JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I'm interested in obtaining my Oregon CHL.
I found an online course that you can take and upon completion print the certificate, I'm just wondering if there are any additonal classes/courses required to obtain my CHL? Thanks!

Here is the general information, but I used this to plan out which out of state I wanted to get to make sure that I could drive cross country without worrying.

Basically, you'll want to check your county website to see how they want you to apply. Here in Washington County, they prefer you to fill out the paperwork and then sign up using the online calendar. Used to be you had to mail in the paperwork and then wait for them to assign a date but you could call them up and find out if there were any earlier openings. Doesn't work that way anymore.

Good luck.

Oregon Concealed Carry Permit Information

Hello,
I found an online course that you can take and upon completion print the certificate, I'm just wondering if there are any additonal classes/courses required to obtain my CHL? Thanks!

I also took the online course offered by the Oregon Sheriff's Association and found the information comparable, if not better, than the information I received at a combined Oregon/Utah class I took last week.

Hey guys,
Thank you for the replies!
The part that confused me was:
  • Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
  • Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
  • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
  • Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
  • Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
  • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
  • Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course.
I just wanted to confirm that the online course would satisfy those requirements. Thanks again. ☺️

Hey guys,
Thank you for the replies!
The part that confused me was:
  • Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the State Department of Fish and Wildlife or a similar agency of another state if handgun safety was a component of the course;
  • Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course if handgun safety was a component of the course;
  • Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by law enforcement, community college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or a law enforcement agency if handgun safety was a component of the course;
  • Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officers if handgun safety was a component of the course;
  • Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
  • Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked; or
  • Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a law enforcement agency or the National Rifle Association if handgun safety was a component of the course.
I just wanted to confirm that the online course would satisfy those requirements. Thanks again. ☺️

Just has to say you completed 2 hours and it has to say handgun on the certificate.

That's pretty much it I believe.

Hello,
I took a $10 online course when I got mine. The certificate I printed out was identical to the certificate you got at the live class. It was accepted without question at the sheriff's office, and they even made a comment about how great the guy giving the course was.

Multnomah County, I took the class through the sheriff's department. Went about 4 hours and turned in my app during the class. I was emailed my appointment date a few days later. Went in and was ID checked. They required 2 peices, but my debit card counted as one. Showed them my class certificate, was fingerprinted, photographed, then paid and was on my way. Everything was easy and went without a problem except I had to wait 6 months between turning in my app and physically receiving my license. Most of that was waiting for my appointment.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top