JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I sent an email to the sheriff's office but they sometimes take a few days to get back to me so I thought I would ask here:

One of the requirements to get a concealed weapon permit is that you must be able to demonstrate firearms competence by any of the methods provided by law:

Completion of any N.R.A. firearms safety or training course, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by Law Enforcement, Community College, private or public instruction, or organization or firearm training school utilizing instructors certified by the N.R.A. or Law Enforcement Agency, if handgun safety was a component of the course.
Completion of any Law Enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security personnel, investigators, reserve law enforcement officers or any other law enforcement officer if handgun safety was a component of the course.
Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service.
Proof you are licensed or have been licensed to carry a firearm in this state, unless the license has been revoked.
Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a firearms instructor certified by a Law Enforcement agency or the N.R.A. if handgun safety is a component of the course.

My question is, will my prior military service be good enough (M-16 only training) or do I have to show handgun-specific training?

and

If I do have to take some kind of handgun-specific training, does anyone know where I could do that around Bend, Or.?

You do not actually have to fire a gun for Oregon CHL, it could just be all lecture. You could just call up your county officer office and ask the question straight from them. But I would presume that prior military service will be fine just show id or discharge papers.

When I did the paperwork for Clackamas county they just looked at the certification paper from my class then handed it back to me.

Looks like the next class for Bend is April 24, 2010; 9:00am to 12:00pm

<broken link removed>

If you do need the class, I would sign up for the class then call up the sheriffs office and schedule an appointment soon after. I made the mistake of making an appointment with the sheriffs office after I had my paperwork done and that was 5 weeks later.

I could be reading it the wrong way, but I think you need to have documentation of handgun-specific training/experience in the military.

Present evidence of equivalent experience with a handgun through participation in organized shooting competition or military service.

The way I read it is, whether you've been in organized shooting competitions or in the military (or both), you need to prove you've "equivalent" handgun experience.

My girlfriend and I just submitted our apps. for our chl's in lane county. We submited a firearms safety certificate from this free web site: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
I asked the guy at the counter if this was acceptable and he said yes, no problem and that they have heard that several other s/o's have been accepting this free certificate for firearms safety certification.
The safety course is online and free of charge. You just have to watch the video-app.40 minutes, then print out your free safety training certificate.:s0155::D

I sent an email to the sheriff's office but they sometimes take a few days to get back to me so I thought I would ask here:

...My question is, will my prior military service be good enough (M-16 only training) or do I have to show handgun-specific training?

and

If I do have to take some kind of handgun-specific training, does anyone know where I could do that around Bend, Or.?

At least in Washington County, your DD214 must show you qualified with a pistol for your military training to count. I'm not sure if other Sheriff's interpret that differently or not. No handgun specific training is required beyond what you may glean from the NRA course.

My girlfriend and I just submitted our apps. for our chl's in lane county. We submited a firearms safety certificate from this free web site: http://www.mdgunsafety.com/
I asked the guy at the counter if this was acceptable and he said yes, no problem and that they have heard that several other s/o's have been accepting this free certificate for firearms safety certification.
The safety course is online and free of charge. You just have to watch the video-app.40 minutes, then print out your free safety training certificate.:s0155::D

Holy crap there goes the cost of a CHL course I wonder in Linn county will accept it

I see, I was reading into it all wrong, I thought I had to show training to go to the class at the sheriff's. I am planning on going to the class on the 24th.

I think I will email to see if the online class will suffice, that could save me a couple hours

You mean to tell me you left, your Name, Address, Birthdate and Drivers license number, on a website with this as a URL "http://209.48.185.14/welcome.aspx" ?

I'd be keeping a close eye on your credit report for the next year! :s0131:

You mean to tell me you left, your Name, Address, Birthdate and Drivers license number, on a website with this as a URL "http://209.48.185.14/welcome.aspx" ?

I'd be keeping a close eye on your credit report for the next year! :s0131:

I'm pretty good at spotting scams, it's legit.

Legit.
Do a lookup on that IP. Shows who it's registered to.

:s0155:

After I got all the docs lined up, I called Columbia County SO and got an appointment two days later. Got the permit in the mail precisely four weeks after I applied..... non-resident Oregon permit. I think Oregon resident permits move even faster, as the background checks come back quicker. Funny thing is, the CCSO still have not cashed my check to pay for the permit.... a full six weeks after applying. Oh well...... once it hits six months, its dead. Maybe they lost it?

If a site is free and legit, why would they want personal info including D/L number? What possible legitimate use would they have for it?

No thanks, even if they are legit. A hacker with some simple kiddie script could get that database and have a field day.

Legit or not they aren't using SSL to send personal info, big security problem!

I noticed that before I posted that it could be hacked. I used a mule to access it - wouldn't even use my regular computer.

(Add to definitions, LOL. Mule = computer with minimal software for which I have an image of the hard disk. I can format the HDD and reload all software including Windows and all other programs in ten minutes using the (Symantec Ghost) image.)

I have a rule of never using any legitimate personal info to sign up for anything on the net. I've been using the same fake info for so long that if has become an identity in itself.

<broken link removed>

<broken link removed>

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

Maryland Responsible Gun Safety Act of 2000

Firearms Safety Training requirement. Article 41 Section 4-201

The Responsible Gun Safety Act And What It Means to You. Firearms safety training requirements of The Responsible Gun Safety Act took effect January 1, 2002. The law makes firearms safety training a prerequisite to obtaining a regulated firearm. An individual may satisfy the training requirement by taking a course that is approved by the Maryland Police Training Commission. http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

I'll use my C/C on a known site which also uses SSL. Without that, the net is much less useful. I sure as heck won't give my D/L or SS #'s.

If unauthorized charges are later made to my C/C, the card company should reimburse.

At least in Washington County, your DD214 must show you qualified with a pistol for your military training to count. I'm not sure if other Sheriff's interpret that differently or not. No handgun specific training is required beyond what you may glean from the NRA course.

This is what I was told as well...it has to show handgun qualification on your DD214 or it won't count even if you really did carry a pistol when in the service.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top