JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No matter where I am, if a police office asks me if I am carrying a weapon, I will not lie to him. That is just asking for more trouble than I care for. I don't care what the law says, I don't want to spend major $ in legal fees trying to defend myself. If you all can afford to do that, more power to you.

Oh for sure. Most certainly never lie to a LEO, not only is it not a good idea, its also against the law. It is however not against the law to keep your mouth shut. ;)

Folks ... if you are going to carry a gun in public .... do yourself and your fellow citizens a favor and know the law. Take a class from someone who knows their stuff. Buy the book, "Understanding Oregon Gun Laws" by Kevin Starrett and study it. Don't depend on some anonymous person on the intraweb to educate you. They won't be there when you need them most.

Folks ... if you are going to carry a gun in public .... do yourself and your fellow citizens a favor and know the law. Take a class from someone who knows their stuff. Buy the book, "Understanding Oregon Gun Laws" by Kevin Starrett and study it. Don't depend on some anonymous person on the intraweb to educate you. They won't be there when you need them most.

Oh, sorry thought this was a forum on legal aspects of firearms in the northwest.

True...it is indeed one source for getting information on that topic. My point was that for something so serious and potentially life changing, a person might want to also seek other, reliable sources of their education and training.

But hey...you buy your ticket and you take your chances.

Oh, sorry thought this was a forum on legal aspects of firearms in the northwest.

How can I put this plainly... 'In a Department Store' means they sell belts. If you're in need - buy one, accept it as a stupid tax for forgetting your belt at home. There is something to having a concealed gun... part of which is to not look as though you could be carrying concealed. If you're a bystander in a conflict and the perp THINKS you may be armed, they could simply shoot you to keep you from getting the chance. If they've been watching the shoppers and see you adjusting your pants constantly, they may think you either have a full load (joking) or packing heat. Just a thought, buy an extra belt.

You should spend some time looking what is on the exterior of many private businesses these days. Most malls and many businesses are now putting up - No Firearms allowed. Actually spend some time reading those thousand notices placed on the businesses. I think I have seen 10 in the last week ( Of course it is the first time I have been out at a shopping mall in a while. Their solution to the issue. ( Many read Concealed or Open Carry - No firearms.) Sometimes it is not real obvious

Also be careful - even though a "Public Buildings" is open to the public - most government offices are not open to CCW
Also - Not all Private buildings are totally private. Government take up office space in the buildings and now you have to comply with those requirements

You should spend some time looking what is on the exterior of many private businesses these days. Most malls and many businesses are now putting up - No Firearms allowed. Actually spend some time reading those thousand notices placed on the businesses. I think I have seen 10 in the last week ( Of course it is the first time I have been out at a shopping mall in a while. Their solution to the issue. ( Many read Concealed or Open Carry - No firearms.) Sometimes it is not real obvious

Also be careful - even though a "Public Buildings" is open to the public - most government offices are not open to CCW
Also - Not all Private buildings are totally private. Government take up office space in the buildings and now you have to comply with those requirements

Our hospitals have it too. All Federal govt. buildings and the Post Office are off limits, but I wouldn't say that most state or county offices are off limits. I can carry into a library or a school or college or the sheriff's office. Many police stations now have you locked out in front of bulletproof glass. I "think" I can carry into the county offices that don't contain the jail and would if there's no sign. I'm thinking like the assessor's office, the engineering office, the planning dept., the road dept., etc.

I don't know about the state hwy dept or health and human services etc.

This is Oregon now. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

What about police departments?
And hospitals?
Anyone know of the legalities with CCW there?

I've been told it's a no-no, but I haven't actually been able to find an ORS in support of banning CHL carriers from hospitals or police departments...

Interesting, you know, I have never seen a "no firearms" sign where I shop...possibly becasue if they have a no firearms sign, I will not give them my business,,,

As to "government bulidings" in OR. The law says that if an officer asks to see if your crry is loaded, you must comply, within a "public" building. "Public building" is defined as a building owned or leased by a governmental agency. So, if you are required to allow an officer to inspect your carry as to if it is loaded or not, must mean you can legally have it in this "public building" so he can request to inspect it, I would think that is a reasonble assumption,,,,

That the law states that an officer can inspect to see that it is loaded (it is specific to that case), I would expect that you can legally OC or CC into said public building, with the "loaded" OC without permit being restricted in some local cases.

As far as I know, you are not required by law to tell a department store employee anything. They can ask you to leave and you are obligated to do so. But you don't have to let them search you or your bags.

It's the same when leaving a store. Like Best Buy or Frys, who ask to see your bag at the door after you pay. You allow them to search your bag as a courtesy. Which honestly I find offensive. But the alternative is to rock the boat and goodness knows nobody wants to do that.

Little bit of a tangent, but Christmas time last year I bought a small NetBook and an xbox game from Target. As I was exiting the store, the uniformed loss prevention associate asked to see my receipt and inside my bag. When i politely declined and went to move around her (she had stepped in front of me partially blocking my path at initial contact) Her reaction was priceless. She literally had the look of a person who had been slapped. I knew instantly that none had ever told her no.

Anyway back to the OP. You are under no obligation to disclose anything to anyone or even acknowledge them. Doesn't matter if your pulling your pants up, picking your nose, or anything else.

As others have stated, they can ask you to leave. For any reason, or no reason at all.

Sent from my Sensation using Tapatalk

I had never thought about the possibility that stores like Costco wouldn't have the right to stop you as you leave and check your items against your receipt. I don't really know the law, but it makes sense. They do have a right to stop someone if they have probable cause to believe there's shoplifting, but lacking that, wouldn't holding you against your will be illegal?

I'm a "go along to get along" guy and I'll probably continue to let them check, because they aren't searching my person, just my cart. However, this is an interesting topic.

I had never thought about the possibility that stores like Costco.

I believe that Costco is the exception because you consent to the receipt check as a condition of your membership.

Fry's, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, just walk on by. If you are feeling polite say, "No thank you." They COULD ask you to not return in the future and you would have to respect that because it is private property.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top