JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I finally got my chl and Ive known some friends who have had them in the past. They weren't really firearm guys just kinda wanted a gun for self defense, and took everything the class instructor told them as fact.

Ive heard some things about laws here that I cant really find laws on the books for but on the other hand I haven't weeded through ALL the laws in Oregon. Ill name a few myths Ive heard that I haven't confirmed and if anyone has an idea if they are actually myths or facts let me know. Also feel free to post myths you've heard that have been debunked.

1. If you are out and someone sees your concealed and happens to call the cops you will lose your license for NOT concealing properly.

2. You are not allowed to use your firearm in defense of a third party that is not directly related to you by blood or intimacy.

3. Most self defense cases are lost when deadly force is used ( specifically Multnomah)

4. Most of the state parks or hiking trails in the Gorge are "No firearms permitted" even though no signs are up at the entrance to the trail.

5. You cannot remove your Fire arm in the car and place it (lets say between your seat and center console) and it still be considered concealed.

Thats just a few I have heard. Im sure there is more I cant think of on the top of my head. Any clarification from some guys who have carried longer?

Anyone have any arm chair internet lawyer myths they cant debunk or have debunked?
All false.

Thanks for all your responses guys. Has anyone come across something they thought was a law or something and found to be debunked? maybe something that seemed like it could be possible?

someone had said you cant ccw on your property, like in your back yard lets say or on your land with out a chl? hm i never wouldve even thought about that
Correct. Without a CHL, ORS166.250 only addresses "within" a place of residence as an exception to unlawful concealed carry.

Are you serious that you cannot conceal on your own property? WOW I mean just WOW!

well Im no lawyer but I cant find any other ORS that covers the subject other than 166.250...

Whats interesting about that isn't that most gun owners don't know it, but its how it exposes the fallacy of gun control especially to the many gun owners that support "common sense" gun control... like requiring a CHL to carry concealed in the first place.

I knew a gun owner who was having problems with a gang banger prowler who had threatened him, said he had to tuck is pistol under his shirt to investigate his driveway a few times (cause you know, didn't want to open carry cause thats not "common sense"). Told him that was illegal and if he needed his gun he might be justified but would still be charged with carrying. The gang banger doesn't have to get a CHL...

"Loophole" on the property CHL requirement. If you have fishing ponds or creek, or you have a hunting lease on property, and you have a valid hunting or fishing license, then you are allowed to carry a handgun concealed only if you are either traveling to the locations, or engaged in such activities on your property.

This however is as current as I can remember from the ODFW licensing requirements; of course some game wardens would disagree and make your life a living hell anyhow :rolleyes:

EDIT: If you always have your hunting gear and your fishing gear in your truck, car, SUV, Van, or on bicycle or whatever, then you can argue that you're heading somewhere to fish or hunt, and its up to them to prove you were illegally carrying.... only if you also have the valid hunting/fishing license on your person.

The CHL is what we pay for to get permission to conceal, it does not require concealment. It also nullifies that 1,000 feet from a school BS. Except apparently the U of O, which will soon be a private publicly owned college where the laws of the state do not apply so they can be a law unto themselves unarmed bastion of liberalism. Oy Vey.

I would highly recommend that anyone reading and responding here, or anyone that owns firearms, buy 3 books and read them front to back. Then go back and read them again and again and really let the information sink in.

1) In the Gravest Extreme by Massad Ayoob
2) Deadly Force---Understanding your right to self defense by Massad Ayoob
3) Self Defense Laws of All 50 States by Mitch and Evan Vilos

I am in no way connected to any of these guys or endorsing them. I have read the books and just figured the info is worthy of sharing. Sorry but I am keeping my copies, so no they are no for rent nor am I willing to loan them out. Fair warning---these are NOT cheap books, but neither is your personal freedom.

If or when the time ever comes, I will certainly do whatever I can possibly do, to have these 3 guys working for me. Much rather be broke than in prison.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top