows cannot be nocked; must be in quiver. Rounds in the clips, or mags are ok.

Any person licensed to hunt or fish are equally allowed to carry a loaded and concealed firearm; to and from, and during the expedition(s).

A consealed hg or rifle can be kept anywhere in a vehicle occupied by a CHL holder. Portland area=crossdraw and every nook and cranny :D, rural areas=strongside.

It isn't legal for a non CHL person to be alone in a vehicle with knowledge of someone else's F/A in that vehicle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top