JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to apply for my CCW license and I noticed that the county I live in says you cannot put down family members as references.

I looked up the Oregon state code and it doesn't exclude family members as references(https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html), I have also looked at a county located besides mine which also does not exclude family members as references.

Is this requirement legally enforceable?

I am a private person who doesn't want his CCW information spread around, besides my family I don't want others to be involved in my concealed carrying.

I do not think they actually check the references. No one called anyone on my list. Or have contacted me re. anyone who was kind enough to ask me to be a reference for them. A friend told me he used Capt. Kirk, and a few other fake names, and got his just fine. Hearsay, but who knows.

Is there any Oregon firearm laws Question and Answer website? I thought I read one a while ago which allowed you to email in questions but I have long lost the link.

It's likely not worth starting a lawsuit over since it looks like I will be moveing out of area but maybe one would only need to point this inconsistency out to the sheriffs department(although my intuition says no, government usually doesn't losen regulation willingly).

Never ceases to amaze me the efforts people will go to in an attempt to make things more difficult.

Just list 3 references your not related to and get on with it. Trying to change a County Sheriffs way of doing things will in no way help you get a permit faster or with more privacy.

I went to apply for my CCW license and I noticed that the county I live in says you cannot put down family members as references.

I looked up the Oregon state code and it doesn't exclude family members as references(https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/bills_laws/ors/ors166.html), I have also looked at a county located besides mine which also does not exclude family members as references.

Is this requirement legally enforceable?

I am a private person who doesn't want his CCW information spread around, besides my family I don't want others to be involved in my concealed carrying.

There is no state requirement for references. (ORS 166.291(3) has the legal requirements) Sounds like the Sheriff comes from back east where the reference requirement is common.

Depends on what you want to do, not give any references and then file a formal complaint and appeal when they don't make the 45 days, or go with the flow...up to you

The CWL law lists exactly what information is required (does not list references as a required piece of information).
The CWL law has a form that each sheriff's office must use, and the form shows a place on it for references. (Actually, they don't have to use the exact form, but something similar....)

So my conclusion is that supplying references is NOT required by law, and you should be able to leave that blank and still get your CWL.
My recommendation is to fill in references randomly from the phone book. There is no reason they have to be GOOD references.

In fact, what possible legal use is there for references? The law REQUIRES the sheriff to issue the permit unless you are not allowed BY LAW to have one. So what good is a reference?

When you get stopped by da polece you don't argue with them, they will stomp you into the ground!

My point, just do what you are told to do on the forms. Argue with them and they will find a way to delay what you seek!!! Complain to the Sheriff! Are you crazy?

I don't mean to be rude. I imagine you can find lots of gun friends to use as references and I don't think they ever check the references unless they have some reason to check you out. Errrr.............like a complaint about their forums??

Fear about someone checking with friends makes me wonder what it is you fear?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top